PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

Thinking further, it is not such a big task to do as I suggest if all you want is a quick screen print. Okay, no editing is possible but think of the steps:

Simple screen print:
1. Select File / Page Setup
2. click on the print background box
3. close the setup window
4. click the new PEBBLE print screen button
5. select your printer and okay
6. your screen dump print awaits you -walk to the printer
PEBBLE is still your front program on PC windows screen
for further prints, steps 4 to 6 apply

Using say MS Paint or Paintshop pro etc to get the screen dump
1. click on START at bottom left of screen
2. find your paint program of choice
3. click on the paint program to start it
4. get back to the PEBBLE program
5. press Shift and Print Screen
6. get back to the paint program
7. Press Ctrl-V to past into the paint editor
8. may have to adjust to fit the page (no editing allowed for here)
9. select File/Print
10. select your printer and okay
11. your screen dump print awaits you -walk to the printer
12. return to PEBBLE program (bring it to front) to continue

for further prints, steps 5 to 12 apply

when finished with PEBBLE
extra steps are:
1. close the paint program with a few keystrokes to save or ignore the current image in the paint program
or
2. deselect the background colour/image printing (4 mouse clicks) before closing pebble

the sequence if considering just a single print can both be a step or two shorter, but there are less keystrokes for the simple screen print/dump

The additional code in PEBBLE is just a 2 or 3 ines of html code (as I have played with it in the past before found the "solution".

Sure if you want to save the image then must go the way of the paint type program.

westaust55

PEBBLE - Print Screen Button

Decided to have a play anyway . . . :eek:

Unless one specifically wants to edit the final image, with a pdf creator driver installed, one can also directly create a pdf file with an image of the screen. See attached screen dump straight to pdf.

Clicking on the link "enable browser printing" within the message immediately below the Print the Screen-Page button (see the attached pdf file) pops up a window with some instructions with pics on how to enable the Printing of background colours and images.

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - Wire Edit Menu

The wire menu vertical heigh has "bugged" me as a high percentage of the time a wire is edited, it was necessary to shift the menu up to get to the okay button.

During a shower of rain this afternoon took the opportunity to rearrange the wire edit menu. It is now around 33% shorter vertically :D although also about 80% wider :eek: Cannot have everything I guess.

With the Okay, Copy and Delete buttons closer to the top, tentatively now much less mouse travel to achieve the majority of wire edits.

Attachments

Dippy

A print function would be the slickest way.

And even slicker would be correct scaling so that the print could (optionally) come out the same size as the breadboard to make a stuff-through overlay (as mentioned 5000 post ago when mentioning some other breadboard layout examples).

westaust55

A print function would be the slickest way.

And even slicker would be correct scaling so that the print could (optionally) come out the same size as the breadboard to make a stuff-through overlay (as mentioned 5000 post ago when mentioning some other breadboard layout examples).
Hi Dippy,

As mentioned some 5000 posts ago (in the VBB thread) I am no guru in html or javascript. Had played with it 10 years earlier.

My occasional searching over past weeks on printing and even discussion last night with an IT Engineeer (with a private IT company) whose vocation is writing in html and javascript based applications for various Govt Organisations (Education/Police) and major private industries could not suggest anything better than I have proposed to print the screen direct to a printer due to the way the images as treated by the program as background images and the fact that html and javascript cannot access/change the browser printing options.

If you have a known method that will definitely print background images without needing to manually change the browser settings then I am willing to look into investigating further the options.

Likewise the earlier suggested mouse-over option. Yes I can do mouse over for fixed text and images but need to investigate how to achieve mouse-over for "floating" background images - if it is not a wild goose chase.

Last edited:

Dippy

It was just a WIBNI. Waving my magic wand etc.
I haven't got a clue how to do it. In VB it would be easy, but HTML etc is not my job.
(THough I would like to learn it all, preferably in one afternoon ;) )

westaust55

Is it possible to not have them not set as a background?
cannot give a firm answer, but all cascading style sheet (css) related tutorial type examples and articles that I have seen so far seem to be background image related.

A supposed advantage is that the background image method is that is allows the entire area of the image including transparent parts to be selectable. For example, think of the letter "C" in a rectangle area. When it comes to selection, the empty central region and the bits outside in the corners are selectable.

Like the mouse-over idea for further details on (smaller) components, ability to change the image concept from background images while using css type styles can be investigated further but will not be incorporated in the short term.

Last edited:

manuka

Dippy- as long as "one afternoon"? Did that include a tea break ? You must be weakening...

WestAust55: That wire wrap menu is certainly more user friendly - & the WA showers are pretty fleeting too. Are we looking at A PEBBLE Ver 2.3 however ?

westaust55

@manuka.

Yes I will forward a V2.3 this evening to you, slurp and Rev Ed.

Time to leave it alone for a while then and left people start using it.

slurp

Last edited:

Dippy

Wouldn't it be nicer if people inserted/linked an image produced by pebble rather than a pile of stuff?

Some people (esp newbies) A) may not have heard of pebble,B) may not want to download, C) can't download, D) can't be bothered to download , E) don't know how to drive it even if they do download , F) Don't know where to find it G) etc...

I guess this post will be bumped every time someone uses it? :)
Everyone is quite rightly proud of their new baby eh ;)

slurp

Wouldn't it be nicer if people inserted/linked an image produced by pebble rather than a pile of stuff?
The image will mean more to most, a quicker over view too. Script attachments are only worth while if you want to modify the circuits.

Regards,
Colin

westaust55

PEBBLE Version 2.3

PEBBLE has also been sent to revolution Education at version 2.3.

Rev Ed will host on their website. Indication is that it will be set up in the course of the next week.

tarzan

Hi Westaust55

A couple of bugs in PEBBLE 2.3

Capacitor not showing.
i.e. Capacitor|0.1uF|522|271|4|Capacitor|C?||3|4|||cap_434

If you select an item from the sideboard then change it to a different item and make a copy to add to your breadboard that copied item will revert back to the original selection when the saved file is reloaded.

Suggestion: A text box to add some notes would help to explain any conceptual ideas that can’t be visualized in PEBBLE.

Request: Terminal Type Header pins Strip Size 1-way Please.

Thanks again for making available this useful tool to the Picaxe community.

westaust55

Pebble V2.3

Hi Tarzan,

Thanks for the bug report(s).

1. missing capacitor image:
Primarily turns out to be a line missed from one of the javascript files.
Maybe was deleted in a clean up

Corrected file is attached to this post

In your component listing, I note also that there is a space between the underscore (cap_) and the digits (434) in the component record that you provided.
The program connot file the image file if there is an added space.

Capacitor|0.1uF|522|271|4|Capacitor|C?||3|4|||cap_ 434

2: changed copied images reverting to original image
Hmmm . . . I cannot seem to replicate this problem

For those who downloaded PEBBLE V2.3 here is the corrected javascript file instructions:
1. download the attached file
2. change the file extension from .dsn to.js
3. save into the javascript subdirectory.

EDIT: Back from a quick trip for haircut (and no, not to Seville) :)
Just had a look in earlier version and the missing line from the javascript file was there in the V1.2 but dissapeared in V2.0 :(

Attachments

Last edited:

manuka

The recent NZ 7.8 earthquake (thankfully in a very remote area) has renewed interest in the likes of Daves 2005 seismo. circuitry => http://science.uniserve.edu.au/school/Seismograph/datalogger/index.html. I've hence (with Dave's approval) given it the Kiwi Patch Board treatment as an example of what PEBBLE offers. NB- PICAXE readadc is now at PIN2 to simplify wiring- it previously was PIN4.

Dave ran this initial circuitry as a "Silicon Chip" seismograph article ~Sept. 2005 Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Hi Westaust55

Suggestion: A text box to add some notes would help to explain any conceptual ideas that can’t be visualized in PEBBLE.

Request: Terminal Type Header pins Strip Size 1-way Please.

Thanks again for making available this useful tool to the Picaxe community.
Tarzan,

Text Box: Do you envision
(a) a larger variant of a Note tab as in a form of "post-it" note whcih might have a view posted at once,
or
(b) a separate window like the Save/Load window with a single window in which all comments are collected?

Terminal Type: as in a single "test" pin (see attached)

Same could apply to the header socket as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

tarzan

Hi Westaust55

I envision text box (b)

Single terminal as in attached image is what I was after, can do others if you are up to it.

The copy bug:

Select LDR from side panel
Change to Motor – shaft right (or some other)
Copy Motor – shaft right

Now take time out to check Save/Load file note that the two items are listed as LDR & MOTOR (misc_1 & misc_20). No need to go any further. If I’m wrong my apologies.

Don’t know how the space crept in cap_434 is what I have on subsequent test.

westaust55

Thanks Tarzan,

I see what is happening now.
It is actually keeping all the right information for the "new" copied component but the image reverts to the original component :eek:. Even text for label is in the right position for the image that should be displayed.

Since all the other data is right, if you right click on the incorrect item and then click okay you get the correct image again.

Will look into that further on Sunday and see what is happening. :rolleyes:

Mycroft2152

I came across a few of "quirks" when running PEBBLE. I don't think they are errors but limitations in the Javascript code.

The Stereo jack may be placed partially on the breadboard, Some pins do not match up with holes.

On the full KIWI Patch board:
you cannot place wires on the screw terminal pads on the left side.
the wire lengths do not match up with the pads provided for the stereo jack or header.on the right side of the board.

Myc

westaust55

Hi myc,

Yes, components are only aligned based on the top left most pin being on a hole. After that it is up to the user to ensure other pins are corectly aligned.
Maybe :confused: not so much a Javascipt limit but certainly more a time and code size limit for me to go to complete check on position.

wrt to Kiwi-Patch board, I think you may have an earlier version of the code. It was a last minute change at V2.3 just as it went to "air", to adjust the position of some holes on the Kiwi-patch board (away from exact scale positions) so wire spans did match and also permit use of these holes away from the main body of the board.

Manuka and Slurp were sent update files to update the zip package.
Looks like there will be another update (V2.4) shortly once I ascertain where the bug Tarzan has identifed is, so if your bandwidth is limited maybe wait a couple of days.

westaust55

Thanks Tarzan,

I see what is happening now.
It is actually keeping all the right information for the "new" copied component but the image reverts to the original component :eek:. Even text for label is in the right position for the image that should be displayed.

Since all the other data is right, if you right click on the incorrect item and then click okay you get the correct image again.

Will look into that further on Sunday and see what is happening. :rolleyes:
Bug found :eek:
another case of one line of Javascript code required.
I have spotted a couple of other minor points with respect to some images so will do some adjustment tomorrow (midnight here :eek:) and issue new zip files to manuka, slurp and Rev Ed some time during the day.
May not get time to add in Tarzan's request for a big note pop-up window this pass (more thought may be needed) but it will be kept in mind.

Mycroft2152

Hi myc,

Yes, components are only aligned based on the top left most pin being on a hole. After that it is up to the user to ensure other pins are corectly aligned.
Maybe :confused: not so much a Javascipt limit but certainly more a time and code size limit for me to go to complete check on position.

wrt to Kiwi-Patch board, I think you may have an earlier version of the code. It was a last minute change at V2.3 just as it went to "air", to adjust the position of some holes on the Kiwi-patch board (away from exact scale positions) so wire spans did match and also permit use of these holes away from the main body of the board.
I thought it was something like that.

I brought it up more as a caution for the new PICAXErs.

I wouldn't plug in a stereo jack in a breadboard -- the legs are too short for reliable connections. I prefer a 3 pin header or the adapter board.

RE: the Kiwi board, I didn't download the latest minor update. I would suggest adding a letter at the end of the version for the minor updates, and include a update.txt file to explain any changes.

Nice bit of work on PEBBLE

Myc

westaust55

Rev 2.4 has just been emailed to manuka, slurp and Rev Ed.

2.4 26 July 2009
Added a selector for both small and large note tabs
Added 1-pin test pin and sockets (under the Misc group - select from LDR)
Adjusted wire colours for some miscellaneous components
Fixed code for missing large vertical orientated Tant cap
Fixed code to maintain correct image when a component is copied

As yet have not looked into a larger pop-up window (as suggested) for recording notes.

But wonder if this is worthwhile form the viewpoint that cannot save text to files or permanently store within PEBBLE. Thus all will be lost when PEBBLE is closed. Makes me think that opening an instance of MS Notepad might be a better option.

Last edited:

SilentScreamer

But wonder if this is worthwhile form the viewpoint than cannot save text to files or permanently store within PEBBLE. Thus all will be lost when PEBBLE is closed. Makes me think that opening an instance of MS Notepad might be a better option.
Can it be added to the save/load window? Just have all the comments stored at the bottom, or would that cause other unknown issues?

westaust55

Hi Tarzan,

just downloaded from Slurps website as a check and wire lengths and positions are working okay for me. It is actually the kiwi-patchboard image that I have included old version in error

@all,

in the words of Mr Toyota: BU66ER!
Managed to end up with an old version of the Kiwi-Patch board in the zip.:eek:

Attached is the correct file with side holes moved so standard wire span lengths end on the wires.
It is too big as a .gif file so please change the extension from .dsn to .gif and copy to the images sub-directory within the PEBBLE main directory

EDIT: corrected zip file has been sent to slurp and manuka this evening.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Following some communications with mycroft over the past couple of days, I have looked at changing the code to permit other proto-board layouts with more than the “standard” 16 holes vertically in the image.

I have overnight also been in contact with nmcclana (of gadget gangster) for information initially for the half-board but also considering the full-board as layouts and colours.

A quick test today has proven that my thoughts were good (on track) and just modifying a couple more element parameter in the javascript code, along with currently used board specific parameters, permits wider boards to be displayed. I can still retain the off-board area and (using one of the added variables) just push that downwards which will involve scrolling vertically to see the off-board area with deeper boards.

That will, for example, enable me for example to show more (only 2/3 shown currently) of the DSE H-5413 proto board that I have used in the past and other boards as people desire.

Also had some feedback from other sources with respect to resistor colour band colour tones. Apparently some difficulting with colour recognition under certain lighting (fluorescent) conditions. These will all be incorporated into a new update shortly. No major new features so maybe as a ZIP identified as V2.4a :confused:

Last edited:

tarzan

That will, for example, enable me for example to show more (only 2/3 shown currently) of the DSE H-5413 proto board that I have used in the past and other boards as people desire.
Hi Westaust55

If you’re about to go wide, how about double breadboards side by side.
This would only be necessary for the largest breadboards.

Thanks for all the hard work.

westaust55

PEBBLE - expanding the range of board options

A double (side by side) bread board would be a possibility as well. I think that Dr_A might also have put this forward early in the life of PEBBLE.

Keep in mind that there would definitely be a need to scroll the screen vertically to work over the entire view unless your LCD monitor is say 1200 pixel high to see two BB’s side by side, or around 1400 pixels high to also see the off-board parking area.

Strip board as an image could be included but that would necessitate a new “component” in the forum of a cut showing where tracks needed to be cut. But then if the cuts are placed and an IC or resistor placed over the cut you would not visibly see/know where the cut was. All other BB’s and proto-boards to date have pre-defined “track” segments connecting a specific number of holes by default as opposed to continuous traces the full length of the board. As such Strip board (or veroboard) would need some further thought first before diving into that as an option.

westaust55

PEBBLE - advances with larger breadboards

Lunchtime today did some work on the javascript to position components and now can display a working larger proto-board such as the Gadget Gangster.

I still need to consider:
1. the orientation of the image. The GG board does not have silk screening so using the copper track detail as an indicator as to connected holes. This image is from the copper side so may need to think about further adjustments at the sides to reflect what would be “seen” from the top / component side.
2. the GG board colours. Basic board colour is taken from a photo of a GG board but conflicts with the orange colour of wires and resistor bands as does the green.

Will now also do an extended version of the DSE H5613 green fibre-glass board that I have used in the past myself.

Then will do a double (side by side) breadboard option as well. Maybe as 2 x 38row BB’s to start with unless the requests are for a longer (50 row) first ?

Attachments

AlainB

Hi,

I noticed a problem while changing from version 2.2 to 2.4.

The file included will load fine in 2.2 but will fail to load properly in 2.4. If I am not mistaking, it is comming from the "Note" insertions. On the first "Note" from 2.2 the 2.4 version will terminate loading.

Not a big deal once you know it. Just removing the "Note" references before loading will cure the problem but of course, if it was easy to do, it would be better to have full compatibility betwen versions.

Continue the good work!

Alain

Edit: I found out that if you change the reference NOTEPAD_1 to NOTEPAD_11 and NOTEPAD_2 to NOTEPAD_12 from the 2.2 version text before loading it in 2.4, it will load fine. There is finally no need to remove the "Note" references.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE

Have you considered shipping a standard icon for a desktop shortcut with the package for local installs?
@ BCJ, Not something that has been of high importance to date but yes something I can consider

Hi,
I noticed a problem while changing from version 2.2 to 2.4.

The file included will load fine in 2.2 but will fail to load properly in 2.4. If I am not mistaking, it is comming from the "Note" insertions. On the first "Note" from 2.2 the 2.4 version will terminate loading.
. . . . . .
Edit: I found out that if you change the reference NOTEPAD_1 to NOTEPAD_11 and NOTEPAD_2 to NOTEPAD_12 from the 2.2 version text before loading it in 2.4, it will load fine. There is finally no need to remove the "Note" references.
@ AlainB,

Sorry about that. I had tried to set most components up with a numbering scheme from the start that could allow addition of extra components, colours, etc without affecting existing work/files. The note tabs was one I had not changed from Ray Wilsons orignal work but then needed to impliment some scheme akin to other components to add the larger size in a consistent manner.
I guess this sort of think can even happen with the big league software companies as well. :eek: