PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

PEBBLE - Another Breadboard

As mentioned earlier, here is a Breadboard based upon the Dick Smith Electronics (Cat No H-5613) silk screened fibreglass proto typing board I have used in a number of my projects.

The actual board is about 30% wider as the accompanying photo indicates but in my experience the portion shown is sufficient for fitting into most plastic/ABS/jiffy style boxes I use.

Pros and cons relative to the Kiwi-Patch board.
Kiwi Patch includes space for programming socket and voltage regulator etc which DSE H5613 does not.
The DSE H5613 board has shorter 3 hole segments which allows more componentry at the sides of the DIP IC's

About to look at some transistors rotated relative to those already in the library.

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - Gains a keypad

Drew up the image for a keypad in 4 x 3 format tonight (as well as some TO-220 transistors in the "vertical" orientation).

Should get a 4x4 keypad drawn out tomorrow night . . . .

Attachments

AlainB

Hi,

I have a problem when I use the copy of PEBBLE that I have on my computer.

When I load PEBBLE:

C:\Documents and Settings\Alain\Bureau\PEBBLE\pebblev2_1\PEBBLE V2.1 pt1 - 4 July 09\PEBBLE-V2.1.html

Explorer stop the loading of the file and print a line on top of the screen that say something like: "to help protect your computer and bla bla bla". Then I have to click on that line and then click on one box to autorize the loading and click in another box to confirm that I want the file to be loaded. Then, the file is loaded. All this is a real pain that I dont have when I use the copy online.

I use windows XP, in french. I tried to change many settings in the internet options section without being able to fix the problem.

Any help is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Alain

AlainB

Well, I found it, just after posting.

For anyone with the problem:

Should be about that in english:

Tools
Options Internet
Advanced
Security

The third option should read something like:
"Autorize active content to execute files in local computer zone."
It must be checked.

Alain

SilentScreamer

It is caused by internet explorer's excessive security measures. It doesn't allow local files to access other local files, however PEBBLE needs to access countless images and scripts so it has a good moan:(:(:(

(Can you tell that I hate IE?)

manuka

WestAust55: Good enough to eat! IMHO it's time Ver 2.2 was made available for folks to get their teeth into. Yes?

tarzan

Thanks Westaut55

I didn’t think it has going to be that easy. Forgot that AK is just there at the side.
Did you resize the button cell battery? To me it looked a little too big.

Once again thanks for your efforts.

ValueAdd

Thanks Westaut55

I didn’t think it has going to be that easy. Forgot that AK is just there at the side.
Did you resize the button cell battery? To me it looked a little too big.

Once again thanks for your efforts.
The CR2032 button cell was "shrunk" by Westy back at post 254 after some input from others.

tiscando

The most replies and views

Amazing - this thread now has the most replies and the most views! (near to 10,000 views; near to 300 replies!) :D

Andrew Cowan

Only 4.56 out of 5...

And it's not even in the top 200 when rated by title! Should be AAAEBBLE - Actual Angry Aletronic Bread Board Layout Emulator.

A

tiscando

Forum records broken by WestAust.

This is another new no. of replies record, and still counting, after the thread 'pulsin then servo' with 282 replies. And also earlier broke the no. of views record, and counting, after 'Re---HopeRF modules' with about 7820 views.

I also discovered that westaust is the most active senior member of the forum.

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - gets relays

Nothing of great interest on the TV last night so drew up a couple of relays based on 5Vdc coil versions currently available form Jaycar.

The smaller version does not really suit breadboards due to pin placement but would be okay on the off-board area.

People can always modify the smaller realay pin-out to meet their requirements and as long as the top left pin is in the same posiiton no code changes are required. It can even be rotated 90 degrees clockwise (there is/will be an unused image misc_29a for this) whithout code changes.

A few small bits left to tweak (eg change white wire colour to off-white in some images such as LCDs) and a bit of code tidy up then will release version 2.2 within days . . . . . :)

Attachments

ValueAdd

Okay, I’ll bump for reply No 300 :) :) :)

Also great to read that a new update will be released in a matter of days.

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - a program corection

This lunchtime, quickly found and fixed :) a small flaw I had spied in the program with respect to the resistor component image dimensions for mouse selection.

If you had a smaller resistor size on the breadbaord, the selection area was longer than the resistor -in fact was alway equal in length to the larger resistor size. :eek:

On the topic of statistics, the forum database must have a hiccup.
Initial post + 300 replies = 301 posts,
but this is going to be post 299
where are the other two posts? :confused:

papaof2

The Forum software is a bit flakey tonight.

It shows that I'm on page 30 and that there are messages on page 31, but clicking page 31 or the ">" or putting 31 in the URL all put me back on page 30.

westaust55

Virtual Breadboard V3.2.12 is now free - just as PEBBLE comes of age.

This may be the death knell of PEBBLE at Version 2.2. :eek:

virtualbreadboard.com has, as at 11 July 2009, made their Virtual Breadboard package free for version Version 3.3.12. Seems they have completely removed the license manager.

such is life. :rolleyes:

But then maybe VBB does not include much in the way of PICAXE specific items. will need to look into this myself.

In the meantime, I will finalise PEBBLE at V2.2 and dispatch copies to manuka and slurp for hosting tonight. A copy of PEBBLE should hopefully also be hosted at rev ed shortly as well.

pilko

Took a quick look at Virtual Breadboard, ---- looks to me like a simulator NOT a breadboard design tool.

SilentScreamer

PEBBLE will still be ideal for schools. My school's IT team will rarely install software or updates. We're still running version 4.x.x of the programming editor and when they bought VSM it look a couple of months to install and it still isn't registered.

I wonder where the incentive is to make it free? Perhaps release a new version that includes the license manager again once a significant number of people have downloaded the free version?

slurp

In the meantime, I will finalise PEBBLE at V2.2 and dispatch copies to manuka and slurp for hosting tonight.
I've a long [work] day in London. I'd not expect to get that onto the UK host before 23:00 BST, I'll update the thread when it's available.

Best regards,
Colin

manuka

WestAust55: Well isn't it said that the true mark of admiration is competition? Heavens knows how many marketing VPs at VBB have had to re sharpen their pencils as a result. They'll certainly be trimming back their Friday staff drinkies. Anyway (& aside from VBBs tedious need to also have DirectX downloaded), your graphics are way more appealing as well- akin to WA spring wild flowers if you fancy a colourful analogy!

The Ver 2.2 zip awaits download at => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/PEBBLEV22.zip I'll also look to host it for online trials, but earlier Ver 2 responses had been a tad swampy of course.

Argh be darned, I've just added Ver 2.2 online too => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/pebble22 NB: It's now ~4MB so YMMV... Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.2 is away

I've a long [work] day in London. I'd not expect to get that onto the UK host before 23:00 BST, I'll update the thread when it's available.

Best regards,
Colin

Plenty of time there Slurp.

tonight does not end until midnight 16th July at the east side of the international date line. :D

For all,
zip files are now away to manuka and slurp plus to Rev Ed

have fun . . . .

manuka

Note to all - several Ver 2.2 switch image files initially did not show when running on line. This transpired as being due to their .html Switch etc naming, which should be instead all lower case switch etc. I've attended to these tweaks manually at www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/pebble22, & everything seems to now show OK. However the .zip file will still have this bug. Any other online Ver 2.2 whoopsies noted ? ( I'm running under XP with browser FireFox 3.0.11 ) Stan

Extra: Just noted online. Hope HH10D image & perhaps several other terminals not showing, nor are tiny icons for slanted NPN/PNP transistors. These all are present in their viewing splendour in the associated IMAGE file however.

Last edited:

westaust55

will look into the image display issues and provide a new zip file to those who are hosting this evening.

Funnily I have no viewing problems with IE7 or Mozilla FF 3.0.11 but know this has been raised before.

westaust55

PEBBLE - minor flaws fixed

For information of all,

manuka and slurp have both been sent a new zip file where the switch image file names are fixed (problem identifed by manuka) and a minor tweak so that the initial splash screen (seen mainly if your PC is slow) is completely behind the breadboard and thus not visible once the program is fully initialised (spotted by me when I tried on a widescreen monitor).

If all who are interested can give the program a test and identify any further hiccups/flaws (as opposed to new feature requests) then I will endeavour to correct all flaws and forward a corrected version to Rev Ed on Sunday night (West Aust time = GMT+8).

westaust55

PEBBLE - OPtion to print the screen view

Have done some further research into providing PEBBLE with a screen print/dump facility via a button and the window.print() function.

As the images are effectively in the background, using the normal browser settings, you will only get a printout with the heading text and breadboard borders but no images. :rolleyes:

A solution is seemingly not possible directly from html or javascript.

However . . . a potential solution is at hand. YOU, the user, must change settings in your browser. :)

IE7, IE8 and Mozilla FF V3.0.11 all have the capability to enable printing of background colours and images. For IE7 you must go to the setting via the Tools/Options/Advance route but for IE8 and Mozilla it is available at the File/Page Settup just prior to printing.
See the attached image for where to find the tick box.

You would not want to leave these settings on (ticked) as webpage printing for other purposes will use a lot of colour printing the background and other images that are not normally printed.

I guess this post is a bit of a hands-up for all those who are interested in my adding a print breadboard button with the known proviso that YOU, the user, will have to enable the background image/colour printing to get a useful print. I could add a brief note above the button as a reminder akin to the text above the Breadboard selector.

Attachments

manuka

WestAust55: Welcome insights, but just a classic PrtSc keyboard screen capture works a treat! Such screen grabs can then be pasted into the likes of Paint for graphics editing & eventual printing. Stan

SilentScreamer

I like using the free edition of screenhunter for screenshots. It makes it easy to capture only the area of the screen that you want. It can also take a image of the mouse cursor (which windows can not do) and be assigned to the PrintScreen button.

kollinsb

I'm with manuka....

It seems easy enough to do a simple screen shot and paste it in to paint (or whatever) and save it as a pic. Then just print the pic.

It just seems like a lot of work to save a couple of key strokes.

Also, it's a good way to archive your work along with the .txt files.

Maybe I'm just missing the obvious point. I tend to do that.