PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

PEBBLE - new breadboard options are developing

Worked further on the GG half-board last night to adjust the colours so that wires etc have better contrast. Followed that by the full DSE H-5613 proto-board, that I have used for some modules in the past. Attached is a screen grab of each board.

The taller DSE H-5613 is fully visible in a 1024 pixel high screen without the need to scroll. That suggests by scrolling up slightly to high the titles, 2 x standard breadboards side by side could be visible without scrolling as well.

Will hold on doing an upload until I have a few more BB variants including the double bread board options ready then upload all at once.

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - desktop shortcut

Have you considered shipping a standard icon for a desktop shortcut with the package for local installs?
Tah Rah . . . .

There is a bit of a limit as to what can be done in a 48x48 pixel image
For example with the isometic image not enough room for the word "PEBBLE"

If you want to try out the shortcut, it is a bit messy due to forum upload constraints but here is how:
1. download
2. change file extension to .zip
3. extract the file
4. put a copy on your desktop

5. If you have Pebble at C:\PEBBLE V2.4 -26 July 2009
then just try the icon

6. otherwise,
(a) make a note of where you have PEBBLE located
(b) right click the icon and select "Properties"
(c) in the line labelled "Target:" change the location from
"C:\PEBBLE V2.4 -26 July 2009\PEBBLE-V2.4.html"
to where ever your copy is saved.

What I can do with a V2.4a update (coming soon) is set up the zip file to put the program on the C: drive and put the shortcut directly onto the desktop.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - first side by side BB's

This evenings excercise was to create a BB layout based upon two "Swan Format" 38 row BB's side by side.

The jpeg will give an idea on how much folks will have to scroll vertically

the pdf shows that a screen print shows the whole PEBBLE screen on a single sheet.

That is it for tonight folk :)

drool for now :eek:

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - Gadget Ganster - Full Board

Spent some time this afternoon and whipped up a GG full-size board.

Awaiting some info from GG to help verify, but in the meantime, has anyone got an actual GG half or full board to verify orientation for me.
image is based on the pdf on the website which I understand is from the copper track side. So think I need to flip left to right. and re-organise the text.

To expedite completion, any comments/assistance from those with or have used GG boards? :confused:

Attachments

Mycroft2152

Spent some time this afternoon and whipped up a GG full-size board.

Awaiting some info from GG to help verify, but in the meantime, has anyone got an actual GG half or full board to verify orientation for me.
image is based on the pdf on the website which I understand is from the copper track side. So think I need to flip left to right. and re-organise the text.

To expedite completion, any comments/assistance from those with or have used GG boards? :confused:
Westy,

Go onto the Gadget Gangster website and look at the instructions for the projects. Most have photos of step by step builds. You should see how the boards are used.

Myc

Myc

GreenLeader

I am trying out PEBBLE on a Kiwipatch board, but I find I cannot make the connection indicated in red in the attachment. I've tried Z-wire wire combinations but nothing snaps to the right place..

Anyone got any tips on how to do it?

Attachments

westaust55

HI GL,

takes a bit of playing with I guess to understand what can be done . .

Code:
Wire||285|267|23||21|#FF0000|2|31|||
Wire||291|267|11||31|#FF0000|2|31|||
BREADBOARDSTYLE=BB37
or a slight variant (wires 2) which achieves the same thing

Code:
Wire||285|276|23||31|#FF0000|2|31|||
Wire||291|267|13||31|#FF0000|2|31|||
BREADBOARDSTYLE=BB37

have fun :)

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE wiring for Kiwi-Patch

And a third alternative:

Code:
Wire||322|269|22||32|#FF0000|2|12|||
Wire||284|322|11||31|#FF0000|2|13|||
BREADBOARDSTYLE=BB37
Edit:
Hint: after you edit a wire you need to click on it to snap to the new position

Attachments

westaust55

Westy,

Go onto the Gadget Gangster website and look at the instructions for the projects. Most have photos of step by step builds. You should see how the boards are used.

Myc

Myc
Thanks myc.

Seem some are soldering to the copper side and others to the non copper side. From message from Nick at GG wrt the half board and also from pics, looks as if only the Boss board may have a silk screen print.

My images, I believe, are effectively from the copper side. Does not affect the body of the board but would impact on the section with space for RCA plugs, DB9 connectors etc. Particularly if people want a "top" side image as normal.

Will look thru some more projects on the GG site tomorrow.

Mycroft2152

Westy,

The Half Board and Full board do not have any silk screening. The row and column ID are etched in the copper. Use these for orientation.

Both boards are 2 sided with through the hole plating (makes it easier to solder), On both boards the top side just has rings around the holes, while the bottom side has the actual traces. The BOSS Board is totally different.

Attached is my DIPTRACE working layout for usiing an 08M on a half board. The view is looking down at the board.

Myc

Attachments

westaust55

Thanks myc,

your image of the half baord confirmed what I thought I had to do (ie flip the board left-to- right or top-to-bottom and re apply the text.

Have now adjusted the image and code for the GG half-board and will work on the full board again later today. Also added a small note to flag it is "as seen from the non track side"

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - next update getting closer

Had a look this afternoon and have now adjusted the Gadget gangster Full board and created a double (side by side) 50 row breadboard as well.

Started to have a look at the GG Boss Board.
To proceed with this board will require some drafting license as the outer sets of holes do not align with the inner two rows for IC's.
PEBBLE as a relatively simple matrix cannot handle such offset holes without a singnificant rewrite to some portions.
Can handle the double sided trackwork as an image.
For example:
- pale blue for top side tracks and a few linked traks on the bottom side.
- pale green for bottom side tracks and a few linked tracks on the top side.
- pale mauve for a few track segments where they cross other tracks on same side as another colour - but could (?) still use one of the above two colours to limit colours to 2.
See an example of a portion of the Boss board (without necessary re-scaling) in attached file.

The need to totally restructure an image for Boss Board with some drafting license as mentioned above will require a few days to achieve a result.

Attachments

GreenLeader

WA55 - I am using the breadboard shown in the image below. One thing I like about it is that the power rails on top/bottom are not continuous across the length of the board, so you can have 4 different pairs of power rails if you need to:

top-left/top-right/bot-left/bot-right.

If there's any interest in this one, you might consider adding it to your already big collection of BB's

Attachments

Mycroft2152

Westy,

I spent a lot of time working with the BOSS board for my LED-erman project, here are some observations:

The BOSS board has a custom end use design rather than a generic layout.

The BOSS Board has white (opaque) solder mask on both sides. This makes a nice clean board and is great for following step by step build instructions, but a PITA to layout a circuit.

What is important is not which side the traces are on but rather which holes are electrically connected. There a traces on both sides which are connected either by vias or by the plated through holes.

The busses that are made of the zigzag traces on both sides of the board are very difficult to follow.

Color coding of the connected pads/traces seems to be the best approach for ease of layout.

Attached is a working template of the BOSS Board. This is the one that Gadget Gangster is including with all BOSS Boards.

Myc

Note: there are some specialized connectors used on the BOSS board, that do not fit 0.1" centers. You'll have to be a bit creative for these.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Thanks myc.

I had downloaded the pdf from the GG website but that does not have the two layers overlayed but provided as separate images so needs lots of cross checking.

Small start made tonight but will take several evenings at least to accomlish taking into account need for "Drafting license" for the layout of some auxilliary holes.

Mycroft2152

Thanks myc.

I had downloaded the pdf from the GG website but that does not have the two layers overlayed but provided as separate images so needs lots of cross checking.
LOL!

Been there , done that. I hope you have a lot of patience and good eyes.

I started by printing the layers is different colors and overlapping them in a drawing program. Still, takes time.

Myc

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.4a to be release

In looking at what I did last night, and having other matters to attend to this evening have come to the conclusion that getting the Boss Board from Gadget Gangster into PEBBLE will take a while (read days . . . )

As such, I will zip up PEBBLE at V2.4a on Tuesday evening (Perth time) and distribute to those who are already or shortly will be hosting, including Rev Ed.

Have fun :)

westaust55

PEBBLE - shortcut icons

Thanks BCJ,

Did not look at the forum again until after I had dispatched a V2.4a of PEBBLE to those who are hosting.
I did create an alternative slightly similar shortcut icon last night which I included along with the DIP IC image in the zip file together with some note advising how to set up an icon.

Attachments

BCJKiwi

Well I don't know what format that is in (no 2.4a for download yet) but could not use the last one as there seemed to be no .ico file.

AlainB

Hi,

Here is a board that I use often. On my copy of PEBBLE, It is working fine when replacing the file BB30203.GIF the image for the DSEH513 (Green). I saved the original BB30203.GIF to another name to keep it in case I need it in the future.

I dont know if this board is very popular and worth to be included but around here it is available in many stores.

Alain

(Rename the .DSN file to .GIF)

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Hi,

Here is a board that I use often. On my copy, It is working fine when replacing the file BB30203.GIF the image for the DSEH513 (Green). I saved the original BB30203.GIF to another name to keep it in case I need it in the future.

Alain

(Rename the .DSN file to .GIF)
Thanks Alain.

While I am about to take a bit of a break from PEBBLE for a short while having now got V2.4a out the door, I will gather up images and suggestions for some future additions.

Believe Rev Ed will have this latest version available as of Friday (UK time).
Gadget Gangster has an on-line version loaded.
Awaiting advise from Slurp and manuka as to when/if they will upload the new version.

Last edited:

AlainB

Hi Westaust55,

Just for reference, the size of the board is 1.8” wide by 3.6” long. Not much other information returned by Goggle.

Alain

Last edited:

westaust55

I'm happy to host/park 2.4a, but isn't Rev.Ed about to take PEBBLE on? Stan
Yes Rev Ed should shortly have V2.4a available from their website.

Ultimately up to you whether you continue to host - I guess bandwidth and available MB's of downloads could be an issue long term if your internet quota is limited.

nmcclana

The BOSS Board has white (opaque) solder mask on both sides. This makes a nice clean board and is great for following step by step build instructions, but a PITA to layout a circuit... The busses that are made of the zigzag traces on both sides of the board are very difficult to follow.
Yeah - the Half Board / Full Board are great for designing (they're basically breadboards), but it can be laborious for the builder. The Boss Board is awesome for building, but it's a pain to design with. On the next production run, we'll use a different color solder mask to make it a tiny bit easier, though.

We have a new set of project boards coming out in a few weeks (designed by Jon Williams, the Nuts n' Volts columnist), which I think are going to be a much better balance.

westaust55

PEBBLE - feedback from Ray Wilson

I have kept in touch with Ray Wilson, the creator of Virtual Breadboard from which the core was taken, with Ray’s approval, to create PEBBLE.
Had mentioned to Ray that Rev Ed will shortly be hosting (along with others) plus that an article on PEBBLE would appear in the next (Sept) issue of Silicon Chip magazine.
Ray did his own “test drive” of V2.4a yesterday and emailed me overnight.

Glad to hear it. I'm glad you folks discovered the program and were able to extend and improve it. It sat out there for a long time with narry a user but I knew that someday someone would find a good use for it. I may start to develop with PICAXE one of these days for something like a MIDI to CV convertor or other synthesizer applications but that's a way in the future. I have too much analog work to do right now.
I just went to GadgetGangster to play with the program. BRAVO! Nice work on all of the additions, new components and functionality. That is totally cool.
From my side, thanks to those forum members here who put forward idea’s in developing up to V2.4a.

Short term, I am getting back onto another PICAXE project that went into abeyance, but will still keep a watch here wrt PEBBLE with a view to further enhancements along the way.

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.4a

Thanks Technical and Slurp.

I have updated the links back at Post 1 on the first page to reflect the current hostings both as on-line and as downloadable files.

Have fun

ValueAdd

PEEBLE is now availabe to download here:

www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/pebble.zip

and to use online here

www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/pebble
@Technical,

Is it possible for Rev Ed to put a link to PEBBLE on their website.
Maybe on the software page under the “Additional resources:” heading or a “third party” header.

Now that this PEBBLE thread is seeing little new activity, the program will not be visible to newcomers to the forum. That tends to defeat the purpose of PEBBLE, in helping new members (as well as the experienced/current members) in depicting their projects on breadboards and protoboards.

westaust55

VA,

concur with your suggestion but maybe not seen.

I have just perused the Rev Ed website myself and find no reference or link that will remain visible (yet)

westaust55

A quick note to all.

Rev Ed has now placed links on their website under the SOFTWARE Tab for PEBBLE in both on-line and downloadable zip file versions.

It is about 3/4 way down the Software page under the heading:
PEBBLE Breadboard Layout Tool

PerthEng

Thats great Westy.

This thread may dissapear into the depths of archives over time where the link will be readily available.

Any further updates in the pipeline?