PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

manuka

Perhaps THE most popular BBROYGBPGW (0123456789) colour code mnemonic is "Be Be Right Or Your Great Big Plan Goes Wrong". There certainly are others, but this one goes over best in mixed company.

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.4D is ready

PEBBLE version 2.4D has now been completed and forwarded by email to those who have previously indicated a willingness to host the package.

As soon as recipients have indicated that they have uploaded to their respective website, I will update the links at post 1 for quick access by all.

ValueAdd

well done westy.

I look forward to "playing" with the new additions.
Sounds good particularly as I have in fact just purchased an SFR005 ultrasonic module.

westaust55

Post 1 has been updated to reflect who is hosting PEBBLE and at what revision.

Had sent the V2.4d version to Revolution Education
10 days ago but a check just now indicated that V2.4a is still hostred there.

Not currently doing further addioions to PEBBLE as I have other PICAXE projects to work on and progressively rebuilding 4 PC's at home with much bigger hard drives.

pilko

Stripboard Spacing

Westaust --- I realize you are busy with other stuff, but when you get chance, could you adjust the Futurlec stripboards strip spacing. The spacing is very slightly over spec. It only becomes noticable and a problem when using long components and wires (see atachment).

Thanks,

pilko

Last edited:

westaust55

Hi Pilko,
yes I am aware that for very long wires there is an issue as I have kept with the original BB hole spacings.

Stems from the original source program,
wires are defined by a specific number of pixels per hole which (from memory) also happens to differ slightly for vertical versus horizontal.

Holes for BB's are defined by size of image and margins so there can be a fractional variation which Javascript can handle. This fraction mounts up and becomes visible on very long wires.

My own work-around todate has been to define one wire for about half the length and another for the continuation - with one going about a 1/3rd of a hole past for slight overlap.

When I have some time to consier the matter further, I will think about a solution. It may be as simple as having a wire span say 28.1 as opposed to 28.0.

pilko

Westaust ---It is a stripboard strip spacing problem, rather than a wire problem. When I place a 40 pin DIL onto a stripboard it does not fit, but when placed onto a breadboard, it is OK.

regards

pilko

westaust55

@pilko,
noted. Can look to correct that quickly.

PM me with your email address and I will send the updated strip board files to you when both done.
Narrow one corrected tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

A few minor updates have now been added to PEBBLE.

1. The Futurlec strip board strip spacing corrected as identified by Pilko :eek:

2. The 74HC59516-pin IC image improved. That is added the negation bar over the CLR pin designator. Also dropped the negation bar over the Output Enable pin designation down one pixel for better visual appearance.

3. Added the 74HC164 14-pin IC = 8-bit (Octal) serial shift register with parallel out (like the 74HC595 but no output latches)

4. Added the 74HC165 16-pin IC = 8-bit (Octal) parallel load serial shift register ( compliment of the 74HC164 which could be used to add 8 inputs to a PICAXE)

4. Added the 74HC174 16-pin IC = Hex (6) D-type flip flops with clear function

Will email the updated files to those who I know are hosting V2.4D

Will make a "patch" file available here when the forum hosting site is fixed (again) to permit upload of files.

manuka

Further great work by a responsive coder. Those 2 "HC" ICs are indeed worthy of inclusion IMHO. Nice to see the "Aussie's own" 4D add ons by the way, & glad they've got your support.

Have you had any decent PEBBLE buy out offers from Google yet ?! Stan.

westaust55

Further great work by a responsive coder. Those 2 "HC" ICs are indeed worthy of inclusion IMHO. Nice to see the "Aussie's own" 4D add ons by the way, & glad they've got your support.

Have you had any decent PEBBLE buy out offers from Google yet ?! Stan.

Not that would support a life style to which I would like to become accustomed :D

westaust55

PEBBLE fixes and few extra IC's

Seems the hosts have not yet added the latest "tweaks" and corrections to PEBBLE as mentioned above (= fixed stripboards and a few extra 74HCxxx series IC). For those who cannot wait, the attached zip file incorporates just those files that have been altered or new.

Change the file extension to .zip and unzip the files into the directory where you have installed PEBBLE and you should be away and drawing layouts. :)

Indication from Rev Ed is that it may be a couple more weeks before they finish their internal testing and upload the 2.4D version.

Attachments

ScottCarson

thanks

Just wanted to thank you for the great program. The time saved using this program is signficant and the color graphics really make the task of copying the layout to the breadboard a relatively simple task. I'm planning to have our high school students use your application during our introduction to robotics engineering course. And since the program doesn't require "admin" to install, we avoid the painful IT approval process.

I've attached a quick screen capture which will hopefully be received as some positive feedback re your application and how easy it is to use (and customize). I've not yet validated the circuit, but it should be reasonably close. Unfortunately I didn't spend the time to learn the java details to add the customized components to the database. So the phototransistor, tactile switch, etc. are simply quick Photoshop revisions to existing components.

Thank you again (and to everyone else that has contributed).

Scott

Attachments

pilko

Great job Scott. I like your SPST switch, and the way you extended the resistors ( hadn't thought of that).

pilko

BCJKiwi

@ Westy

Just sorting a few issues on a new Windows 7 install and wonder if you might consider adding a couple of items to the first post to help those using Pebble for the first time, or doing a new PC setup.
1. The info re security as identified in post #286 - took a while to find it!
2. The info re printing background colours. I know it's in a file in the installed setup but might be more easily found in post#1 (it 's off the ie8 print menu and also in the security settings a couple of items down from the #286 tick box).

Thanks

westaust55

@BCJKiwi,

Yes, not a big task, Security part added this morning.

Will add some note on printing during the next couple of days.

Last edited:

westaust55

I am about to add some additional DIP IC's to PEBBLE including:

1. Rev Ed's FRM015 serial to parallel printer interface chip
2. MCP4822 dual 12-bit DAC with SPI interface
3. MCP41xxx series single 256-step digital potentiometer
4. MCP42xxx series dual 256-step digital potentiometers
5. MCP4011 single 64 step up/down digital potentiometer

Some of these have been discussed on this forum in the past and of recent.
Please provide a link to the relevant datasheet(s).

If there are a few more chips that that forum members feel could be of interest to other members post a line here in the next few days and I will add them for a new release shortly.

Attachments

pilko

Thanks for your work westaust.
I would appreciate the following additions:
--- 12 pin DIL
--- 10 position DIP Switch
--- Push button switch as shown in post 454

Regards

pilko

westaust55

Thanks for your work westaust.
I would appreciate the following additions:
--- 12 pin DIL
--- 10 position DIP Switch
--- Push button switch as shown in post 454

Regards

pilko
10 pos DIP switch is dead easy. :D
If you are brave you can have it now: :)

just go into the PEBBLE.html file and scroll down to the div for the dip switch, that is, the line:
<div id="dipsw_dialog"​

then under the line
<option value="9">9 switches </option>​
add the line
<option value="0">10 switches </option>​
and then save the PEBBLE.html file

or if not brave, then wait till I issue an update . . .

and switch to order will be added in next revision (under the "misc" (LRD) component group

Attachments

Last edited:

pilko

westaust, or anyone,--- I tried adding a DIP12 "shown below" but it will not open. What am I doing wrong?

<td><select id="ICPACKAGE" class="smalltext">
<option value="DIP4">4 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP6">6 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP8">8 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP12">12 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP14">14 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP16">16 Pin DIP</option>
<option value="DIP18">18 Pin DIP</option>

westaust55

Hi Pilko,

For the previous 10-way DIP switch, I had the image and other code in place – only one line from the html file was not provided.

For the 12 pin DIP IC outlines, there are a few steps:
1. add two gif images for the dip12_1 and dip12_2 to the images directory
2. add the line to the PEBBLE html file as you have done
3. add the variable and source file details to the imagedata.js file

For any components other than DIP IC devices, to add them to an existing group, there is also a need to make additions into the applications.js and util.js javascript files as well.

If someone wishes to create an entirely new group then the requirements multiply even further with the need to generate DIV's, ccs entries and add to exiting functions to support offsets, text placenment, etc.

One day I might yet get around to providing some documentation on what has to be done.
But that in turn will likely then spawn off derivatives of PEBBLE, so things become less coordinated and I start getting questions from code I have not created.

w7ky

Reopening Pebble file

Westy... Thank you for all your work on the Pebble breadboard program. I've been following along and just began working with it. I'm having trouble reopening a saved pebble file. When I load a saved file, the splash screen remains and the components do not display correctly. Only the resistor and hookup wires are visible and the wires are clumped together with their colors spread beyond the wire. I'm thinking there's a browser problem, but I don't see what it might be. Possible my virus software is interfering. My OS is WinXPpro on a laptop and desktop.

Thanks for the program and your advice. w7spy

westaust55

I presume that you are downloading the zipped version and unzipping it to say your C: drive.

It sounds like you have either:

1. a corrupt circuit SAVE file, or
2. a corrupt or missing javascript file which can stop PEBBLE running properly.

I am running PEBBLE under WIN XP SP3 with both IE (current and earlier versions) and Mozilla (current and earlier versions) Firefox across several PC.s

Can I suggest that you:

1. Post your saved file so I can look at it and try to load it, and/or
2. try and download the zip package again from Slurps website at:
www.minisumo.org.uk/pebblev2_4d.zip

I have just downloaded PEBBLE and it is working correctly for me including saving a circuit file, closing PEBBLE, reopen PEBBLE and reload the circuit..

Last edited:

westaust55

I have today forwarded Version 2.4e to various persons and organisations who are currently hosting PEBBLE at one version or another.

Hopefully all might update their sites so that the same version is available on all sites. All those hosting do update, I will edit post 1 of this thread to reflect who is hosting which version.

If there others who wish to host PEBBLE, drop me a PM with your email address and I will forward the zip file (6MB) with the entire current PEBBLE package.

V2.4e 19 December 2009
Added the Rev Ed FRM015 serial to parallel printer interface chip
Added the MCP4011 up/down 64 pos single SPI digital pot IC
Added the MCP41xxx series 256 pos single SPI digital pot IC
Added the MCP42xxx series 256 pos dual SPI digital pots IC
Added the MCP46X1 series 128/256 pos dual NV i2c digital pot IC
Added the MCP4822 dual 12-bit SPI DAC IC
Added the PFC8574 8-bit i2c IO expander IC
Added the 4066 / 74HC4066 Qual Analog/Bi-Lateral Switch IC
Added the 4015 / 74HC4015 Dual 4-bit Shift Register IC
Added CA3140 8-pin Op Amp IC
Added a Generic 8-pin Op Amp IC
Added a top view SPST push button switch under the misc (LRD) group
Added a 14 pin DIP IC outline
Enabled the 10 position DIP switch

westaust55

Did some further work with PEBBLE today.

I have now altered program code so that breadboard images only load as required/used.

This will:
- typically save around 4MBytes of download when internet hosted.
- speed up the start-up time (less time initially watching the "please wait . . .") when internet hosted
- speed up the start-up time when run locally on a PC, but really only noticeably on slower PC's.

As this does not add to the available functions or components, I will hold off forwarding this version to hosting sites until I have more useful components included as well.

Any recommendations for added chips in the next couple of days (while it is 40degC here :eek: they might be added quickly ;) ).

Note currently only including Rev Ed's PICAXE microcontrollers but happy to consider any chips or small modules that support the PICAXE which could be of wider appeal.
Helpful if you include a link to relevant data sheets and in the case on modules a link to good images or your own clear photo along with the recommendations.

kollinsb

First off, GREAT work!

Here are the parts I find myself wanting:

Multiple 7 Segment LEDs like: NFD-3641AS and NFD-8021AS

SMT-DIL adapters.

Maybe a selection on generic chips where you can make them the width needed? That would take care of a lot of the issues with one mod I believe.

Maybe add a width selection to the properties of the chips? The second attachment gives an idea of the width. Default width for a chip is "3". I'd like to be able to adjust up to "9" like the red line in the second attachment.

Suggestion1.JPG

Suggestion2.JPG

Also, maybe being able to change the orientation of different parts like:

PIC (vertical), LDR (also making it expand where it would go vertical), Modify switch where wires can me manipulated like regular wires.

Just a thought but it would be sweet for users but impossible to support I understand.

An "Import" button. When clicked it comes up asking for an image and properties (or similar to current product) Could have it backup as part of install and flag as modded so it knows if backed up.

Just some thoughts.

I'll let you know if I have more...

Greg Erskine

Hi westaust,

Excellent program. :D

A very small one, I was curious to why you use "Okay" instead of just "OK".

What about a community "program" where others create components then submit them for you to add to the core product (if it is up to standard of course).

regards

westaust55

Hi westaust,

Excellent program. :D

A very small one, I was curious to why you use "Okay" instead of just "OK".

What about a community "program" where others create components then submit them for you to add to the core product (if it is up to standard of course).

regards
Greg,
Welcome to the PICAXE forum,

To answer your question without a dissertation on the etymology, some of the reasoning why I used "Okay" was for visual clarity and layout.

While many PC programs have a pop-up window with the selection buttons in a horizontal line, PEBBLE has the buttons vertically aligned. Thus:

Okay
Copy
Delete

have text more or less of the same length, compared with

Ok . . . or maybe O.K. ?
Copy
Delete

I have previously suggested that others provide actual images that cna be incorporated but that has seen little uptake.

@pilko/kollinsb,

I will look into your suggestions for added 7-segment displays.

@kollinsb,
Unfortunately there would be a major rework and a lot of added images to permit IC's to be orientated vertically.
IC widths are set as fixed images but I can investigate some extra IC's.
Do you have some specific examples/links?

kollinsb

I think you have all the actual chips covered. I was just wanting to use a wider chip to take the place of the SMT-DIP board and go from there.

westaust55

Thanks elios - I have updated the hosting detail in post 1 of this thread accordingly.

@Pilko,
created the 1" high 7segment display you were seeking today . . .

Maybe will work on some multi-digit displays tomorrow

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE - more 7-segment displays being added

@kollinsb (and all others interested),

Did the graphics for the NFD-8021Ax/Bx series of dual 20.3mm 7-segment display as suggested.

Went back and coloured the segments of the earlier single digit 25mm 7-seg display the same colour as for the FND500 and the dual digit parts.

Maybe the quad variant tomorrow . . .

For the information of all PEBBLE users, the 7-segment displays actually have the pins under the body of the part. For PEBBLE, I have effectively removed some of the body height to show the pins as exposed. The actual height of the digit is however very close scale wise.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

SMT-DIL adapters.
In thinking about this for inclusion, it is a bit open ended as to what one might include.

I have some 8-pin SOIC to DIP adapters that are virtually no bigger than an 8-pin DIP chip in area. But o the other hand I have seen data on some 8-pin adapters which are certainly much larger.

I have some 20pin SOIC to DIP adapters that are virtually no longer than a 20pin DIP chip but are 0.6inch as per many 28-pin and most 40-pin DIP chips.

I can add some based on the types of SOIC to DIP adapters that I have/source.
It would be on the basis of
"you can please some of the people some some of the time,
but you cannot please all of the people . . ."​