PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.5 bug fix

@pilko and slurp,

Yes, I have found there is a bug. (thanks for that)

When you restart PEBBLE it has not loaded the BB images (part of the new feature) but when using the load/save function to bring an old circuit back in, it did not check and reload the required BB

ATTACHED IS THE V2.5 FIXED FILE
change the extension from .txt to .js and
copy it into your PEBBLE/javascript directory

@pilko/slurp, If you can confirm that this rectifies the bug as identified I will pass the correction on to all sites who may host

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE V3.0Beta bug fixed file

and for those who need it,

ATTACHED IS THE V3.0Beta FIXED FILE
change the extension from .txt to .js and
copy it into your PEBBLE/javascript directory

Exactly the same bug in V3.0(Beta).
Has anyone tried the V3.0 yet?
Although classed as a Beta, it is fully functional for FF Mozilla users.

Edit:
second attached here is the fix for the incorrect placement of the SPST top view switch in the MISC (LDR) group

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE

Hi Pilko,

I have recheck at my end and cannot further fault PEBBLE at this time.

I have tried with both BB3 as mentioned by slurp and the strip boards you have mentioned and cannot currently replicate any further BB image problems.

Can you give me a step by step guide as to what you are doing and post your circuit txt file for me to look at/try.

pilko

Hi westaust,
Still unable to load boards. this is what I am doing:

--download new board word file
--save it to desktop as js file
--delete existing board js file
--drag new js file to folder that old one was deleted from.
Attached is a file that works OK with V2.4E but not with V2.5.

Attachments

westaust55

I have today tried on two completely different PC's with both Mozilla V3.5.7 and IE8.0.6001 and PEBBLE is correctly downloading the breadboard image every time in pilko's test file and any other breadboard configuration I do from a "cold start" or a reboot.

I then downloaded the zip form slurp's website and applied the patched file and find I get the same bug as pilko and slurp report.
So fingers crossed it has been a zip file "hiccup" and I have in fact patched a second problem while looking for the first.

I have forwarded a new zip file to slurp to test which incorporates the patched javascript file.

If slurp reports all is well I will re send as V2.5a to all hosting sites.

slurp

I have forwarded a new zip file to slurp to test which incorporates the patched javascript file.

If slurp reports all is well I will re send as V2.5a to all hosting sites.
I'll check that ASAP but expect that first oppertunity will be in about 6-8hrs time.

Best regards,
colin

pilko

Westaust, For some reason the SPST Pushbutton will not position to the breadboard holes in V2.5 or V2.5a

Regards
Pilko

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.5 fixes

Thanks elios.

@ pilko,
in the words of Mr Toyota . . . B-U-G-G-E-R :eek:

use the attached replacement .js file in the javascript directory.
Seems a single line of code "vanished".

Change the file extension(s) from .txt to .js

EDIT:
and just to top it off, found that the imagedata.js file has a typo relating to the REV Ed FRM015 chip. The second attached copy fixed that.

Seems a further email of a new corrected zip file will be in order on the weekend . . . . (will hold out a couple of days in case another bug is identified )

Attachments

Last edited:

pilko

Westaust. I'm having problems, is it me??
When I replace the Application.js file and the imagedata.js files in the JS folder with the new ones, I can no longer load any components.
This is what I am doing:
1 Download application.txt and imagedata.txt to desktop.
2 Open them and "save as" application.js and imagedata.js to desktop.
3 Delete the original application.js and imagedata.js files from the JS folder
3 Drag the new application.js and imagedata.js files into that folder.

Regards

pilko

westaust55

Your description reads right but obviously something is going wrong.
Wonder if in opening/saving that way you are ending up with .js.txt as the file extension.

Can you try:
1. rename the original files ( to .old or something)
2. saving the downloaded files as .txt files directly into the javascript folder, then in Windows Explorer change the file type from .txt to .js

Presumes that you have set up windows explorer to show file extension types.

pilko

westaust. Doing it my way the extensions were just .js.
I did it your suggested way and it works OK ???

Thanks again

pilko

westaust55

good to read that you have it working.

I presume your copy is now functioning as required?

I will hold off passing a new zip fil to hosting sites until Saturday pm in case anything further identified in the next 48 hours

westaust55

PEBBLE V2.5b forwarded to hosting sites

As promised, I have wrapped up the recent patches for PEBBLE V2.5 and forwarded a new zip file to slurp and elios for hosting purposes.

Have also forwarded to Rev Ed and others but not hearing much back from these others as to whether they intend to update what they are hosting.

westaust55

PEBBLE V3.0a (Beta) for IE and FF/Mozilla

Also, PEBBLE V3.0a basically still as a Beta has been forwarded to the various persons and companies for trial hosting.

PEBBLE V3.0a (Beta) has a visible "bug" in that if you set the menu to the front, the images drag from the rear of the menu but do become visible as they move away form the floating menu. Codes exists that should be making the images appear forward of the menu when first selected so will need to look further into that. (it worked last time)

This version includes the various bug fixes that have also been applied to V2.5 over the past week.

The zip file contains a single set of the support files (ie images, javascripts, etc) but there are two separate html files, one for IE and the other for FF/Mozilla.

The only difference is the addition of a DOCTYPE declaration at the front of the IE version but I have not been able this week to find a work around for this.
Without the DOCTYPE statement, IE has problems identifying correctly the width of a window when reduced, and how far you have scrolled the window which causes problems with the floating window position.
But . . . with that extra line of code, the FF/Mozilla browser does not allow proper selection of components from the floating menu.
All the fun of browser incompatibilities :eek:

westaust55

PEBBLE - further advancements and ideas

Did some more work on PEBBLE V3.0 today (last day for a while - and the bags are packed! :D)

Summary of today's fixes and additions:

1. Fixed the bug where having the menu set to the front caused the components to come from the back rather than slide across the front of the menu when dragged.

2. Added an extra button for use in conjunction with the display/removal of the top off-board component area.
(a) Now possible to shift all components down if the top area enabled after components placed.
(b) Conversely when the top area is removed, all components can be moved up with option to:
- delete those components that were in the top area, or
- gather the components that were in the top area along the top end of the breadboard.​

Have forwarded latest endeavours to a couple of members who have frequently given feedback to trial before I forward to those hosting with a view of reducing need for bug fixes once hosted.

Might even add in a feature along the lines that Pilko has suggested for strip boards to display and print reversed without components for track cutting image. Could consider a button that is only visible when a strip board is selected that will toggle the view of the breadboard with track cuts.

Attachments

Last edited:

pilko

Westaust.
Testing V3.0b. Components have loaded 5 strips too far right and 2 strips too far down.
Regards
pilko

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Westaust.
Testing V3.0b. Components have loaded 5 strips too far right and 2 strips too far down.
Regards
pilko
Thanks pilko.

I can see what is happening. :eek:
A case of having changed the reference point from top left of window to top left of breadboard+off-board area means Version 3.0b lost backward compatibility in that area.
Will not be a problem for any new layouts started under 3.0 but will need some sort of patch to correctly accept V1 thru V2.5 layouts.
Likely can be done through the absence of the top side off-board area data in the layout text file.

Unfortunately will not have time to get a patch out on this "bug" until ~mid February.

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - fixes and advancements

Yesterday prepared a fix for better compatibility with the component/circuit text files from early versions of PEBBLE.

In addition, added an extra feature to the wires dialog window to enable selection of three levels for wires.

Wires can now, on an individual wire basis, be set to be:
- on the same level (standard) as all other components,
- under/below all other components, or
- above all other components​

Have a couple of PICAXE forum members doing a spot of testing for me prior to release to the general public.

Attachments

westaust55

PEBBLE V3.0c released

PEBBLE as V3.0c which includes some bug fixes and the ability to set the “level” for wires as mentioned in the previous post has been forwarded to those who are currently hosting for updates on Sunday evening WA time.
As companies and individual advise they have updated their websites, I will update the links in Post 1.

westaust55

PEBBLE - A start on how to add new components

While waiting for the hosting sites to upload the latest version of PEBBLE, I though I might start to address another topic that has been asked from time to time. That is, how can PEBBLE users add their own components to PEBBLE.
Adding a new component is not difficult if one knows Javascript but does involve adding code at different location in the various files.

Attached is a start to a description on what needs to be done to add a component.
So far, I have only written about adding a new breadboard.
but this will give an idea on what needs to be done.

As time permits, I will endeavour to put words together on how to add other component types.

EDIT: SEE POST 554 for latest Version covering breadboards and DIP IC's

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - Adding New Components expanded

I have now added some extra pages with a description of how to add new DIP IC chips.

EDIT: SEE POST 554 for latest Version covering breadboards and DIP IC's miscellaneous components and more

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - How to add your own components expanded

I have now added some words covering how to add items under the miscellaneous group.
And fixed a few of those pesky typos (yes there will be more of those :eek: )

Still more to come later . . .

Is anyone still feeling brave enough to have a go for themselves ? :confused:

EDIT: SEE POST 554 for latest Version covering breadboards and DIP IC's miscellaneous components and more

Attachments

Last edited:

tjetson

And fixed a few of those pesky typos (yes there will be more of those :eek: )
First page:
Code:
So you [COLOR="red"]hav[/COLOR]
been warned . . . . you proceed with additions to PEBBLE [COLOR="Red"]are[/COLOR] your own risk.

I think you mean HAVE been warned, also ARE might be AT?

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Html and Javascript is not

- are not, also HTML

Only wires and resistors and generated

- are generated

Typically I set these areas are set to pink

- repetition

The holes should be at 27 pixel centre horizontally by and 27.46

- centres ? centred?, extraneous "by"

a) first

- Capitalise

where ICname is the same as set in the main htlm

- HTML

In this case, ppen

- open

If your new DIP IC is a special and you wish to change to locate of

So lets get started:

- let's

if one of the existing sub-case options for a miscellaneous component matches you new ... for you new

- your new, twice

experience helps place the test right quickly.

- text ?

westaust55

Thanks guys.

I know I keep spotting typos each time myself.

Also good to see that someone is actually reading the words.

A few more evenings work to add more sections before arriving at a final albeit still brief description.

westaust55

PEBBLE - how to add your own parts expanded

Here is the latest version with an example on how one could add a new capacitor type to PEBBLE - same concept applies to some other components as well.

More to be added still but not today . . . .

Attachments

Lorian

Hi.

In "adding new items to pebble" there is a minor typo in 2.e - should say generatePointintArrays()

In section 2.f which is the code that actually allows me to define top and bottom margins - am I looking for something like bbxr/lsmarg in the horizontal, or am I just able to blank rows as in section 2.h?

westaust55

In section 2.f which is the code that actually allows me to define top and bottom margins - am I looking for something like bbxr/lsmarg in the horizontal, or am I just able to blank rows as in section 2.h?
There is provision with the variable "topadj" to alter the vertical height of the top line of holes. see attached screen shot.

The default is 18 pixels, but for specials you can adjust this further down by using tests for specific BB parameters.

Bottom side has been left more open ended. I have used a bit of each of the following:
(a) trim the BB edge to suit,
(b) in the definition of the number of rows of holes
(c) in the definition of the rows to bypass when defining y-axis row centres.

Attachments