Welcome to the updated forum

boriz

LOL. I just did it. I thought I was editing my unposted text, but I wasn't.

This is what happened. I clicked Post Reply prematurely and was faced with that silly dialog. I clicked the X in the corner of the dialog to close it, just to see if I could go back and complete my text. The dialog disappeared and I was able to continue editing my text with no idea that it had indeed already been posted. Then the next time I clicked Post Reply, I clicked 'leave page' and found that not only was I on the same page (I had not left the page), but I had indeed posted twice. Please can we get rid of this pointless and confusing dialog?

boriz

LOL. I just did it. I thought I was editing my unposted text, but I wasn't.

This is what happened. I clicked Post Reply prematurely and was faced with that silly dialog. I clicked the X in the corner of the dialog to close it, just to see if I could go back and complete my text. The dialog disappeared and I was able to continue editing my text with no idea that it had indeed already been posted. Then the next time I clicked Post Reply, I clicked 'leave page' and found that not only was I on the same page (I had not left the page), but I had indeed posted twice. Please can we get rid of this pointless and confusing dialog?

inglewoodpete

I have found similar problems. You can get in a real tangle when trying to leave a page that you have just submitted. If you stuff about for long enough, you end up doing a double post.

Haku

Can the "PICAXE Manuals" link be turned into a drop-down link like the previous incarnation of the forum, so we can have instant links to the 3 main manuals and a 4th to the complete collection?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
This is what happened. I clicked Post Reply prematurely and was faced with that silly dialog.
I tried to replicate this but couldn't find any "Post Reply" to click, prematurely or not, and I'm not sure what "that silly dialog" would be.

Could you provide more details on the steps required to reproduce this and also details of what browser and version you are using.

MartinM57

(a test trying to get double-postage) - which of course it doesn't do when you want it to :)

My symptoms:
- press Reply
- enter text
- press Post Quick Reply
- nothing happens for a while
- the "silly dialog" comes up - a dialog box that says something about you trying to leave the page and asking if you really want to leave or stay on that page
- ...which I think I dismissed by saying stay on the page - why leave the page when it appears your post hasn't been accepted? (although it has)
- so press Post Quick Reply again
- ...and get a double post.

Probably on Chrome, but I use Chrome and FF interchangeably without really noticing

Last edited:

westaust55

Some times I have received a message to indicate taht I am trying to post the same information a second time within 5 minutes.

But a couple of time in the last couple of days, when the forum seems slow, I have clicked "Post Quick Reply" and the forum seems to "hang".
After waiting around a minute on a couple of occassions with nothing seemingly happening I have clicked "Post Quick Reply" again.

On one occassion today (think it was this morning?) I ended up doing a cut/copy of the text from my post just in case and then "crashed out and re-entered the forum to find there were two posts by myself - so I deleted one. Have, as mentioned, gone down this path a couple of times recently.

It seems to be tied in with a slowness or slow response from the forum when submitting a post.

EDIT: And noting MartinM57's closing comment - I was using IE8 when it happened this morning

Last edited:

westaust55

Okay I have just had another "lock up" scenario under IE8.

I was editing a typo in a post just made in another thread and on clicking to submit the edit the forum seems to lock up.
I spied at the bottom left the "/!\ Done" indicator where /!\ indicates an error so I had a look and see the attached error message about vBulletin:

Luckily on this occasion when I crashed out of the forum/vBulletin I had done a copy before crash and could try again to edit the post.

Attachments

SAborn

I just noticed there is no shortcut for the code tags in the Quick reply toolbar, it would be handy if it could be added.

Also found to type the code tag in, it is now case sensitive, it never use to be?

boriz

I click the "+ Reply to Thread" button, then start typing in the text space. Every few moments there is a yellow flash in the corner of the space, an 'Auto-Save' announcement.

What is saved and where? Does the picaxeforum.co.uk server have a copy saved of my incomplete text?

What if I reply in anger at great length, then before clicking 'post', delete most of it and just reply "I'm angry about that." ?

What exactly is being 'Auto-Saved', where is it being saved to, who will have access to it and how long will it be saved for?

Last edited:

SAborn

That's odd because they don't seem to be for me. Where exactly are you typing code tags in ?
In a reply to a post i just typed the standard square bracket, code format and finished the same with the forward slash all in lower case and it displayed the tags in the post, i then changed to upper case and all worked fine.
Will try again here in lower case and we shell see what happens this time.
For refference i am using IE8, should it make a difference.

Code:
 hello Hippy this is a test
EDIT.... well it worked that time??

westaust55

Further to post 92 I have again on responding to another thread received an error message similar to the attached image on post 92.

This time instead of at char 5156 in the file:
vbulletin_quick_edit.js​
it was at char 6901 with the file:
vbulletin_quick_reply.js​

but again at line 11 with a code:0 and V=414.

Sorry the system at this end will not allow me to upload a screen shot image file.

Using Win XP SP3 and IE8

westaust55

Is there a way to remove an unintentional blog posting?
Some how (clicked on wrong “button” ?) while trying to respond to a thread about minimising power for a servo my answer ended up as a blog?

No immediately obvious edit/delete functions exist.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
No immediately obvious edit/delete functions exist.
If you put the mouse over the title of the blog you should see a pencil icon appear; clicking on that allows the blog entry to be edited.

I don't know about deleting entries as I've only had a brief play and have moderation options others would not probably see. We can delete entries when requested and I've deleted your blog .

gengis

The new forum wasn't half bad, but this newer forum really sucks. I have 12 pages, of mostly empty space, to read the 20 displayed headers that used to fit on 2 pages. Not all the stuff renders correctly using a Firefox browser (some of the text overlaps other text).

techElder

I use FireFox on both a Mac and a PC and see no such problems. Perhaps there's something going on locally with your computer?

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you have the latest Version 4 or Version 5 of FireFox?

Dippy

I use IE8 on XP and 7-Pro and Firefox on XP.
I have no problems at all.

The only differnt characteristic I see is when logging off and the confirmation "Are you sure..." panel pops up.
In 7-Pro the Forum Window remains intact. In XP some if it disappears (part erase). Do I care about that? I couldn't give a hoot.
It may be different on other PCs.. c'est la vie.

boriz

See post #95. What exactly is being 'Auto-Saved', where is it being saved to, who will have access to it and how long will it be saved for?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Auto-save saves your latest editor text (into your account in the system database) every minute. If your browser crashes or you have a power cut etc. etc. the next time you start the editor (i.e. you restart a new post/reply) you will automatically get a 'Restore Auto Save' button at the bottom of the editor allowing you to restore the old text if you want to. It only saves the last text you were working on, so is overwritten every time you start a new post / reply.

John West

That's a handy feature for me for when I make a long-winded late evening (in the US) post that disappears during Rev Ed's early morning system maintenance.

Dippy

Advanced Search

Ummm... now I'm probably going daft.

Advanced Search:
Key word: "interested"
User name: Dippy.
Find Posts: A week ago and Newer.

Click the tit.
Result: "Sorry no matches... blah, blah...".

Yet, I included that word in my last post on Ec's Rapid thread.

If you input a username it seems only to give results if the username actually STARTED the thread but doesn't say that in the Advanced Search window.
Is that right?
If so, it would be nice if Thread Starter or not was a check-box option.
Was it like that in the previous Froum format? I can't remember.

nbw

I use FireFox on both a Mac and a PC and see no such problems. Perhaps there's something going on locally with your computer?

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you have the latest Version 4 or Version 5 of FireFox?
Crumbs, they just released Firefox v6.0 ... I can't keep up!!

gengis

I use IE8 on XP and 7-Pro and Firefox on XP. I have no problems at all. The only differnt characteristic I see is when logging off and the confirmation "Are you sure..." panel pops up. In 7-Pro the Forum Window remains intact. In XP some if it disappears (part erase). Do I care about that? I couldn't give a hoot. It may be different on other PCs.. c'est la vie.
I don't know what the deal was, but it only lasted a day (I was out of town so "day" is relative). I tried rebooting and still no joy - but since I'm back it's working normally. I'm using FireFox 2 something - latest version for WinME

nick12ab

Crumbs, they just released Firefox v6.0 ... I can't keep up!!
I'm using a 'nightly build' of Firefox (9.0a1) and everything still works functionally so newer browsers should still work except the vertical alignment of the page numbers at the bottom is different from that of the first/last buttons and the forward/next buttons, could be an issue with the forum itself though so is this happening to anyone else?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
AHHA! Even the venerable Hippy is not immune to double posting on the new forum: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?19189-multiple-samples-from-ADC&p=179185#post179185

NOW can we get rid of that pointless and confusing 'leave page' dialog?
Yes, I'd spotted that one, but oddly not a 'leave page' issue.

I posted, the browser did the 'hour glass trick', so hit back which instantly took me to the list of new posts I'd entered from ( no leave page pop-up ). I clicked the link to the same thread, saw my post had appeared, clicked back again and carried on with other threads. When I visited later I saw it had double posted. Weird.