Welcome to the updated forum

papaof2

Anyone else experiencing the View First Unread link taking you to the top of the page containing that message instead of to the message itself?

IE8, XP Pro with latest service pack, all the Microsoft updates.
Followup: After further testing, the behavior is: First Unread goes to the message if a single page, but goes to top of page containing message if a multi-page thread. This worked correctly in the previous version of the forum software.

John

spiritbear

For some reason the orange and black combo was easier to scan for interesting posts. Now the colours are so subtle its hard to scan through active forum for interesting posts. I find it harder to read.

I also hangout on this forum - its easier to read the post headings. http://ubnt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Last edited:

westaust55

Seeking slight change to forum controls

Is it possible to change the forum settings slightly.

At the bottom left there is the "+Reply to Thread" which puts you into smaller windowed Quick Reply mode

Then at the bottom right of each post there are {"Edit"}, "Reply", "Reply With Quote" and the "MultiQuote" buttons.
Again, the "Reply button puts you into smaller windowed Quick Reply mode.

In the Quick Reply mode we must then click on the "Go Advanced" button if we wish to use some formatting functions such as indentation, "Wrap in code markers" etc.

Can the forum PLEASE be altered such that the "+Reply to Thread" at the bottom left of the thread page takes the user straight into the larger window with the full suite of control features? :confused:

Jamster

I agree with westaust's comment, I clicked Reply to Thread and, even after reading his post, waited for the page to change... :eek:

Dippy

I'm using IE8.

If I'm NOT logged in and click reply I get the advanced full whistles reply screen (after the login of course).
If I'm already logged in and click reply I get the little one.
Why is that?
(Though, quite frankly, I'm not going to lose (just one "o" in lose) any sleep :) )

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Please note that we don't write the forum software ourselves so while we can note issues raised, fix things like bringing our links up to date and similar, some of the issues are outside of our direct control.

Some issues may even be outside the forum software author's direct control. If a particular browser does not do what is expected there is often little to be done than try to find a way to make it work with that browser, and if a solution causes a problem in turn with another browser then one can be stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is an ongoing challenge to make everything work as desired with all browsers and requires working on a foundation of shifting sand as new browsers arrive and even older browsers change.

We obviously want all members and others to have their visiting experience expectations met and will seek to do what we can to make it so.

westaust55

I find the same situation as Dippy using FireFox 5.0.

If I log out then use the "+ Reply to Thread" button, after the log in requirement, I get the full sized window and the full compliment of editing options.

Yes hippy, I recognise that the forum software (VBulletin) is written by others. My though/hope is that maybe the startup scheme for a new post may include options that Rev Ed can select how a post window is initialised.

boriz

I think the new forum is fine. Not perfect (nor was the other), but fine none the less. Thanks for resisting the temptation to add bells, whistles, colours and textures.

allison1947

As person with reduced vision I find the light blue text difficult to read on the main page

Actual posts are fine.

Is it possible to use a colour combination with more contrast.

John West

I too find it a bit too pale to easily read. I realize that a web designer took some time to select a cheery and esthetically pleasing set of colors to make the place look nice, but I read purely for content, (as I'm sure many techies do,) and anything that makes reading even slightly more difficult for me isn't greatly welcomed. I found the old color combination to be a bit harsh, but easy to read.

nick12ab

when a % is used in a binary number like this: %01010000, sometimes the % and the first two bits get dropped.

%10
%11

Tends to happen when the post is edited.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Is it possible to change the forum settings slightly.

At the bottom left there is the "+Reply to Thread" which puts you into smaller windowed Quick Reply mode

Then at the bottom right of each post there are {"Edit"}, "Reply", "Reply With Quote" and the "MultiQuote" buttons.
Again, the "Reply button puts you into smaller windowed Quick Reply mode.

In the Quick Reply mode we must then click on the "Go Advanced" button if we wish to use some formatting functions such as indentation, "Wrap in code markers" etc.

Can the forum PLEASE be altered such that the "+Reply to Thread" at the bottom left of the thread page takes the user straight into the larger window with the full suite of control features? :confused:
We have looked into this and this behaviour is by design by the vBulletin forum authors when you are logged in and your browser supports AJAX. The quick reply box is then generated 'inline', which basically means there is no browser refresh to get to the reply entry screen which can have considerable speed advantages, particularly on mobile devices etc. Clicking 'Go advanced' always involves a full browser page refresh where you are taken off to a completely new web page, the full reply page, and is therefore considerably slower. Turning this inline reply feature off would mean this much slower option is compulsory for everyone, which we are not keen to do. However we'll look further into the options.

westaust55

@Technical,
Thanks for the situation update - understand what you are saying.
Using both desktop and mobile devices for access these days myself.

spiritbear

Ive previously mentioned the difficulty of reading the list of posts and current posts. I have trouble reading the light blue, as now do others. A higher contrast colour combo would be better. No one seems to have responded to this or the other posters, maybe its being discussed, but it seems typical that the users who actually use the forum are never consulted over the changes or options. There seems to be countless examples of usability failures on websites ever since the Internet was born. Jacob Neilsen and his useit site explains this for ever, but hey its "Usability Week 2011" right now, with courses that cover:

" how to balance the tension between designing a page that:

* Looks good (visual design aesthetics)
* Feels good (easy to use; high usability)
* Converts well (strong KPI score) ..."

The next one starts in NYC: http://www.nngroup.com/events/tutorials/web_design.html

hint-hint ...

Last edited:

techElder

Technical has responded several times in this thread. That's commendable. The forum example that you referenced is almost exactly like this new forum format except that RevEd has made the listings in BOLD blue. The posts in both places are black on white, so I don't see how you can get much better contrast than that.

Hey, let these guys build/respond to PICAXE stuff. The damn forum is just fine, but I'm sure that tweaks will happen over time.

Ive previously mentioned the difficulty of reading the list of posts and current posts. I have trouble reading the light blue, as now do others. A higher contrast colour combo would be better. No one seems to have responded to this or the other posters, maybe its being discussed, but it seems typical that the users who actually use the forum are never consulted over the changes or options ... hint-hint ...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We listen to all feedback and will consider any requests - as already stated in post #1 we will be tweaking the system as required over the next few weeks. We will look into the possibility of using a darker blue, unread posts are already quite dark (as they are bold) so we assume that people are mainly talking about the 'already read' thread titles (which are currently light blue).

Dippy

I'll go along with that TexCH.

I reckon this is clearer than many other Forums... even if it DID take me 5 minutes to find the 'Log Out' button first time around.
I see so many sites where 8pt text is used for the link button; just check out www.bt.yahoo.com.
Those ones drive me nuts; all very trendy but very annoying.

This forum only has a couple of 8pt text links, so I'm not going to lose sleep.
And anything new causes some upset.

I just wish the smilies were clearer. I have to borrow the neighbour's spectacles to see whether someone is smiling.
Very arty but too pastel. Anyway, as I never smile I'll never need them!

Maybe the authors could include a 'lose' vs 'loose' filter.:D (Tha's a Big Grin apparently).

Anyway, well done all. And let's get back to the important task of blowing up MOSFETs.

John West

Technical has responded several times in this thread. That's commendable. The forum example that you referenced is almost exactly like this new forum format except that RevEd has made the listings in BOLD blue. The posts in both places are black on white, so I don't see how you can get much better contrast than that.

Hey, let these guys build/respond to PICAXE stuff. The damn forum is just fine, but I'm sure that tweaks will happen over time.

While it's certainly not necessary for Rev. Ed. to have someone respond to every comment, (I'm surprised and pleased when they do reply,) if they didn't want any feedback on the new forum changes they wouldn't have posted this open thread on the topic. I'd suggest all PICAXE users make whatever comments regarding the changes that they wish to and think would be helpful. Rev. Ed. can do whatever they wish with them. But clearly, stifling comment on the changes is detrimental to the site and to Rev. Ed's. goal of an attractive and effective web site.

pilko

My two penneth,
The icons for "Contains unread posts" etc do not indicate properly. They frequently indicate "read" when they havn't been.
The thread titles also show light blue when they shouldn't.
This was also a problem with the old forum.

pilko.

westaust55

Seems to be very easy to make double posts.
When I accidently clicked the submit twice in succession a couple of days ago, I was presented with a message indicating I was about to do a "Double Post" and could back out / divert without a problem.
Better than the old version of the forum where it allowed the second post and I then had to delete the duplicate.

nick12ab

Would it be possible to add Programming Editor-style directives like the #error directive so that you can use it to prevent yourself from accidentally posting a new post/thread before you've finished?

Dippy

I noticed a double post by JaguarJoe here http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?18923-Auto-level-adjuster&p=176566#post176566
so it's still an issue.
Why not get the webcode writers to disable the Post Reply button immediately after the first click - that's what many people do when writing Visualxxxx code.

I don't suppose we could have a separate dropdown for the Manuals 1,2 and 3 like we used to have?
Or do we? I can't find it so if someone could let me know where it is I'd be grateful.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are not aware of anyone else loosing any messages at the upgrade - ours are certainly still there.

westaust55

Seems to be very easy to make double posts.
Attached is what I see when I deliberately try to double click on the Post Quick Reply button.
I see the same under Win XP and Win 7 with Mozilla FIrefox 5

EDIT: and although it may be a slight inconvenience, if a double post does occur (I have not managed one since the new forum came on line) then
by going into EDIT mode for the duplicate post there is the facility to duplicate (but not the first post of a thread - where there should not be a need to)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

Oh no... finally , the disease has spread to Technical....
"anyone else loosing any messages "

Aaaargh! The end of the world is coming..... and people on the Jeremy Kyle show will have a full set of teeth and no tattoos.

John West

I jumped into the forum and clicked on a schematic pdf, which downloaded, I took a look at and attempted to comment on. The log-in screen popped up and I logged in, but then went into never never land at the "thank you for logging in" screen.

I can avoid this by first logging in, then looking around, but tend not to log in unless (and until) I wish to comment, so it would be nice to have this order of events functional.

Also, I had to look through two pages of threads in order to dig up this one to comment on the new upgrade. I can see how it could be still further down the scroll when someone wanted to point out a bug in the new code. Perhaps it could be moved over to "Blogs" so it wouldn't get buried.

Last edited:

westaust55

Also, I had to look through two pages of threads in order to dig up this one to comment on the new upgrade. I can see how it could be still further down the scroll when someone wanted to point out a bug in the new code. Perhaps it could be moved over to "Blogs" so it wouldn't get buried.
This is where the much maligned search function can help, particularly if you have an idea of the subject and can think of a relatively unique word.
Using the word "updated" on a titles only search came up with just 9 hits and second from the top was this thread.