Welcome to the updated forum

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If you are viewing this post you are on the updated forum, which will alllow us to add a number of new features over the next few weeks, including user project blogs and indexed tutorials and articles. Please bear with us as we gradually add and enable these new features.

The most obvious immediate benefit should be an updated user interface, with a more powerful editor and much better compatibility with modern browsers.

The 'look and styling' has also changed, we realise no colour scheme is ever going to please everyone but we will try hard to improve and 'tweak' it over the next few weeks.

Thanks for supporting the PICAXE forum / community.

westaust55

Congratulations.
A seemingly seamless transfer for us forum users.
The colour scheme is certainly an improvement and although not yet put to the test, there search options appear to provide better search control.

I note that board and kit datasheets are now found via the Manuals link.

Although not specifically a forum presentation issue, would it be possible to updata the webpage for manuals and datasheets to include datasheets for all chips.
For example the FRM010, the FRM015 etc.

Last edited:

BillyGreen1973

still can't see new forum from windows IE8, tried clearing cache (F5) etc, but no go.
Having to use mobile phone to see the new layout, and it's looking good.

papaof2

I'm reading and replying via IE8 (version 8.0.6001.18072) on XP Pro with the latest XP service pack and all the Microsoft updates.

John

premelec

So far so good... the "Quick Navigation" doesn't go to where the box says but requires further selection and some icons don't show well and are too small for netbook... - keep up the good work!

MartinM57

Forum front pages don't seem to render properly on a Blackberry browser for threads with multiple pages - the page "squares" are vertical rather than horizontal and the "Started by..." text overlays the thread title making both impossible to read.

geoff07

Very nice. Potentially much more useful. The key thing to me is making all the expertise that lurks in the history more accessible. Not totally sure about the bright red bars though it is a nice logo!

There seems to be a gremlin on the search page (see text below 'Forum')forumsearch.jpg And if there are any more search options to turn on that would be good as 'advanced' isn't very and doesn't seem to have changed much - there always used to be far too many results to review.

BillyGreen1973

still can't see new forum from windows IE8, tried clearing cache (F5) etc, but no go.
Having to use mobile phone to see the new layout, and it's looking good.
I finally sorted it out.
I needed to clear the DNS resolver Cache. This can be done by going into..

start/run, type cmd, then at the prompt type ipconfig/flushdns and press enter.

Just thought it may be useful for others that have the problem.

papaof2

Anyone else experiencing the View First Unread link taking you to the top of the page containing that message instead of to the message itself?

IE8, XP Pro with latest service pack, all the Microsoft updates.

John

papaof2

View First Unread is in the fine print in the line above the first message on a page:
View First Unread - Thread Tools - Search Thread - Rate This Thread - Display

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'm seeing double-right arrows( go to last ) next to the name of the post ( go to first unread ) and have previously marked all forums as read, so clicking I've done on either takes me to the last post using Firefox and Chrome.

The URL / address after clicking the link has "#post175554" or similar at the end which is an instruction for the browser to go to that anchor after loading the page and, as there's an <a name="post175554"> in the page, it looks like it's IE not doing what would be expected.

nick12ab

Looking at the large icons indicating whether a post is unread, hot etc, the unread ones are indicated by an open envelope and the read ones are indicated with a closed envelope. Don't envelopes come through the letterbox closed and the envelopes are opened to read it?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
View First Unread is in the fine print in the line above the first message on a page:
View First Unread - Thread Tools - Search Thread - Rate This Thread - Display
Thanks. I don't see "View First Unread" in Firefox or Chrome but that may be because there aren't any unread posts for me.

Edit : It was the above. Using Chrome, in a thread where I found one the link did appear, and took me to that post.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Looking at the large icons indicating whether a post is unread, hot etc, the unread ones are indicated by an open envelope and the read ones are indicated with a closed envelope. Don't envelopes come through the letterbox closed and the envelopes are opened to read it?
The legend for the icons is at the bottom of that page. These are standard icon shapes used by lots of forums - the logic is 'open letters need reading', which also makes sense.

Jamster

Is there a way to turn the HTML code on? I guess it doesn't matter as much now since most of the archives have gone. But it would still be usefull.

Jamster

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Is there a way to turn the HTML code on? I guess it doesn't matter as much now since most of the archives have gone. But it would still be usefull.

Jamster
Html is not enabled as a security precaution.
No archive threads have gone at all, they have simply all been merged into a single archive to tidy up the forum list.

nick12ab

Html is not enabled as a security precaution.
If the forum supports custom-named tags to represent BB code tags, you could use <html> tags so that the brackets don't need to be changed and there are no security vulnerabilities.

But the new forum is nice because I no longer have to manually resize the reply box in 'advanced mode' every time I post.

Last edited:

Sean87

nice update ! it looks cool!

I think adding a "THANK" button can be a nice feuture also, would be nice to implement it.

Mikeyp

Congratulations - nicely done, and seems to be a clean transition. Looking forward to more enhancements.

nick12ab

When I mouseover the 'Post Quick reply' button, on the tooltip that appears it says '(Alt+S)' but when I do that it opens my browsing history. I assume Alt+S is meant to be a keyboard shortcut to do the post.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
When I mouseover the 'Post Quick reply' button, on the tooltip that appears it says '(Alt+S)' but when I do that it opens my browsing history. I assume Alt+S is meant to be a keyboard shortcut to do the post.
Possibly - Which browser are you using ?

nick12ab

Possibly - Which browser are you using ?
This is a test message for testing the shortcut with other browsers - if you see this, the shortcut works with IE9.

The test showed that it works with Internet Explorer but not Firefox.

cravenhaven

When I type or copy/paste a leading tab or leading spaces they get removed after the entry is submitted, hence changing the layout of the text.
Is this intentional?
eg:
4 leading spaces
leading tab
Thanks
Allan

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
That's the same behaviour as the previous forum; you need to use [code]..[/code] tags to keep leading spaces and tabs.