Welcome to the updated forum

nick12ab

The favicon online is correct (www.picaxeforum.co.uk/favicon.ico) but different browsers do locally cache and use them in different ways, so you probably have an old locally cached file. Often adding a new bookmark will 'refresh' the list.
New bookmark and restarting the browser hasn't put the new ones there yet. On the first appearance of the new favicon, the changeover was quite prompt. How long before I pointed it out had the old favicon been restored?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The PICAXE favicon has been there since a couple of days after the forum changed across.

If using Firefox as previously mentioned physically type this in the URL bar:

www.picaxeforum.co.uk/favicon.ico

Cancel out of any 'save' msg that may appear. Click refresh button at end of URL bar -this prompts FF a new icon is there.
Worked for us on FF6.0

nick12ab

Cancel out of any 'save' msg that may appear. Click refresh button at end of URL bar -this prompts FF a new icon is there.
Worked for us on FF6.0
The refresh option is disabled.Do you know where the icons are locally cached since I might be able to change it manually.

techElder

I've been gone a week or so. When I go to the link " http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/search.php?do=getnew ", it shows me some posts that I have not read.

However, I know there has been MANY posts since I was last on. I've noticed this behavior since the new forum was put in place.

Is there a problem with keeping track of logon's? I never logoff if that is pertinent..

Last edited:

Dippy

Just a little comment on the Forum display.
I assume this depends on PC setups and maybe browser?

After I logged in (after a break) I happend to glance and squint at the "Notifications".
Through the dark grey box I saw "Notifications 2" in black text.
Not easy to read.

Could this be changed to a mid-red box please - or, if you are determined to keep grey, could you lighten it up?
Black text on a dark grey background is hard to read and , for a ninny like me, goes un-noticed.

A rough example:

Attachments

Jamster

Is it just my computer/browser (IE7) that is putting 3 returns after every post? It seems to be happening to other people (Technical, Westaust, nbw, etc) and it seems that you can't edit them out.

Any ideas why?
EDIT: proof is in the post

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It is to separate your 'memory loss' footer from your text. If you don't have a footer enabled it won't happen!

boriz

On this page: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/data.asp?mode=all . What is the difference between AXE001, AXE002 and AXE003?

If I refer to the latest manual1, which AXE*** number should I use?

Also...

The main three manuals used to be easily accessed from the forum toolbar. Now they are hidden in a list of other documents. Please can we have the latest 'main three' Picaxe manuals on the toolbar?

boriz

I just tried to post into a thread and when I refresh the page, my post is not there. So I refresh again and again. No post. So I post the same thing again. Do I stay on the page or leave it? I try leaving it. Still no post. So I post again. And refresh. And post again. And refresh.

How do I post and rely on it being posted?

westaust55

The topic relating to seeking a separate dropdown menu just for the three primary manuals has been raised in posts 69 and 87 of this thread already.

AXE001, AXE002 and AXE003 are seemingly just numbers used repeatedly for various documentation. See both the top and bottom of the list
I have long ago mentioned that the list as now linked for manuals and datsheets needs some remedial work. The lines as below are far from clear if one tries to use the AXE codes at the left for any form of reference.
Code:
	AXE001	PICAXE Manual	                  picaxe_manual1.pdf

AXE002	PICAXE Manual	                  picaxe_manual1.pdf

AXE003	PICAXE Manual	                  picaxe_manual1.pdf

AXE003	BASIC Commands Summary	    picaxe_manual2.pdf

AXE003	Electronic Interfacing Circuits   picaxe_manual3.pdf
AXE001 was was a number assigned to the 28X1 Starter Pack based upon the AXE020 board.

In a past life,
AXE001 was the original PICAXE 28 Starter Pack and the AXE002 was the original PICAXE 18 starter pack and AXE003 was seemingly the original PICAXE 08 Starter Pack:
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/stamp_flier.pdf
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_flier.pdf
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_rapid.pdf

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The datasheet list is a temporary list whilst we work on a much better improvement (which will have manuals at the top). It will be ready soon.
Boriz - sounds like a browser issue, which browser are you using?

nick12ab

Just a point-out in case it has gone unnoticed - the PICAXE Forum icon has been re-re-replaced with the vBulletin one.

Haku

I'm finding this new updated forum software to be a bit of a pain, I've seen lots of Database Error's and recently more of the "Leave Page / Stay On Page" popup request after clicking "Post Quick Reply", I press "Leave Page" and it gives me a warning about waiting 30 seconds before posting again because it thinks I tried to post twice.

Vbulletin have broken their software, and they don't believe the "Leave Page / Stay On Page" thing with duplicate posts is a bug :(

I've taken to typing my posts out in Notepad first, then copy'n'pasting it into this forum otherwise I'm likely to lose what I wrote because of the Database Error problem and vbulletin problems/issues.

Last edited:

nick12ab

Here I go off again...

On the main forum page, there are buttons for each forum group which expands/collapses them. Except, the tooltip always reads 'Collapse this Category' even when the category is collapsed and it should then read 'Expand this Category'.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You actually need to apply to vBulletin as it would be them who do anything to do with the forum!

tracecom

So far so good... the "Quick Navigation" doesn't go to where the box says but requires further selection and some icons don't show well and are too small for netbook... - keep up the good work!
This feature still doesn't work as (I) expected. Isn't the purpose of the Quick Navigation box to take the user to the top listed destination with only one click (as opposed to selecting a destination from the pull down menu)?

nick12ab

So far so good... the "Quick Navigation" doesn't go to where the box says but requires further selection and some icons don't show well and are too small for netbook... - keep up the good work!
To build upon this comment, a typical screen resolution for a netbook is 1024x600 and when re-sizing the browser to this size, that huge notification for the mobile app overlaps the 'welcome' text and it would also seem that the forum is designed for a minimum horizontal resolution of 1024 but the size of the scroll bars are not taken into account so a horizontal scroll bar always appears at the bottom.

I know it's been suggested that any problems need to be taken up with vBulletin themselves but the minimum width thing, couldn't that just be fixed with a find-and-replace for 1024 in the forum code?

MartinM57

Yes. I agree. It's quite atrocious that this can be allowed to happen. It's really spoilt my day. Just look at this...quite unbelievable...
Photo 13-11-2011 13 28 15.jpg
(more interestingly, it would be good if I could post a picture from my Ipad's Camera Roll when in "Go Advanced" reply mode :))

nick12ab

Yes. I agree. It's quite atrocious that this can be allowed to happen. It's really spoilt my day. Just look at this...quite unbelievable...
I sense sarcasm!

But never mind! I just got Adblock Plus to block the image and now it's no more! The scroll bar issue is still there.

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
View attachment 9591
(more interestingly, it would be good if I could post a picture from my Ipad's Camera Roll when in "Go Advanced" reply mode :))
Martin - if you use the iPhone/iPad PICAXE Forum 'app' instead of a browser, you can do exactly that.

MartinM57

Oh yes - so I can

<picture added successfully and then deleted>

(would be even better as a full screen iPad app though - but I'm sounding like someone else now...)

Last edited:

MartinM57

As good as it was (taken at the Sweet Lamb special stage of the WRC Wales Rally GB on Saturday), it wasn't relevant to the forum...it was just a random picture from my iPad.

nick12ab

Forum Glitch

This time it's about this thread: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?19926-MIDI-wireless-touch-pad-guitar-PICAXE!

The replies counter on the main PICAXE Forum thread list thing says that there are 7 replies, but there are actually only 7 posts and the replies figure for all the other threads is one less than the number of posts in the thread like it should be but for that thread it isn't. As a result, because I could not read post number 8, the thread would remain marked as unread after I read it until I double-clicked the icon on the forums list. The time and author of the last post (Hippy at 20:16) was the same on both the thread list/'Active Forum' and in the thread itself.

So what caused this and is the same happening for anyone else? I've also tried Ctrl+F5.

nick12ab

I created a test post in the MIDI thread, the reply count went up to 8, then I deleted it and the reply count went down to 6. All better now!

alband

Was wondering what happened there! I got an email noting of a reply and went online to find the reply count had gone DOWN!
Thanks though :)