Question regards PWM

xtech007

Hi All !
I have a steering wheel with force feedback I bought for some testing.
it has a medium size motor and a pot at the center.
Yes!!, I have tap into the pot.. Attached it to the 18X1 and was able to get some LED to light up at a defined reading from the pot as I turn the wheel to either direction.

I also noticed that the motor has only 2 leads, red and black and they go back to the controller. I got some readings from these 2 leads, when the wheel is turned all the way to the right its 37.6 Volts and to the Left -12.3 Volts.

is this PWM ????
Can I connect it straight to my MD03 H-bridge?

Thanks for your help !!

jglenn

What is "the controller"? What voltage are you running this thing at? The motor leads will not provide feedback, PWM is pulse width modulation, which is chopping of the applied voltage for variable control. The feedback pot is a separate thing. You need to specify more clearly the hookup.

xtech007

I apologize.. I was not Clear on what I want to do with the data.

I'm sorry the whole purpose of me kinda hacking this steering wheel controller is to get some way to communicate with 2 24volt DC Motor to move a structure to simulate turns and shifting.. But lets concentrate on the turns first.
I want to get data and pass it on to the motors..I have a H-bridge MD03 with 20 Amps. So I tough Maybe I can get the data from the pot and connected to a 18X1 picaxe chip and Use I2C to communicate to the H-bridge then to the Motors.
I have a post on that all ready..
But since I saw the Motor leads I was wondering if I could use this Instead.
Since the controller is doing all that already.
here is the controller: logitech driving force EX
http://home.comcast.net/~mshaker/marks_arcade_006.htm

Any help will be appreciated..

jglenn

Can you expand on this:

But since I saw the Motor leads I was wondering if I could use this Instead.
Since the controller is doing all that already.

What is this steering wheel control? Is there a diagram or picture? You have two 24V motors, do you want to do tank style speed control of them?

H bridges need digital outputs to control them, not I2C, that is a serial link.
:confused:

xtech007

Thanks for the fast response!

jglenn Thank you for your Interest and help..
You are right .. I want to move the motor in a turn like the tank controller you are writing about. But with the exemption that I don't just wanna use Steering controller as controller for just the motor but also for the game both at the same time. This is the website I got the Idea of using the steering wheel controller. and this is s perfect example of what I'm trying to accomplish.
http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/ForceFeedback/Page5.aspx
Once again Thank you for the Help..