PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

Hi westaust55
First, thanks for all the effort you have put into this, it is a very useful tool.

One minor problem I'm having is selecting the shortest link (black). When I select it I get the header instead. I'm using version 1.2

skyv
Thanks for the feedback.
I seemingly might have the menu icons a bit too close together.
Will look into that problem.

westaust55

PEBBLE - V1.2 fix

Okay here is a fix for V1.2 to correct the case of the terminal block being picked up when trying to select the black wire from the menu. Just change the extension of this file from .dsn to .html.
This file has V1.2a so just remove the original V1.2 html file. All it does is correct the selection area for the terminals which was bigger than the image.

For the next release, I might do some rework on the terminal strip images as I have found I do not need a transparent area above them to be able to place the associated text above the image – but it does require more coding in the javascript files.

Attachments

manuka

PEBBLE "lite" trial hosting site

As a hosting trial, & recognizing that not every one has incentive for a full download & local offline hosting, I've uploaded a "lite" PEBBLE Ver 1 to => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/pebble

Just the popular 23 row BB is offered, & selecting a spun 08M will show inverted maker ID- just like the real thing. 5 hole clusters are shown grouped for clarity, as also are the 3 traditional connection points used when 08M programming. Given the W I D E aspect ratio of many modern PC screens, that RHS parking area may well be more useful than below too. In deference to Dr_A (who discovered the Virtual Bread Board originally) it's now a "ye olde faithful faded cream/ Aussie outback" hue too.WestAust55 & I have been email discussing subtle clarity aspects for PEBBLE schools users by the way- the upload here gives them a bit of an airing.

Give it a whirl, and let the forum/Westy/myself know how the online approach strikes you. Stan

Last edited:

SilentScreamer

The DIL socket's rotation images don't work. I had the same problem when I uploaded to somewhere but I guessed it was a problem with my host and removed it again.

manuka

OK. I noted this too- just a small red dot shows. The selected image shows correctly on the BB however (under FF 3.0.11), so I suspect it's a missing image reference.

Last edited:

SilentScreamer

More testing done:

The image does not appear in Google chrome, Safari, IE7, IE8 or Firefox 3.0.11.

The entire right click menu doesn't appear in Opera.

EDIT: Manuka, rename all the images to have lower case file extensions. I can see 6 that don't in your images folder, everyone of which doesn't work.

Last edited:

manuka

Great-thanks & done! It's stressed that this "lite" offering trial is intended to let folks get an on line feel for PEBBLE. For those who've arrived late, I too have drawn upon Ray's original "Virtual Bread Board" work at => http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/ElectronicTools/virtualbreadboard/index.html

WestAust55's most recent full PEBBLE offering (Ver 1.2 - Jun 15th) is attached to posting 97 on P.10 of this thread => http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12629&page=10 This suits offline use after download- just run it via your normal web browser. Stan

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE hosted

Stan,

could not access your site just now but if it is the DIP icon on the menu at the left that is showing as just a red dot then you may not have the image "dip8_1.gif" in the images directory.

SilentScreamer

Good to see its all been fixed :D

Stan,

could not access your site just now but if it is the DIP icon on the menu at the left that is showing as just a red dot then you may not have the image "dip8_1.gif" in the images directory.
They were all there (checked and fortunately didn't get a 403 forbidden error :)), it was the case of the extensions that caused the problem.

HAZELEB

PEBBLE-V1a.html

Hi, Westaust55 thank you for the great work you are putting in to this project, I notice that when moving the picaxe to a different location the picaxe type dose not move with it that’s with this last update pebble-v1a it was ok before that, thanks again.

Ted.

Edit …closed the program and reopened and it works ok now sorry

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE V2 is approaching

Over my lunchbreak today found the elusive typo in a javascript file that was preventing re-loaded images in the “miscell” covering batteries, motors, LCD module etc from being placed in their original positions.

So now just a few more days creating more breadboard layouts for 44 and 50 row boards and I will upload a revision 2.0

As sought by Stan/manuka, I have incorporated a second version of the PICAXE 08M as a “Schools 08M” variant with black body and simpler pin identification, while retaining the previous dark grey chip version with “IOx” pin markings. Additionally included an outline around the groups of 5 holes on the kiwi-patch board version of the breadboard.

The kiwi-patch board also incorporates some additional components such as voltage regulator and terminals so will likely create a better version still in the next couple of days.

Attachments

GreenLeader

Hi Westy,
I really like this tool, I'm itching to use it but I'm
waiting for the latest version with more breadboard choices. Got a circuit that's rearing to go...

Could PEBBLE be developed to include Vero boards?

moxhamj

Hmm - Pebble is very close to a vero board if you got a drill and drilled a gap all the way down the middle.

Like GreenLeader, I'm looking forward to all the new goodies on the latest version.

Not so sure about the "aged yellow" look - that was a bit of a joke earlier. I like shiny white. It is the colour I'd like to think my breadboards are - or at least the colour I see them as even when the evidence before me says otherwise!

manuka

Tarah- WestAust55's blistering development talents have just PEBBLEd a full Kiwi Patch Board. These nifty boards are now being handled by MicroZed (the Aus. PICAXE agents), & assorted semi prof. projects may soon evolve based upon them. You naturally don't have to use the provided regulator or download socket- just trim the board to suit if required!

Attachments

Andrew Cowan

Very nice!

The only problem I can see is that I can't see the white wire of the servo when it is ontop of the white breadboard. Maybe use hitec colouring? (Y,R,B). Similar problem with the parallel LCD display.

A

Last edited:

pilko

Is it possible to have One-hole-spaced resistors and diodes? May have to be vertical as shown on my Eagle/Pilko board sometimes space is at a premium.

Attachments

Last edited:

AlainB

Hi,

One thing I would like to be available is a trimpot or differents kind of trimpots.

Is it possible to draw wanted element and include them in our copy? Like the one in the picture. Would it be possible for me to include it and use it in my designs?

Keep the good work! It is very nice!

Thanks!

Alain

Attachments

Last edited:

SilentScreamer

If there is a component you don't use then just replace the image, making sure the connections are in the same place and it is the same size.

If you want to define a new component then you will probably need to modify the actual JavaScript/CSS.

Have a play inside, you can always re-download it if it breaks.

Andrew Cowan

Or if you want to add something really weirdly shaped (high-current-toroidal-axial-thingimy), you can just add it using a graphics program like paint.

A

AlainB

Hi,

I went to an online GIF editor to make the background of my drawing transparent and changed the file PICAXE08_1.gif for this file.

It is working nicely as a patch while waiting for more nice parts from the author.

But if is was possible to make custom parts design easily, without having to disturb what is already very well done, it would be better.

Thanks!

Alain

Attachments

Last edited:

tarzan

Very nice Westaust55

Could you please make images of the following?

CR2032 3V Button Cell in its holder for on board placement to go with DS1307
(I solder a length of three header pins to each connector of the cell holder to firmly place in breadboard. Only the center ones make the connections.)

3x4/4x4 Keypads for off board placement

16pin input LCD with backlight

Thank you for all the effort you’ve put in.

manuka

PEBBLE guru WestAust55 reports exceedingly slow access & image downloads of his darling from my trial NZ hosting site => www.picaxe.ocon.net.nz/pebble2 His woes could be ISP related, as frequent "lockouts" to even this PICAXE Forum have taunted him recently- a reason for my relaying.

How has PEBBLE2 access been for others ? Here in NZ on "whatever" broadband/WiFi it's (predictably) near instantaneous. Stan.

Last edited:

HAZELEB

PEBBLE guru WestAust55 reports exceedingly slow access & image downloads of his darling from my trial NZ hosting site => www.picaxe.ocon.net.nz/pebble2 His woes could be ISP related, as frequent "lockouts" to even this PICAXE Forum have taunted him recently- a reason for my relaying.

How has PEBBLE2 access been for others ? Here in NZ on "whatever" broadband/WiFi it's (predictably) near instantaneous. Stan.
Here in uk extremely slow

Ted.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@ Manuka ...

The link previously worked for me ( haven't tested since ) but I too noted long(ish) load times. I assumed it was ISP bandwidth limitations, a narrow broadband pipe somewhere en route.

@ AlainB ...

Making PEBBLE user extensible means having to currently run a local copy of the JavaScript application which has to be edited. With a single "database.js" which defines all GIF components, orientation etc which the rest of PEBBLE uses will minimise the number of edits needed to hopefully just adding a new line.

There are means for JavaScript to load a database from local disk but that used to involve ActiveX etc so generally limited to IE and Windows but might have changed, or the database can be loaded from the server. Both mean making PEBBLE able to use a database and providing a means to upload new GIF and device definitions if server-based.

There are four main ways to provide application functionality; a native executable, server side executables accessed through a browser, via a plug-in hosted in a browser ( Java, Flash ) and via scripting within the browser ( JavaScript ). Each has its own advantages and limitations.

manuka

WA55's intention eventually of course is for PEBBLE to be just downloaded & used locally.

We've hosted it however both for folks to give it an "drag & drop" online whirl,l & also report bugs/ add to their feature wish list. The online JS issues shouldn't be a problem with local offline browser access.

moxhamj

It takes about a minute from here in Australia. The screen stays blank for the first 20 seconds, and I'd have given up except that my download activity meter was showing lots of activity. After 20 secs the board comes up and then the components start appearing.

Much more convenient than running it locally as it is a "one click" operation. But a little slow as others have also reported. Maybe some sort of message that comes up right at the beginning just to say "please wait"? Or maybe start by loading a small component gif first rather than the board, so the user can see something is happening?

Boy is it fun to play with though! I am amazed and very impressed with this tool.

slurp

I've got some commercial space for my minisumo domain, I'd be happy to upload there if you'd like to try some alternative hosting.

I'm not using 1/10 of bandwidth or space so it shouldn't be a problem. The host generally claims top 5 for speed in the UK.

regards,
colin

BCJKiwi

Tried the online version this morning and received virtually instant full loading and the same sort of response when making changes as I get with the locally installed V1.2

However Orcon is our ISP and am running ADSL2+ (20Mbps down x 1Mbs up) from Auckland.

manuka

Dr_A: Very good idea- a quick "loading" message & graphic now added (both subsequently become buried under BBs).
See => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/pebble2

Slurp: Great - can we look at this when the numerous tweaks are attended to?

Dippy: You Brits will live on the other side of the world ! Stan

westaust55

PEBBLE V2 released and new wish list building

I can only seemingly only access the PICAXE forum through work (again) at the moment.
As I see it, the current wish list is for:
1. 1 hole resistors,
2. 1 hole diodes
3. Trim pot. Horizontal/flat example given but could also do a vertical multi-turn version
4. CR2032 3V battery in holder
5. keypads in 3x4 and 4x4 format
6. LCD – 16 pin – note that there is already a 14 pin version –just no backlight
7. White wire against white board issue – I will make the wire colour a light cream rather than have an “aged” breadboard look for contrast.
8 White LED's

Last edited:

SilentScreamer

I can get the domain www.picaxe-pebble.co.cc (the link doesn't work) perhaps then have a list of available servers and there locations, I too could host and my server is in the US. Let me know if your interested.

EDIT: I would like fewer wires on the side to clear some space, though its not a big thing. Thanks for all the work you've put in.

Last edited: