Maxim 6675 UK source

Icarus60

I am trying to obtain a Max6675 for processing a K type thermocouple. Can anybody advise me if they can be obtained in UK and from where?
Any help appreciated
Thanks and regards

Dippy

You're absolutely right Andrew, they are both black and shiny ;)

Perhaps the Data Sheets may indicate different resolutions and ranges..... oh yes.

westaust55

MAX6675 alternate OS sources

If you are willing to look further afield, Futurlec US and Aust have them:

MAX6675ISA MAX6675 - Thermocouple-to-Digital Converter US$7.20

MAX6675ISA MAX6675 - Thermocouple-to-Digital Converter AU$ 9.32

My experiences with Futurlec have been good. Parts whether thru US or Aust ordering come out of a warehouse in Thailand. All components bought worked, and at AU$4 for post and package hard to beat.

SD2100

Get onto the Maxim web site and order sum free samples, they'll send you 2 MAX6675's, They sent me 2 freebies a few months ago.:)

Dippy

Icarus,
this is merely a suggestion.
If space permits then consider a SOIC to DIP adaptor.

Then you can breadboard it. Also as it is a pukka PCB there is solder-resist in between the legs. This makes a successful solder more likely.

I don't want to prompt 3000 replies saying "I can solder SOICs 'cos I'm so clever" as that is very boring, but for prototyping/practicing/breadboarding those little adaptors can be handy.

Also, if you solder the SOIC onto a home-brew PCB and you've messed up the board then getting it off again without overheating can be a chore.
If it's on a separate plug-in then it can help.
Co-incidentally, exactly that scenario happened to me last week. And it did help :)

They are available very cheaply (Futurlec??) or very dearly (RS and farnell). All I will say about one of the versions available from RS is that the pins are very thin and will plop into DIP sockets without damage.

Icarus60

Max6675

Thanks for all your replies and help. Much appreciated.
I now have two Max6675 in my hand, courtesy of Maxim samples service and will be following your advice and leads to ensure that I do not cook them.

Thanks again.