Build your own SOIC8 to DIP8 ADapter

westaust55

But some of us like to do our own thing.

Regards Futurelec, Yes, BCJKiwi has previously mentioned that website.
Rather large and just the bare board.

I have also today found I can buy them in bulk in Sydney for about AUD$0.50 each plus postage. Payment by Paypal only it seems.
Have sent a query to the guy and may buy some this evening.
Appear to be smaller than the Furturelec version and again just the bare board without pins etc.

How much interest would there be from others if I buy in bulk and sell pretty much at cost + postage? Could even look towards buying some pins in bulk and sell with the pins for others to assemble as a kit.

Postage may become a big component of total cost for one-offs though . . . .

Last edited:

stocky

But some of us like to do our own thing.
Rather large and just the bare board.
Board is only a touch bigger than a DIP8 and some of us cant justify the time to make and possible damage to chips vs the cost of those adaptors :) - each to their own I guess :)

premelec

Thanks for the post - it's interesting to see what some folks have worked out even if I don't use that particular route [I usually use a Dremel cutter or etch or use a commercial adaptor...]

westaust55

Dimensions: 13mm Length, 20mm Wide, 1.2mm Thickness

A standard 8pin DIP chip is only 7.6mm wide and 9.1 mm long so at 20mm we are approaching 3 times the width with the furturelec board.

This commercial fully assembled adapter is more compact (almost the size of a DIP8 socket) but very expensive as discussed in a previous thread.
http://www.adapt-plus.com/products_h...D3SM18-08.html

Attatched is a the board only version I mentioned that I am contacting a man in Sydney about . . . compact, commerical, plated through holes etc.

Attachments

stocky

sorry - my bad!

I'm thinking of the SOIC8's i bought from SURE :-(

AAMOI - DIP8 socket which is about as small as an adaptor COULD be is 10-11mm wide...

Stocky

Still - my time is worth more than the $0.50 so i have ordered a heap :)

Last edited:

manuka

Hankering after SOIC (Small Outline IC) SMD profiles, but on tight budgets & with pressing time constraints? Consider the $0 "squashed DIP" instant approach below.

Footnote: As an electronics newbie (~45 years back) I'd an ENORMOUS respect for components & their mounting, but with experience one comes to realize many can be "persuaded".

Attachments

BCJKiwi

Hi, Posted this on the other thread where we were discussing 400kHz RTCs.

This should work for the DS1337C and the DS1338C

Made an error over there (missed 2 pins) however since there are a limited number of pins used (6) of the 16, I still figure these six pins could be soldered down to six of the 8 pins on a standard machined dip socket.

This obviously would not work if more pins required.

"For those of you assisting in my quest for DS1337s and 6pF crystals;

Have established that Futurlec are currently stocking the DS1337C# RTC clock chip which is only available in SMD and incorporates the crystal.

Have also established that the overall length of one of these 16 pin SOICs pretty much matches the length of an 8pin DIP socket.
The overall width also pretty much matches the width of an 8pin DIP socket.
As the crystal is built in the grounding etc issues associated with the external crystal are eliminated.

There are also only 6 pins to deal with all at one end, 3 per side.
So the plan is to solder these pins directly to the tops of the pins on an 8 pin machined DIP socket. The space between the dip socket tops is around 0.95mm and the space between the legs on the DS1337C# is 1mm so with correct positioning this will work. Pins 1 and 3 soldered directly, pin 2 looped around to leg 3 on the socket. All other pins are NC

Will also solder down a couple of the NC pins at the other end of the 16 pin SOIC for support.

This makes a DS1337C# RTC 16 leg SOIC into an 8 pin DIP RTC.

Will provide a photo in a week or so once parts received and are soldered up.

Thanks again for your assistance and apologies for hijacking this thread which was not intended.

Cost is AU$1.56 per DS1337C# plus AU$4.00 for shipping, delivery a week or so - ordered 2 plus some 8 pin machined sockets.

westaust55

i2cfast (400kHz) replacement for DS1307

I arrived home this evening to find a couple of Maxim DS1338Z-33+ real time clock chips I had requested awaiting me on the doorstep.

These are technically identical to the DS1307 (i2cslow = 100kHz speed) with the same 56bytes of non-volatile RAM and still having the battery back-up feature, but with a few changes:
1. they will operate at 400kHZ ( i2cfast) as well as i2cslow (100kHz)
2. they are only available in the SOIC surface mount format (not DIP)
3. capable of lower operating voltage with range of 3.0V to 5.5V (as opposed to 4.5V to 5.5 for DS1307)

I went with the "Z" variant which does not have an internal crystal (neither does the DS1307) as:
1. both my AXE033 LCD/RTC module and a separate RTC module I built have the crystal as a separate component, and
2. the variants with the inbuilt crystal have 16 pins.

So after soldering the DS1338 to the adapter board and plugging it into the RTC module DIP8 socket, I can confirm success and the new RTC chip is functioning.

Attached is a collage with a few photos taken during the construction of the DS1307 plug-in replacement.

Attachments

Last edited:

stocky

I too await some sample SOIC chips as TSSOPs to try my hot-air rework soldering skills upon :)

Will post some photos if i remember to take them! :p

westaust55

Hi Stocky,

Which particular chips are you seeking?

A variation on the RTC's discussed todate (ie DS1337 and DS1338) or something completely different?