433mhz transparent wireless data module

Hooter

I contacted Futurlec Australia about a month ago after seeing these modules on the Futurlec US site to see why they eren't on the Aus site. They were going to include them the following week. It didn't happen and that was when I aquired mine directly from Hope-Rf. The good news was they were half the price.
Hooter

moxhamj

*Cough* Stan, seems like I go to bed fine and wake up to fine I'm the local distributer for RF modules!? Maybe that is getting ahead of things a bit - I haven't tried these modules yet. I was actually going to wait till the article came out in SC then maybe with lots of people buying them a distributer would select themselves. Mind you, rule of thumb with distribution is to double the price. Getting things working better from the manufacturers end would be better. And this comment applies to the UK manufacturers as well as to Hope - it really helps to have a price on the website, and it helps even more to have shipping costs to various countries as well. And the Holy Grail of online sales is to have a one stop system ideally using something like paypal. I guess I like "commando style shopping" - get in, achieve the objective and get out. Much quicker than emails "hello, how much for x?" "x costs you $ with $ shipping", "oh, ok, and how much if I buy 3" "3 will cost you $, with shipping = to $" "hmm, shipping is less if I buy more, how much for 6?" etc etc

Manuka, do you think they would be receptive to setting up online sales on their website?

ayesha

Need help for RFM12BP

HI all,
I wana use RFM12BP module for a WSN. can any one help me abuot hoe to take the start. i have tried a lot but.If any one has worked on it can u plz help with the software and hardware settins. I wana config it with Atmega32. U have tried the sample code alvaliable but no use:(. How will i know the reciver is reciving thi data. n also help me out with the anteena as well. Thanks. waiting for guidance.

manuka

Ahem-this is a PICAXE forum! At this stage I'm focusing on bulk buys of the HM-TR transceiver, & with cashed up requests for ~14, intend shooting orders Monday. Stan

tarzan

Hi Stan

Put me down for 4 of the HM-TR HopeRF (RS232) 433 MHz units with the “supplied rubber duckie antenna”.

manuka

OK on orders - which assume "your word is your bond". Hope quote US$230 all up (incl. p&p) for 20 of HM-TR RS-232 c/w "rubber duckie" antenna delivered here to me in NZ from China. Repacking & posting within NZ will perhaps be ~US$1-2, & Oz. more like US$3-4. At present weak US$ exchange rates assume ~Aust/NZ$15 each unit for Kiwi/Oz- I'm not considering other countries.

I'm sending a few to Oz. PICAXE agents MicroZed, as they are interested in stocking these to support a SiChip article, but they'll factor in margins & have prices more like Aust$25-$30 each. (Still good value IMHO).

NB. For others pondering a bulk order. Here in NZ anyway it's important not to have an import order exceeding a GST threshold (~US$300), or local taxes (@ 12.5%) will then also kick in. Stan

moxhamj

Thanks to manuka for doing all this. Do you have a paypal account as this could be an easy way to send money to you?

And for my order, can I have the higher power ones (500mw) please.

stocky

NB. For others pondering a bulk order. Here in NZ anyway it's important not to have an import order exceeding a GST threshold (~US$300), or local taxes (@ 12.5%) will then also kick in. Stan
Ask Hope to mark the order "SAMPLES" with an attached invoice value of $1 :D

Little trick i learned..........

manuka

UPDATE: I've been snowed under with day job stuff & combined with further testing of my samples by Dr_A, this bulk order has been on hold.

My spies inform Oz. Futurlec is now handling the HM-TR => http://www.futurlec.com.au/Search.jsp at ~Aust$22. All up, & given p&p issues, Oz. buyers may want to just buy straight from a local outlet. Stan

moxhamj

Tonight I will do some more tests. I have a working system using seperate Tx and Rx modules so this should be a matter of swapping modules over. It didn't work first time (well actually it did work but only one successful transmission out of 20, which is probably worse in a way). Was using 2400 baud. I'll try backing off to slower rates and do more tests. Need to scope the output etc. Also, any handy hints from those that have got the modules to work?

stocky

make sure their is a gap of at least 50ms - preferably 100 - between and TX-RX of RX-TX operation

Somewhere in the specs it talks about that

moxhamj

Ok I found the problem, fixed it and got them working. Now I like these modules!

The fault was this. When I programmed the first module, I put it in a socket, programmed it and took it out. Then I realised I needed to program the second module. So I wanted to ensure the settings were the same. So I put the first module back in and hit "Read", assuming this would read back the data. Then I programmed the second module with this data.

The problem is that there appears to be a bug when you hit "Read" it reads back incorrect data, specifically it reads back the frequency as 315Mhz, no matter what is actually in the module. But, the *second* time you hit "Read", it reads back the correct data.

So to see what the module is programmed with, hit "Read" twice.

Of course, what had happened is that I had programmed the first module at 434Mhz, and the second module was programmed with the erroneous data from the first readback at 315Mhz. The capacitor values for the antenna also read back incorrectly on the first read.

Range is good. Modules work right next to each other and I got 250 metres which is what the data sheet says. And I was sending a serout with both a qualifier "ABC" and a checksum, so this is a real reliable data range.

At Last!! A module that goes as far as the spec sheet says.

So I'm giving these the picaxe tick of approval :)

Manuka - a suggestion and a question. My modules were the RS232 ones (there is a max232 on board) so could be programmed directly from an RS232 cable, so one could imagine a little programming board with a D9 female socket and a 6 hole socket and an onboard 5V reg. And a question - if you have the TTL module and you program it from an RS232 connection, will the -12V zap the unit?

Last edited:

stocky

I have a board connected to an RS232 converter PCB i bought off Ebay just for that purpose - Programming the TTL ver of the HMTR - I was too slack to build one LOL!

BTW - I *havent* seen that programming bug - works fine with mine. Good point to watch out for though!

manuka

Good work! I wouldn't call this a bug,as it's perhaps more a question of procedure & the Chinese makers English. Although we're all of course confident with PICAXE configuration, the programmable nature of these new HopeRF modules is rather a brain tease compared with cheapie 433 MHz units. I'd similar woes myself initially as you may recall, but with familiarity also found they came up trumps. Let's have some more findings- perhaps with some simple Yagis at each end. Jaycar sell a range of SMA-BNC adapters.

Re RS232 versus TTL versions: Full ±12V may indeed get up to mischief somewhere further down the track... As the RS-232 offering is only ~US$1 more than the bare TTL version,& it's on-board MAX232 fits so neatly, IMHO it's hardly worth making your own!

Last edited:

stocky

I only have ONE board setup to program them - I use the TTL modules to direct interface with MCU chips

Texy

Did anyone from the UK get hold of these modules? I,ve emailled Hope for a quote of a few, still waiting to hear back from them.

Texy