YEY! 18M2 comming soon.

inglewoodpete

I'm not sure how you mean by "without interrupting each other". As far as I am aware It should be possible to use HSERIAL and HI2C together with current PICAXE....
Yes, my project successfully uses HSerial and Hi2c (as an i2c master) on a 28x1/40x1.

Last edited:

hwholmes

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was trying to communicate between 40x2's using i2c and for debugging purposes was using hserial out to report status in the i2c slave. The I2c input messages were often blocked (timed out??) until I stopped the hserial out and then they worked fine.

I ASS-U-MEd that it would also be a problem in the master as well and stopped further development efforts. I would have had no trouble if the master could control communication in both directions.

Can you confirm that the i2c master can be in the middle of an i2c communication and receive an unsolicited hserial input without corrupting either one?

Last edited:

manuka

I've just revamped my infamous "gang of 16" PICAXE table (below) to include the new 18M2, & have attached a updated draft below. This is intended not so much a last word statement but as just a handy brag/comparison table to show PICAXE family features. Heaps of folks think there are only just a couple of variants of course.

Can anyone spot blunders & tweaks that need to be made? In particular I've had to read between the lines & "guess" 18M2 features & Aust$ price. TIA - Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Can you confirm that the i2c master can be in the middle of an i2c communication and receive an unsolicited hserial input without corrupting either one?
Not off-hand though I would have expected it to work, though I could be wrong.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Have a look at the SETFREQ command. The 20X2 can do 64MHz, 32MHz, 16MHz, 8MHz, 4MHz, 1MHz, 500kHz, 250kHz and 32kHz.

inglewoodpete

This really should be in a separate thread, since it has nothing to do with the 18M2.

I'm using a 28x1 F/W A.6 as an i2c master, so no scratchpad used there. The master reads the scratchpad of its slaves (all 28x1 A.6 if it matters). The hSerial uses the scratchpad, since the protocol does not have a native master/slave arrangement: incoming serial can potentially arrive at any time.

Peter

Last edited:

slimplynth

was putting together an IR transmitter (using a 14M) for my bot at the weekend. just using numbers 1 to 7 on the laptop to control direction.. sertxd, inputting in the terminal, the terminal also reporting back with Serrxd the command issued.

Was genuinely stumped for a few minutes when the PE refused to accept my program due to size..thought i'd killed another picaxe but the penny dropped and realised I'd become acustomed to the the extra breathing space the X2 allows for programs :D

lookin foward to the 18M2 any chance of an 08M2 too.. awww pretty please. Bigger program size, Touch function... should be reading up on capacitive sensing...

curry87

How do you guy feel after hearing about the features and low price of the 18m2 after buying a lot of other picaxe chips in the past that are more expensive and have less impressive specs 08m-14m-18m ?

MartinM57

About the same when I buy any electronic device - before long, it will become better and cheaper. That's life...

Andrew Cowan

I feel happy - it shows Microchip are releasing more and more powerful chips - meaning projects can get better and more sophisticated. Can't wait for the 08X2!

A

Chavaquiah

How do you guy feel after hearing about the features and low price of the 18m2 after buying a lot of other picaxe chips in the past that are more expensive and have less impressive specs 08m-14m-18m ?
The last batch of MCUs I bought are more powerful than my first computer and cost 50 times less (200x with inflation). I did never regret getting that ZX Spectrum... ;)

Texy

I feel happy - it shows Microchip are releasing more and more powerful chips - meaning projects can get better and more sophisticated. Can't wait for the 08X2!

A
...yes this is long overdue. Even if it doesn't have many more features, more program memory would revitalise this product, but it is in the hands of Microchip.
Texy

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
For me that falls into the same category as buying a 20MHz 80286 PC with 8MB Ram and a 10MB hard disk for around £1K and now having a 2GHz multi-core with 4GB Ram and 320GB disk on my desk which cost a tenth of that.

It's natural evolution of product that things usually get better and cheaper. You either buy and accept that, or wait until something with the right spec and right price comes along. Perhaps the best way to judge things is; was it a fair price at the time ?

I'm having a clear-out at home and will probably have land-filled tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit in old money which has absolutely zero value today.

slimplynth

As hippy said plus; surely it's simple supply an demand.. at the time (the now lower spec chips) would have been greatly welcomed as a new/exciting products. If these weren't bought with hard cash then money would not have been directed towards making better X2 chips to replace them.

womai

...yes this is long overdue. Even if it doesn't have many more features, more program memory would revitalise this product, but it is in the hands of Microchip.
Texy
Don't bet on it. The PIC12Fxxx line usually does not have self-write capability for the program flash memory, so bootloaders are restricted to write data into the (small) data EEPROM. If you program the PIC12683 directly (compiled Basic or C, burned with a programmer) it can actually already hold pretty sizable programs - which means Microchip doesn't have a large incentive to put out something bigger in that package. It's a pretty easy-to-use chip (few peripherals or advanced options) so a good device to get started with if you want to go beyond Picaxe.

teddy7

Some info about the 18M2

Grapevine says new M2 series of Picaxe in the pipeline. 18M2 coming early 2010.

Hey Technical, what’s the specs for the M2 range? (or is it a secret?)

--------------

Here is some specs on the 18M2 do out in July 2010
It will also replace ALL of the 18xxx chip's
http://elecurls.tripod.com/picaxe-sum.htm
-teddy

westaust55

--------------

Here is some specs on the 18M2 do out in July 2010
It will also replace ALL of the 18xxx chip's
http://elecurls.tripod.com/picaxe-sum.htm
-teddy
@teddy,

Ya gotta keep up man!

Post 5 gave the Rev Ed flyer will lots of information
Post 64 gave the July 2010 date.

The data at the link you gave is missing a lot of data and has some errors.

40X1 is 5V rated not 3V (but can work down to 2V at 4/8MHz).

X1 and X2 parts Absolute Maximum current capabilities are:
Total for chip == 95mA
Total ofr all ports is 90mA
Max for one IO = 25mA

Statement made is:
“* = DO NOT leave Input PINS "floating". Use a 4.7k Resistor to Terminate to Ground, or pull them High with a 4.7k Resistor to VDC+”
It is not mandatory to tie unused inputs to ground or Vcc but there may be circumstances where doing so may help with things such as reduced power consumption, etc.

Statement made is:
“** = If Serin or Serout are NOT being used, Terminate them with a 100k Resistor to Ground”

Yes the SERIN line must be pulled to ground – recommended is 10 kOhm but 100k should do.
Absolutely no need to pull SEROUT line to ground.

But keep up the work and complete/correct your table and it will be useful

Last edited:

teddy7

Keeping up.

@teddy,

Ya gotta keep up man!

Post 5 gave the Rev Ed flyer will lots of information
Post 64 gave the July 2010 date.

The data at the link you gave is missing a lot of data and has some errors.

40X1 is 5V rated not 3V (but can work down to 2V at 4/8MHz).

X1 and X2 parts Absolute Maximum current capabilities are:
Total for chip == 95mA
Total ofr all ports is 90mA
Max for one IO = 25mA

Statement made is:
“* = DO NOT leave Input PINS "floating". Use a 4.7k Resistor to Terminate to Ground, or pull them High with a 4.7k Resistor to VDC+”
It is not mandatory to tie unused inputs to ground or Vcc but there may be circumstances where doing so may help with things such as reduced power consumption, etc.

Statement made is:
“** = If Serin or Serout are NOT being used, Terminate them with a 100k Resistor to Ground”

Yes the SERIN line must be pulled to ground – recommended is 10 kOhm but 100k should do.
Absolutely no need to pull SEROUT line to ground.

But keep up the work and complete/correct your table and it will be useful

Thanks, Westaus! I have updated the chart with the info U gave me.
As far as keeping up, I'm do'in my best. ;)

dellarb

SMT?

Hey all

Just had a question pop into my head and a search for "18m2 surface mount" showed zero results.

As the 18M2 is custom made, does this reduce the chance that a SMT version may be released at some point for those of us cramming things into tiny spaces?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I don't believe there are any obstacles to producing an 18M2 in surface mount but I don't know what future plans are in that respect.

PerthEng

Presuming that Boriz really meant to suggest shortening the pins and not the package, then

SPIC = Shortened Pin Integrated Circuit & "Pin" could always be replaced with "Package"

or maybe if pins are really short then

MPEP = Modified Picaxe Excluding Pins

boriz

No. I mean shorten the package itself. Using a saw or Dremel. The actual integrated circuit die is much smaller than the package. Usually occupying the very centre, most of the package is just lead-out’s to the pins. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:153056995_5ef8b01016_o.jpg

So, in theory, you can modify a standard DIP Picaxe to be much smaller, though it won’t be easy and your soldering skills need to be up to scratch.

Note. I cannot take full credit for this idea. Someone else posted a similar suggestion on this forum some months ago regarding chopping off part of the package carrying unused pins.

tiscando

If you program the PIC12683 directly (compiled Basic or C, burned with a programmer) it can actually already hold pretty sizable programs - which means Microchip doesn't have a large incentive to put out something bigger in that package. It's a pretty easy-to-use chip (few peripherals or advanced options) so a good device to get started with if you want to go beyond Picaxe.
That's what I've already done, replacing bulky non-microcontroller components that would have been there (doing signal processing which a PICAXE is too slow for) with a PIC12F683. The Programming editor's assembler templates make it quite easy to program these with short programs in fast-repetitive short-arithmetic applications like a square wave shifter for example. The PIC12F683 with a CCP makes it the most versatile 8-pin PIC. I run it at 20MHz in my application.

Last edited:

Haku

I've looked at the PDF on the first page of this thread but see no mention of sleep/interrupts, does anyone know if the 18M2 will have the same wake-on-interrupt capability as the X2 chips? That would be one very nice feature to have.

teddy7

18M2

I've looked at the PDF on the first page of this thread but see no mention of sleep/interrupts, does anyone know if the 18M2 will have the same wake-on-interrupt capability as the X2 chips? That would be one very nice feature to have.

My understanding is that it will do any of the functions of any of the 18/18x/18x1/18x2 will do. Plus some new commands will be added. Which means an update to the PICAXE Manuals, and Program Editor.

-teddy7

PS: If I'm wrong, I'm sure Westy or Hippy will be all over me! :confused:

MPep

Presuming that Boriz really meant to suggest shortening the pins and not the package, then

SPIC = Shortened Pin Integrated Circuit & "Pin" could always be replaced with "Package"

or maybe if pins are really short then

MPEP = Modified Picaxe Excluding Pins
You called??
MPep.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
My understanding is that it will do any of the functions of any of the 18/18x/18x1/18x2 will do. Plus some new commands will be added. Which means an update to the PICAXE Manuals, and Program Editor.
The 18M2 supersedes the 18/18A/18M/18X so consolidates their functions, gives a bit more ( notably multi-tasking ), and also brings things into line with the principles of the X2's. It's an evolution of the 18-pin parts rather than a porting of X2 to 18-pin so not all commands and capabilities of the X2 are supported.

Yes, manuals and software will be updated to support the 18M2.