XBEE Wirless Boards

Mr Turner

hi, i am relitivly new to picaxe and have only just found this forum. i have used picaxe for my previouse project, a water irrigation system, i am now using the XBEE wirless boards.

I have soldered all the components on both boards, the problem i am having is the initial setup procedure, i follow the steps in the data sheet and the first time it worked no problem and the ping test also worked to show the two boards were communicating, but every time since i set the XBEE baud rate and click write to configure the settings it says no response, also when i click read version it says no response.

I also tried sending data from one board to another and in the terminal window it was displayed as symbols rather than number.

was wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be the problem.

thanks
sean

Mr Turner

hi, i have just tried this and am still having the same problem, i have got a good power supply to the boards and am sure they are soldered up correctly, any one have any other ideas?

thanks
sean

HAZELEB

Sean as you say the first time you set it up it worked ok if the board rates are set to 2400 on the pc and xbee you only have ether the max232 or the 18x not both in the board and the jumpers are in the correct positions and a good power supply it should work sorry I can`t be of more help.

Mr Turner

hi, i couldnt understand what was wrong till earlier, i have just noticed i have put 6v into the 5v pin on the board, in the data sheet it says that if more than 5v is put into the 5v input pin then the IC's and module will need replacing, i should have put the supply in the 9v pin, i think this is what has happened, also it would explain why it worked at the begining then stopped working. stupid mistake by myself.

Do you think this is the problem?

thanks
sean

Andrew Cowan

What was the supply?

PICAXEs are mostly rated for 5.5V, but people do run them off 6V. However, if it was four brand new AAs, it could have been more like 6.5V - this would damage the PICAXE.

A

HAZELEB

The 18x is probably alright you can check it in another board if you have one and checking the firmware in the PE, or by putting the correct voltage to the xbee board and doing the same if it`s ok go through the setup procedure again good look.