Wireless Project

cvrwy

I thought that I would let the group see how my wireless project is coming along. The daughterboard is done, I think......... The reliable range outdoors is around 80-100 feet. From inside a steel barn to the outdoors range is about 50 feet. The ranges I am getting are plenty good enough for my application.

I'm using a 7.4v 1345mAh 2 cell Lithium Polymer battery as used in model airplanes. The battery socket is in the upper right in the picture.

Of course, everyone should recognize the stereo jack in the upper left.
Below it is the 5v regulator and the primary filter capacitor.
Further to the right is the resonator and the 28X1 PicAxe.
The 28X1 resistors and reset button are above the pic.
Sandwiched between the pic and the Xbee are more capacitors, the 3.3v regulator and the green power led.
Above the Xbee is the ADuM1201 on its adapter, a decoupling capacitor and the yellow "link" led.

I have three 6 pin headers and a 4 pin header (under the Xbee) on the underside to carry 5v power, power switch leads and all the pic I/O pin leads (except the two used with the Xbee) to the motherboard.

The master and slave motherboards will will each use one of these daughterboards.

The neat thing is that I can temporarily jumper the power lead header pins and fire up two modules to check range and program operation without the motherboards. There will be no pics on the motherboards, they are primarily used for data interfacing.

My objective is to make these modules as small as possible (within monetary constraints). That's the reason for 4 separate, scattered headers and using the same daughterboards at each end of the link.

Attachments

Last edited:

manie

John M:
Very impressive and VERY NEAT build there ! Congrats, it really looks good. Exactly the sort of thing I have in mind and which is keeping me occupied at the moment. I have opted out of the Xbee module route and I'm going with 2 Polygon 433mHz RS232 modules. Polygon modified their Dsub-9 connector for me to be able to feed power to the module via the RS232 cable link. They were really excellent to deal with. Once I have the PC board finalised and some hardware mounted I will post some pics. Once again, very neat work there !
Manie