Windows 10

darcydugan

Is there a picaxe programming editor for windows 10.
I have just upgraded from windows 7.
The original picaxe program does run, but I have to start it twice.
thanks
Darcy

Bill.b

Hi Darcy

I have no problems running editor 6.0.8.0 with windows 10.
Also the old editor 5 runs OK

Bill

eggdweather

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, in my Windows -10 system, I start the editor and nothing appears, but then if I double-click the icon again up it comes, it's as if it's running in the background and an attempted re-start then brings it to the foreground.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are not aware of any issues with Windows 10, all our tests worked as expected. However we will look into this report.

oracacle

is there any particular scenario where it happens. windows 10 has some nice features that allow it to kill processing, or suspend them depending on system demands. if for some reason picaxe software flag a need for use else where it may kill the process stopping it from loading, its just a theory as I ma not 100% sure how it all works or if the editor is setup for that part of windows 10

grim_reaper

I've seen a similar issue on a few of my work laptops, but with Office, not the programming editor.

Sometimes Word starts up 'invisible'. If you click on it in the task bar, it will minimise (but you can't see it doing that) and then clicking again restores it to normal - and it gets painted, etc.

I've got Windows 10 on one PC at home at the moment; I've only been using Scratch and S2P on it, but I'll try playing with the editor tonight.

grim_reaper

I did a fresh install from t'interweb and got version 6.0.8.1 - formal support for Windows 10 it says!

If you haven't already upgraded your editor, that'd be my first suggestion.

As for the other issues, no problems at all. I have noticed some 'Administrator' issues in Windows 10 though - are you have full blown admin permissions?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
6.0.8.1 was the first release formally tested on Windows 10, however we didn't actually make any specific changes to work with Windows 10 as it all seemed to work straight away for us.

darcydugan

Thanks for the support. The original concern was the latest editor 6.0.8.1 did not mention windows 10 in the downloads compatibility info, that seems to have changed. I was running version 5.5.0 on windows 7 (It wasn't broke so I didn't fix it) I have now upgraded to 6.0.8.1 on windows 10 and so far all is ok. As for the start up fault, I imagine it is now in a cirrocumulus metadata cloud of start up errors, somewhere in a far away galaxy.
much appreciated.....Darcy

fernando_g

Given Microsoft's track record on newer Windows, you'll have to pry Windows 7 away from my cold, dead hands.

inglewoodpete

Given Microsoft's track record on newer Windows, you'll have to pry Windows 7 away from my cold, dead hands.
I understand the sentiment. I prefer W7 to XP or either of the W8s. I haven't tried W10 - I prefer to 'buy-in' to products at the end of their production run, rather than be a trendsetter. In this case, I'll probably upgrade to W10 in July 2016.

But even Windows 7 has its problems. My version of Windows 7 Home Premium keeps wanting to replace the AXE027 (FTDI) driver with the driver for a pointing device. So I haven't wanted to upgrade to W10 yet because it's not possible to easily hold back it's automatic updates. It don't know if W10 will try the same thing.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
But even Windows 7 has its problems. My version of Windows 7 Home Premium keeps wanting to replace the AXE027 (FTDI) driver with the driver for a pointing device.
That issue is usually Windows detecting serial activity on a COM port during booting, leading Windows to presume it has a mouse or pointing device on that port. It can be caused by booting with an AXE027 connected while the PICAXE is sending data up the download cable using SERTXD or DEBUG.

The easy solution is to power the PICAXE off or unplug the cable and reboot. A more permanent solution is to prevent Windows from scanning for pointing devices and serial mice. The means to do that will usually depend on which version of Windows is being used. Some details here -

http://www.taltech.com/support/entry/windows_2000_nt_serial_mice_and_missing_com_port