Where can I find a SMPS schematic, 10A 3V out 10-26V input ?

manie

Where can I find the above circuit ? Anyone knows ?

Please help.......................

Manie

nick12ab

What you should do is go to an electronic component seller's website and do a parametric search according to your specification. Example: Farnell. If you then look at the datasheet for the device you want, it will show you a circuit diagram in the 'typical applications' section.

Dippy

Mmmm... if you'd looked (as I suggested that on 1st April Post #21) you could have had a dozen Data Sheets and Application examples on your PC by now.... ;)

You have 2 basic options; an integrated switcher or a switching controller (like I said in that same post ).
Sadly, many are fiddly little SMD. I reckon an LM315x + bits would fit the bill.

ALWAYS read the full specs before parting with the cash.

There are probably a dozen similar items. Check the BOMs required and ALWAYS pay attention to component specs and recommended layouts with switchers.... unless you are 'happy with crappy' :)

Goeytex

You can download LTSpice and have hundreds of schematics for different SMPS designs based on LT smps controllers.

bluejets

If the need is to build one, perhaps think about using computer power supply, cheap plentiful and almost indestructable. Save a lot of time and bother.

manie

Dippy

Point taken and well made ! I was on the web with National Semi LM3150 and opted for their 10A output 250MHz demo boards (2 off). Shipping is darned expensive at US $60.00 but they claim 2 to 3 days !!!! I will have them on the fourth day !!! They do not know S.A. ..........................

The eval board will prove or disprove the 10A claim, we will see. Thanks for the heads-up though, I appreciate it...............

Manie

Dippy

Ditto on the gobsmack factor! $60 !?!

That wasn't a 'heads up' , that was a 'hands up' - as in highway robbery :)

Absolutely get a ready-built if budget is happy.
I use TDK-Lambda at work (albeit UK made) and they are good (and the Company is very helpful too).

manie

BB:
Look at the price, UK Sterling 33.00 ! Then there is still shipping etc. Also it is a PSU, I should have mentioned I require DC-DC...........
Thanks though, will see what the Mouser units look like...........
Manie

MartinM57

...any other suggestions for ready made converters that don't meet the requirements?

OP says "10A 3V out 10-26V input" and we have:
- one mains AC input power supply
- one 10v-15v DC range input converter :D

MikeGyver

lol but wouldn't any already made product not qualify since he says hes looking for a schematic. People don't always know what they're looking for so I try to offer alternative suggestions when I think it could be helpful. Some things are always better bought than built, unless you're strictly building for the learning experience.

bluejets

lol but wouldn't any already made product not qualify since he says hes looking for a schematic. People don't always know what they're looking for so I try to offer alternative suggestions when I think it could be helpful. Some things are always better bought than built, unless you're strictly building for the learning experience.
I agree. I think some want to jump into some projects without the experience to know when it's not really the way to go. Buying already made and do a mod somewhere else to compensate can make sense in many ways.
For myself, if 26V input was absolutely unavoidable, I would be looking at a 24v inverter driving an old pc supply unit. (or a new one)

Inverter here for $20.00 .....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0019-0025-Car-Power-Inverter-DC24V-AC220V-100W-/130671940389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6ca79325

Last edited:

manie

Thanks ALL !!!
I will have a look at the eval boards from National (Mouser sypplies it)............ I am sure it will meet with the requirements at 3V out = 30W @ 10A.
Thanks for all the heads up's, there are lots of stuff out there to buy, but e-bay, NAH !!!!! They normally just have 1 or 10 and thats it ! Maybe I require
more than that ????
Manie

nick12ab

For myself, if 26V input was absolutely unavoidable, I would be looking at a 24v inverter driving an old pc supply unit. (or a new one)

Inverter here for $20.00 .....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0019-0025-Car-Power-Inverter-DC24V-AC220V-100W-/130671940389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6ca79325
If you read the description of the eBay listing it says that the input voltage range is 20-28V. Therefore you could use it. But using it to drive another transformer would just add extra inefficiency.

Dippy

Up then down? Inefficient.
If you want ready-built the inventories of farnell, RS, Digikey etc are bursting.
The choice depends on your budget, availability and skill level.
Sounds like Manie is going into production.... I hope the SA Fire Brigade are ready :)

bluejets

I did not see any reference to efficiency requirements all-be -it rather odd request to begin with.
The call was for a circuit diagram which I doubt would show any efficiency ratings if one could be found.
I imagine the idea is to build from scratch and if so, can anyone take a stab at what the efficiency might be?
As MikeGyver said, some things might be better bought than built and this was my point also.

BeanieBots

From an earlier thread, the initial discussion was about a linear design, so I don't think efficiency is an issue except for the local heating aspect.
As for home-brew designs from scratch, efficiency better than an off-the-shelf design can often be obtained because it is possible to tailor to the exact input-output requirements (eg wind your own transformer). Better than 95% should not be too hard with a buck converter because it involves only one switching transistor and an inductor. If isolation between input and output is not an issue, the switch could be low side (draw a regular buck upside-down) and get even better efficiency by using a lower RDSon transistor. So many choices, it's hard to know where to start.

manie

I have purchased 2 x LM3150-250KHz Eval Boards and they arrived today. Quick testing into a 0R25 10W resistor shows them to be GOOD at +- 3.25V ach at 10A. Will let you know how it goes...........

However, how do I parallel them so that they deliver 10A EACH into the SAME load, that is 20A when used together and I do not mean power SHARING..........???????
Manie

EDIT:

Anyone ????

Last edited: