what to with your information

jinx

hi,
Am beginning to build up a lot stuff on picaxe and my projects, and the other day while googling i came across "google sites " which lets you build a web site for free SO BEING FREE. I had to give it go and it's not that hard to use after a couple hours i had the start to my web site https://sites.google.com/site/jinxydesktopbots/ now am still building it up so please dont be to hard on me and i thought of you guys having some great projects so just wanted to give you'll a head up about.
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2F&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2F&service=jotspot&ul=1

jinx

manuka

Way to go there Jinx! Perhaps- ahem- look to those home page typos however,as blunders like "mircochip" rather reduce the impact. It's often a good idea to get a 2nd opinion on ones text & style BEFORE publishing!

westaust55

As an extension of Manuka's comments, (and yes, I make typos too - those fiendishly flailing fingers combined with one hand faster than the other) when promoting the Rev Ed products suggest that you try to use the same capitalisation as Rev Ed use, so PICAXE and 08M2, etc.

You might also want to correct the “trademark comment based on the Rev Ed website statements.

PICAXE® products are developed and distributed by Revolution Education Ltd​
And from http://www.picaxe.com/Contact/

Trademarks
PICAXE® Trademark
PICAXE® is a registered trademark licensed by Microchip Technology Inc. to Revolution Education Ltd for exclusive worldwide use. Revolution Education is not an agent or representative of Microchip and has no authority to bind Microchip in any way.​

However, personally, I will always recommend that forum members post details (schematic, code, couple of photos) of their finished projects here on the PICAXE forum rather than just a link to some external website.
While websites are set up with all good intentions, I have found failed links to many over the past few years because the website originator or the hosting group close up shop.

jinx

thanks for the replys guys those typo do tend slip by me thanks for pointing them out,the site is still in a very rough state due to just starting and never done anything like it before,it's all good fun.
However, personally, I will always recommend that forum members post details (schematic, code, couple of photos) of their finished projects here on the PICAXE forum rather than just a link to some external website
i agree with you on that westaust55 it's not my intention for me to replace or bypass the finished project section as for me i welcome feed back on my projects from members i found that it can enhance future projects, and that's why i will always post in the finished section. gotta say that am really struggling producing schemtic using either diptrace or designspark i did manage to draw one the other day on paper the problem was getting from paper to pc but i keep plodding on.
jinx.

manuka

Jinx: For simple schematics just use a drawing program. Everyone has their favourite, but even Windows Paint can rustle up acceptable presentations. See the likes of this from 2005.

Ahem- YOU ARE IMPORTANT, so always make that "i " a capital I, & start sentences with a capital letter too!

MartinM57

..it worked for me the other day, but now wants a sign up/login.

I don't have one, so it must have been open previously. Strange.

JimPerry

That seems to be insisting I sign-up before it will let me see your site. If that's how it's meant to be, you could be losing quite a lot of your potential audience. IMO it would be better to choose a web service that allows people to see the site without having to sign-up.
Even worse you need permission from the poster to view the site

jinx

hi
manuka I thankyou, Hippy you dont have too sign up/in I,ve not made it public yet as am going to send Rev Ed an email in the morning too seek some advice if their happy with me and the way the site is developing i link a lot too PICAXE.com and want to make sure their happy with that, am becoming a good friend to this sitehttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/ and I make it public to you guys first to get some feed back on it thanks for the interest.
jinx

Dippy

jinx, you say in post#9 that we don't have to sign in (to view).
How?
I'm certainly not giving Google my email address.
And any effort to view will put some people off as Hippy has pointed out.

And, whilst we all make slip-ups , if you want to take spelling seriously, then get reading the dictionary now...:)
e.g.
"Hippy you dont have too sign,," & "..too seek some advice.."
- there is only ONE "o" when using the word "to" in that context.
"Too" suggests excess, as in 'too big' , 'too smelly" etc. - will autospell correct that?
And " I,ve" should be "I've".

Just remember that some people judge us by our smelling.

A question that I've been bursting to ask; do non-English Forums have such lousy spelling too?

jinx

the link to the Dictionary is my dry humour eclectic I may well be the worst grammatical speller this forum has seen, yet I still challenge myself to build a web site

eclectic

the link to the Dictionary is my dry humour eclectic I may well be the worst grammatical speller this forum has seen, yet I still challenge myself to build a web site
1. What are you using to type your messages?

A real keyboard or a a teeny typing phone thingy?

2. Please, please, include some some paragraphs and punctuation.

e

Paix

You are being optimistic Dippy. A newly licensed radio amateur registered his call on the QRZ.com database and was proud enough to ask myself and a few friends to give his details a quick once over. I took the page and corrected all the grammar, punctuation, spelling errors and removed an unwise item.

I posted it back to him as an attachment in an email so that he could review it and consider if it better fitted his requirements. Two days later I got an email saying that he had corrected spelling and punctuation and would I have another look. Same old original page with one typo and maybe one piece of punctuation corrected.

He likes to do it his way he says, and feels that it gives it the personal feel. Sure it does. It smacks of idleness and a lack of attention to detail that frightens most normal people.

Jinx, would you take seriously a website that is riddled with typographical spelling errors and seemed to have the language attributes of the average of a N419 scammer? If not, why would you not exercise due diligence and polish your prose before exposing it to others.

Remember if the item is between a second and a fourth, that you can only polish it so much and it will remain a third! Names changed to protect those that should remain innocent . . . ha ha.

westaust55

With my own Fiendishly Flailing Fingers, I am far from perfect on typed spelling even though I know perfectly well how to spell. Typos are often picked up on a second pass).
I find that immediately after something is written/typed, I read back what I intended to write as opposed to what I wrote. I find it is far better to come back to a document later to proof read for spelling errors.

For those preparing or formatting a document or webpage, the Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) is worth a read. Part 2 is the section of greatest use for most folks.
It covers topics such as grammar, punctuation, Capitalisation, bullet point rules, abbreviations, and a lot more.
See: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/contents.html

The section on SI units under the Science and Technology sub heading is also worthy of note. Something that I have expounded upon several times in the past on this forum.
No periods are used after any of the SI symbols for units, and the same symbols are used for both the singular and the plural. Most symbols are lowercased; exceptions are those that stand for units derived from proper names (e.g., A, for ampere) and those that must be distinguished from similar lowercased forms. All units are lowercased in their spelled-out form except for degree Celsius (°C).
There should also be a space between the numeric part and the text of the units. For example 25 mA or 4.5 V

These rules are cover in International Sstandard ISO 1000 (here in Australia AS ISO 1000 ).

Last edited:

jinx

hi,
thanks for the link westaust55 am going to sign up for the free trial in a couple of days need to get a few things out of the way
jinx