What does negative voltage supply mean?

BrendanP

What does 'negative voltage supply' mean? How can a power supply be negative?

And, while I have your attention, can someone give me a simple explanation of the difference between resistance and impedance?

Thanks.

alband

It's all relative:
Voltage is like distance. You can not say what is the voltage of something without having something else to measure it with. You do not say what is your distance, you say what is your distance from another object. Well voltage is the same. It is a measure of the voltage diference between two objects.

I agree that this is becoming more and more difficult to explain. I am running out of simple answers.

Dippy

Well its all relative innit.

Have a Google. You'll much fuller answers and pretty pictures too.
Tried Wikipeadia??????

BeanieBots

Well voltage has been answered nicely, so here's the other bit.

Resistance ONLY applies to resistors.
Impedance is to resistance what velocity is to speed.

Impedance includes time and phase.

For example, an inductor's impedance is a function of frequency.
So is a capacitor's.

If you put two resistors in parallel, the combined resistance goes down and is simply the sum of their condcutances. 1/R' = 1/R1 + 1/R2.
However, that simplified equation would not work if you were to put an indcutor and a capacitor in parallel. You would need to include the time domain in the summing equation.

Hence, when people talk of input impedance, they mean the WHOLE thing. Not the DC RESISTANCE part.

Dippy

In there like a true graduate :)

Real / Imaginary
resistance / reactance.
thats what I was taught in nursery school.

vttom

Resistance and impedance more-or-less describe the same phenomenon.

The subtle difference is that resistance is typically a DC (direct current) measurement, whereas impedance is an AC (alternating current) measurement.

For instance, if you measure a loop of wire with a DC ohm meter, you will get 0 Ohms, which is the DC resistance. However, if you then put an AC signal across the loop and measure it's impedance (you can do this with an oscilloscope in XY mode where 1 axis is the voltage and the other axis is current, and computing impedance from the slope of the line since R=V/I), you will observe that the impedance will start out at or near 0 for low frequencies, but then increase as you increase the frequency (incidentally, this is due to the inductance of the wire).

Dippy

Just think, with nearly 6 hours of Googling and Alta-Vista-ing and Wiki-ing you could have found a concise answer , with graphs, pictures and everything you could have asked for...

So, next question; whats the speed of light in a volume at absolute zero K in a field of zero gravity? Discuss how this could affect quantum theory related to the use of Superconductors and supercooled opto-electronic logic gates. Feel free to burble on about tachyons too if you think it will impress.

papaof2

Now we've progressed to final exam questions ;-)

The next quesion in this series is:

Describe the universe; give two examples.

John

dusko

These discussions--that's why I like this forum. And yes, please don't forget--if you're discussing universe, you always have to put it into context.

moxhamj

Final exams?

Q: Draw a neat labelled map of the world. Be sure to include all street names and bus stops.

or

How come this question is worth 20 marks when the answer is "Yes"?

Re negative voltages. Take two 9V batteries and put them in series. Call the negative of the lower one 0V. You will have 9V where they are joined, and 18V on the positive of the higher one. Or to look at it another way, call the join 0V, and then you have -9V on the negative of the lower one, and +9V on the positive of the higher one.

It is a bit semantic as to which one you use. If those batteries and their circuit are not connected to anything else, then you might use 0V. But say you connect 0V to the case of a computer and that case is connected to Ground. Now your 0V becomes ground. And this has real consequences, because a wire in a moist environment with a reasonably low resistance to ground (say a nail in a bit of wet wood) with +9V on it will corrode, but a nail with -9V will not.

westaust55

Even with a straight length of wire, the DC and AC resistance will differ.
That is due to skin effect with AC, where the current density is greater near the surface and little current flows near the centre of the conductor.

Then as mentioned inductance/capacitance will come into play with AC measurements

manuka

Dr_A's 2x 9V battery example wins my approval- it's the one I traditionally use too & is dead easy to demonstrate.

kevrus

Dusko said
These discussions--that's why I like this forum. And yes, please don't forget--if you're discussing universe, you always have to put it into context.
I thought the meaning of life,the universe and everything was 42

Jeremy Leach

Correct, as explained here .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything#Answer_to_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29
A Krikkit-robot caused a massive overdose of a truth serum to be accidentally administered to Prak, who was then sworn to tell "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" which he did unstoppably. Prak confirms that 42 is indeed The Ultimate Answer, and confirms that it is impossible for both The Ultimate Answer and The Ultimate Question to be known about in the same universe (compare the uncertainty principle) as they will cancel each other out and take the Universe with them to be replaced by something even more bizarre (as described in the first theory) and that it may have already happened (as described in the second).
All picaxe related (!) but digressing a bit :)