Westaust55 and FRAM

kewakl

** ** ** WAIT, I hit the SUBMIT BUTTON by mistake! ** ** **

Here it is.
I am considering using FRAM from RAMTRON for some datalogging.
My son is almost old enough for a driving learning permit.
I want to log the g-forces on the car/truck
Currently, I am thinking....(oops)

3-Axis accelerometer
from sparc(isnotso)fun :eek::confused:
DS1307 module (also from sparc(isnotso)fun )
picaxe 20x2/28x2(also from sparc(isnotso)fun )

I do not yet have the DS1307, so I have not investigated the data format from it.

Mouser has the RAMTRON F-RAM. I must determine what I NEED to log.
I am thinking that on POWER-UP log the date and time.
At any over-limit on the X/Y/Z axis, log the offending axes values with date/timestamp.
-------------------If I had a GPS module, I could really keep tabs on him! :D

I have powered the accelerometer from batteries, so I have an idea what values I get for certain x/y position values(Z is different)
The X/Y/Z axes will be 8-bit (using readadc) (NOT READADC10!!!!!)
So if I need to log the AXES datum AND data/time, I will need :
8-bit, 8-bit, 8-bit plus whatever datasize is returned for the date/time.
I do not want to continuously log the values, just the OUT OF BOUNDS data values with corresponding data/timestamps.

WAIT -- some RAMTRONICS modules HAVE RTC in-built! Oops, Built in!
hold off on comments, until I can look into this.

Using an FM3130 (64k) I could get approx 8000 timestamped samples(have not done the math yet!) --- enough to convict!!!!
Alas, I want more samples... ((((ALL 512K do not have RTC or are not in stock or OBSOLETE-----)

OK - it looks like the 31xx series has 64k + RTC. I will have to live with 64K/8000 samples. the rest are either not available(not in stock) or obsolete.. (mouser, anyway)

Last edited:

kewakl

Well, if Westy has typos, then kewakl must have a stuttering finger (same post x 4 4 4 4)
I have stuttering lots of things - its heck getting old and trying to learn new things and anyways the light is OFF!!

SHOOT, Can I help it if the forum software is that stupid?
Moderators. Please remove the duplicates. HECK, remove all of this thread! I'll repost later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@PerthEng
This is a weird thing. Thanks for bringing it to my attentionl! I did not know that this was happening!

Last edited:

moxhamj

Duplicates deleted. Order has returned to the Cosmos. The thread itself looks very interesting. My son is also almost old enough to drive. But I'm not sure I really want to know the accellerometer data...

Last edited:

roscos

kewakl,
Have a look at the September edition of Elektor magazine.
Page 30 GPS logger, this may be adaptable to your requirements.
Roscos.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Sounds like an interesting project but I'm not sure about using G-force measurements for 'social control' or assessing driving quality or safety. How safe G-force will be will depend on the vehicle's road-holding which is a combination of vehicle design, tyres, road type and condition and weather. What seems dangerous may be entirely safe while what looks safe may actually be dangerous. A particular G-force when moving in a straight line may be acceptable but not whilst cornering.

Good quality and safe driving is not obtained by simply staying within any particular limits but driving appropriately for the conditions and circumstances.

kewakl

Sounds like an interesting project but I'm not sure about using G-force measurements for 'social control' or assessing driving quality or safety. How safe G-force will be will depend on the vehicle's road-holding which is a combination of vehicle design, tyres, road type and condition and weather. What seems dangerous may be entirely safe while what looks safe may actually be dangerous. A particular G-force when moving in a straight line may be acceptable but not whilst cornering.

Good quality and safe driving is not obtained by simply staying within any particular limits but driving appropriately for the conditions and circumstances.
Great points, but he already knows about this project. I will try to use this project to build his interest in Picaxe.
If he can see the results of the datalogging, and the relationship between vehicle movement and the represented data, then maybe he will get the picaxe bug.

@roscos, I have that issue, THANKS for the mention!:)

@ Dr. Thanks. I do NOT remember leaving the forum editor, but maybe I had a lapse.....relapse....

@*me* do not post after bed-time!:eek:

kewakl

Parallax
datalogger #27937 USD34.99 Processor VNC1L-1A Could not find specsheets. (no point looking now)

Vinculum
VDRIVE (2) USD24.50 Processor VNC1L-?? HAVE specsheets, have forum support here.
-------------------------------------------Not much of a choice.

I like the idea of FRAM for cost, but the idea of leaving the device semi-permanently mounted with a removable usb stick is better for me.

I did look at the uALFAT from GHI Electronics USD48.00