We Need a ChromeOS Picaxe Editor

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
PICAXE Cloud (click the Cloud Programming link at the top of the page) supports programming and simulation in ChromeOS (blocks or basic code). It has been widely used by schools running ChromeOS for many years now.

bpowell

PICAXE Cloud (click the Cloud Programming link at the top of the page) supports programming and simulation in ChromeOS (blocks or basic code). It has been widely used by schools running ChromeOS for many years now.
How is the code downloaded to the PICAXE? Is there an application for ChromeOS that handles this? Chrome extension?

Thanks!

piclt

Section5 of manual might be worth a read....... Picaxe manuals...Section5 ....Blockly ....... page 11.....get the .axe file exported and use the chrome app to download to chip

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
How is the code downloaded to the PICAXE? Is there an application for ChromeOS that handles this? Chrome extension?

Thanks!
The online app now downloads direct to your PICAXE chip from within the browser, no separate downloader app is required any more. Must be using Chrome or Edge browser for this to work (and obviously Chrome is the default on chromebook anyway).

Blockly for PICAXE - Software - PICAXE

steliosm

Great news Technical. I take it you use the WebSerial API for this. The WebUSB API will let you bypass the need for OS drivers and support code download on platforms such as android phones/tablets.

bpowell

no separate downloader app is required any more.
Is there a separate downloader app? I spend 90% of my computer time on a chromebook ... When I want to tinker with PICAXE code, I remote into a server which has the PE6 installed .... I can write, simulate, and check code ... but if I want to actually program a PICAXE, I need to get to a full blown windows computer, fire up PE there, grab the program from the network folder, and push it onto the chip. I'd love to be able to have an app on the chrombook that I can just point to a network folder, and it'll grab the .bas program ... compile and load it via Chromebook!

erco

Re: Chromebooks...I've been buying up used HP Stream laptops for $40-50. Chromebook-sized 11" and 14" versions with Celeron N4000 or higher with 4/64 GB memory will run Windows 11, great for teaching or coding on the go, 8+ hour battery life.

Lesser laptops run Windows 10 well enough, but that support ends in 2025.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Is there a separate downloader app? I spend 90% of my computer time on a chromebook ... When I want to tinker with PICAXE code, I remote into a server which has the PE6 installed .... I can write, simulate, and check code ... but if I want to actually program a PICAXE, I need to get to a full blown windows computer, fire up PE there, grab the program from the network folder, and push it onto the chip. I'd love to be able to have an app on the chrombook that I can just point to a network folder, and it'll grab the .bas program ... compile and load it via Chromebook!
The old Chrome PICAXE programmer app has been available for many years here, and can also download an .axe file exported from PE6.

However it is not required any more, as it is simpler to download directly from within PICAXE cloud website.

piclt

This thread has created a fair wee bit of gossip....... The best thing is to try it out. It takes a wee bit of nit picking to find all the options.....
First go to the Picaxe.com web page and Click Cloud Programming at top of screen and you have to login.... As a First time user you will have to setup a New login even though you have a Picaxe Forum Login and User Account. As part of the Process it asks for your Full Name and setup passwords etc etc...... You never notice that it doesn't ask to setup a Username or Screen Name so it uses your Full Name as the Screen Name or User Name and will splash your Full Name across all the web pages it uses throughout the Cloud. I don't mind it asking for my Full Name but it should have a User Name as well for user display so as to give privacy and security especially as this will be used by young people.....???

I don't have a chromebook so I tried the online cloud programming out on my Windows 11 desktop with Edge browser......and it all works....self contained.....programme with Blockly, Picaxe Basic, Javascript, XML. And the programmer is contained in it.... no need to download any app.
You can keep your programs (projects) saved online or Export projects to your computer to keep.... it saves it as a XML file on your computer. (this is text not for picaxe chip download)
If you want to edit the project again later you can Import the XML file as a Project Import and continue editing...... or if saved online just edit from there.
You can run the simulator and watch the pins flashing
To actually Program the Picaxe..... connect it as normal to your USB via AXE027 or whatever ..... Pair up the connection port and click menu PICAXE, Program ... and watch the green bar while downloading.
You can Export the compiled PICAXE program to your PC.... this exports as a compiled .axe file saved to your computer for use with the standalone app..... but I don't see the need to do this for cloud only computing. You cannot Import the .axe file again for further editing and saving.
For saving projects and further editing export to XML and then Import the XML again later.

Last edited: