VSM Tutorials

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We've just uploaded some tutorials to the www.picaxevsm.com website. They are in draft layout format at present but if you are a new user to PICAXE VSM you will probably still find them useful!

We are hoping for a full release early next week.

Mycroft2152

Technical, a few quetions about the full release:

1. Will the HELP files be VISTYA compatible?
2. When exporting the netlist to EAGLE is a remapping file for the packages needed?
3 Is it posible to create a new remapping fioe for a different (non-listed)_ pcb program, i.e., DIPTRACE?

Myc

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
A quick google shows that diptrace can import Tango netlists, so try exporting in Tango format from VSM.

Mycroft2152

Thanks for the link to fix the HELP files.

I'm realy not intrested in using EAGLE. I spent 3 years fighting EAGLE and moved over to DIPTRACE.

It is ompirtant for me to be able to import the netlists into DIPTRACE. DIPTRACE will import TANGO formatted netlists. But I would not want to hand convert the packages each time I import a netlist. Since there is a remapping protocol for REALpcb, I would write one for DIPTRACE, if there was the abiltiy to use it.

Myc

Note: "TANGO" messages crossed paths

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
All you need to do is change the 'PCB package' property of your parts to the DIPTRACE name. Best thing would be to do this once and then build the parts into your own user library - then if you build a new circuit using these parts the name will already be correct. Bear in mind you also have to make sure that the pin number orientation are the same e.g. the anode/cathode of an LED are around the correct way!

It does take some time to setup, but once done you wil have a library that will work straight away every time.

Use physical mode on export.

Last edited:

Labcenter

ISIS will export netlists in multiple formats - including TANGO - from the Tools Menu - Netlist Compiler command. Use in Physical netlist mode.

You will, as mentioned, need to map the footprint names into those used by the destination PCB package; they are currently assigned for the Labcenter ARES PCB package.

I agree that the best way to do this is to spend the time initially repackaging the parts (i.e. changing the PACKAGE=xxxx property of the components and rebuilding into your own library).

Iain.

profbill

Netlist to EAGLE

Has anybody suceeded in generating a netlist in ISIS and exporting it to EAGLE?
I need to use EAGLE as I have the G-Code generation capability for EAGLE that drive a CNC PCB Router.

Do I need XCONVERT.exe to make it work?

I could I suppose recapture the layout and re-identify the components in EAGLE but would prefer to use the Netlist Compiler and go straight to Eagle as suggested as possible in the Tutorial!

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!

Bill.