VSM problem with picaxe

refr0

HI, i am new in programming picaxe mcu.. I download PICAXE VSM from www.picaxevsm.com and created project and get debugging but write error: "DSIM model AXEVSM.DLL failed to authorize - Missing or invalid customer key."
I dont know where is problem...Help me pls...and sory my low english..

tiscando

Without a license key installed in PICAXE VSM, no picaxe program apart from the demo samples would run, so you have to buy a license key from www.picaxevsm.com (under 'purchase'), to enable your created picaxe programs to run on the virtual VSM picaxes, and also enable the save and print functions.

garyboy

Diabled demo

Without a license key installed in PICAXE VSM, no picaxe program apart from the demo samples would run, so you have to buy a license key from www.picaxevsm.com (under 'purchase'), to enable your created picaxe programs to run on the virtual VSM picaxes, and also enable the save and print functions.
So aside from the print and save being disabled you can't even try your own programs? What good is the demo then? All you can do with it is run the demo programs they decided to provide?

I will NOT be buying this software. Disableware just makes me angry.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If you could build and simulate your own circuits, why would you buy the software? PICAXE VSM software is a commercial product, without income the software would not have been developed/maintained!

You do not need VSM to use PICAXE - use the free Programming Editor software for program writing / chip programming. VSM is for circuiot simulation.

QuIcK

The VSM is based on industry standard PSpice software by Proteus.
basic simulators can cost upwards of £100, most averaging around £300, with the platinum edition peaking at £3500.

for £50, you get a HUGE array of tools and components that allows you to simulate analogue and digital circuits, from audio amplifiers and filters, to silicon shift registers, AND simulate a picaxe circuit before you shell out £15-£20 for some kit to test it.
Sure, if you've got the hardware lying around, its cheaper, but you still run the risk of popping your pic. Besides which, you have to rebuild your test bench, so you cant work on multiple projects at once unless you have multiple testbenches.

I absolutely love it, it has allowed me to do some proof-of-concept things extremely quickly and cheaply. Also helped me to understand exactly whats being sent along i2c busses etc. Sure, you can look at the specs, but seeing it on a scope is so much nicer.

As for "disableware"... dont get me started. I hate that management/business/make-up word speech thing going on.
The picaxe vsm is not Shareware, or Freeware, or "disableware". It is Software. Proper, proffessional software. Like MS Word, Pro Tools, AutoCAD and nuumerous other professional bits of software. The fact that they have offered a demo showing the functionality of the software is very kind of them!
It is not something to be downloaded on the sly and cracked.

Rev-Ed have developed an incredibley clever line of products at an extremely affordable price bracket. Although intended as educational, they haven't confined it to educational purchases only, and have kept prices as low as possible for the public at large!
They have complimented this line of products with a FREE programming and simulating suite, allowing for easy debugging, program following, and even simulation of basic parts.
For the more ambitious, they have developed extremely powerful software that allows whole circuits to be simulated, with the same level of program following offered by the free editor.

respect rev-ed...

/rant