V5 PIC Buggy question...

Bundu

Hi

I'm new on the board and the PIC buggy is my first project. However, I have a couple of really dumb questions to ask:

The first part of the instructions says to connect either LK2 or LK3. Does this mean just bridging it with the resistor offcut? However the back of the PCB has a red protective covering - is it OK to burn this off before soldering?

Thanks.

BeanieBots

Welcome to the forum.

To be clear, do you mean this buggy?
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/chi007.pdf

If yes, then for making the link, yes, you can use a length of wire cut off from the resistors.
The protective layer on the back of the board should be peeled off before soldering. It will come away in one peice very easily with a finger nail.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
As BB says, peel off the red peelable layer to expose the pads, do not try to burn it off!

Bundu

Yep...that's the one!

Thanks for the info - when you're new, sometimes the simplest things can throw you!

Thank you both very much.

Bundu

All present and correct - functioning fine. I know this is not a programming question but it is about modifying the kit.

I want to build some sort of case for this buggy - if I ever want to adapt the hardware on this PCB, is it OK to un-solder things like the LEDs and then re-solder them again with longer legs?

I also need more ground clearance so will fitting larger wheels be OK? Will the current motor produce enough torque? What about increasing speed?

NB: I am not getting email updates of replies - can a moderator check this out?

Last edited:

BeanieBots

No problem with putting longer wires on the LEDs. Just be careful not to damgage the PCB and/or LEDs when you de-solder them.

Larger wheels will be OK within reason.
Doube the radius and you halve the torque.
This is something you will need to experiment with to see how far you can take things.

No emails:
They're working for me.
Have you subscribed to get them? Double check your profile settings.
Check your spam folder.

Bundu

I've checked my email settings but everything is A-OK, perhaps it'll work out. Thanks again for the other advice.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I've checked my email settings but everything is A-OK, perhaps it'll work out. Thanks again for the other advice.
A few ISPs just filter out the forum emails completely, in that case the only current solution is a different email account.