Using Serin/Serout with USB lead

cpedw

I have cobbled together a circuit similar to the Datalogger module AXE110 using the AXE091 development board. This all worked fine; I used the wizard to write a program; collected data using Datalink and all was well.
Then I changed from a serial connection to USB. The download works OK so I have set up the USB connection right I think. But I can't use the Datalink utility to transfer data. The wizard uses
serin 6, N4800, ("G")
and
serout 7,N4800 ...

to receive a prompt and send data. Why won't it work through the USB connection?
Thanks,
Derek

cpedw

Yes, I'm using the AXE027 for USB download/transfer; the AXE026 for serial port operation. SHould also mention the chip is an 18x.
Derek

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
So you are using the 3.5mm jack socket at the bottom of the board for the serial connection? Which PICAXE pins have you jumpered across to the N side TX and RX pins on the RS232 connection point?

cpedw

So you are using the 3.5mm jack socket at the bottom of the board for the serial connection? Which PICAXE pins have you jumpered across to the N side TX and RX pins on the RS232 connection point?
That's right. I use the midle connector on the side for programming - that seems to wok with USB and serial cables, then move to the bottom jack socket for data transfer.
The connections are:
N-TXD - leg 13, output7
N-RXD - leg 15, Input 6.

Here are the relevant bits of code (from the Datalogger wizard):
'Wait for G character sent from software
serin 6, N4800, ("G") 'Wait for GO signal
and
'transmit data
tx_data:
serout 7,N4800,(#address,COM,#data0,COM,#data1,COM,#data2,COM,#data7,RET,LFEED)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
All correct, should work! The two socket circuits are identical, so assuming no pcb damage, there is no reason why one should work and the other not!

cpedw

Problem solved (well sort of). I found that the reason why it wasn't working is that I had connected one of the Digital Input Switches in parallel with the Serial Input on Input 6. That was to allow its use as an Interrupt.
I see from the datasheet that the switch has a 10k resistor to 0V, similar to the Download circuit. It's surprising that it prevents Serin from working with the USB cable but the Serial cable is happy to allow it.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This 10k would be on the PICAXE (not computer) side of the 22k. That is why it would not work.