Using Hall effect liquid flow sensors

Tvmender

Hi all

I have a project in mind where I need to measure the flow (and thus quantity) of a liquid and stop pump at a predetermined amount.

I am thinking of using Hall effect flow sensors. These do output rather fast pulses when the pump is running.

Are there any pitfalls to be aware when using these sensors and which method of counting the pulses would be most effective? Interrupt based counting or pulse counting etc?

Ta!

papaof2

First you need to determine the pulse rate. How many pulses per gallon/liter and how many gallons/liters per minute/second?
Pressure might also be a factor as some of those sensors are packaged in plastic which might not handle the pressure you need.

One clothes washer used a sensor which porduced 815 pulses per gallon. That service would certainly have been less than 80PSI and probably less than 40PSI. However, that sensor worked well at very low pressure (less than 1 PSI).

Tvmender

Thanks Papaof2

I'm thinking of using a car washer pump and a flow sensor so relatively low pressure but reasonably "fast" pulses.

I will give it a go and see what I get.