using a spdt switch as input

jondvy

Hullo, I wonder if someone could answer a question which seems simple but which I have struggled to find the answer to?

Can I use a single pole double throw switch as a digital input device to a picaxe chip without the resistors usually shown in diagrams which use a simple momentary on switch. In other words if the common part of the switch is connected to the picaxe pin and the other two are connected to the +ve and 0v rails respectively will I encounter any problems. I suspect not because unlike any open switch in which one state will be floating unless it is tied to one of the rails a spdt switch arranged like above will either be fully +ve or fully grounded. Am I being naive?

Thanks in advance

nick12ab

Depends whether the switch is make before break or break before make. If it is make before break then a brief short will be caused on the power rails causing the PICAXE and everything else to reset but if it is break before make then unless there could be a problem with the PICAXE input briefly floating for the short time it takes for the switch to be toggled then it will be fine.

srnet

I would work, although be aware that if the switch goes faulty, it could short out the +Ve and 0V rails and melt.

As for the resistors, PICAXEs do have internal pullup resistors on some pins that you can enable. Then a simple push button is enough, no additional resistors required.

techElder

Now, think about what you are trying to accomplish and decide if it's worth doing that way.

Are you just trying to save a resistor?

If you tied one of your inputs to "+ve" it would always read as logical HIGH unless your switch was wired to pull it down to logical LOW. Or vice versa. Your switch would only have 2 wires to it, because NOT CONNECTED or FLOATING would already be determined by tying a PICAXE pin HIGH or LOW. You could tie it that way with an external resistor or use the internal pullup as stated by srnet above.