usb programming cable malfunction

Berny

My AXE027 USB programming cable is giving me problems. I have to push it, pull it, twist it to get it to make contact on the mini jack end. I convinced myself there was a bad connection in the cable so I took it apart by removing the "shroud" from the jack end. There are 3 wires, orange, black and yellow. The yellow wire appeared to be soldered to the connector at on time but I can't tell where. I tried figuring out where it should go but the tip and second contact always appear to be close to ground even with the yellow wire disconnected. There is a red, green and brown wire also that have been clipped far short of the jack. At the bottom of the jack there are two obvious solder points. The orange wire is connected to the top point and the black wire to the point below that but I can find no solder point for the yellow wire. (might be why it is not working!) Can someone tell me where the yellow wire is supposed to connect to?
I realize this may be a really dumb question but ... I did not expect to have to "fix" this cable:)

bluejets

Not sure about your axe027 plug but all other stereo jack plugs have tip, second ring and lastly the clamp that holds the cable.
Only 3 wires used so my guess is here.
Wiring diagram in the manual but it doesn't show actual connection to the plug.(axe027.pdf ...... last page)

Berny

That was it bluejets! My programming cable now works as it should. From the looks of the solder joint that failed, it was amazing it worked as long as it did. The other solder joints didn't look that good either so I re soldered those also. Back in business:)