urf to erf issue

jinx

hi,
well I finally got the urf erf modules, am attempting to program the a 14m2 with a simple blink program.bread erf2.PNG but am failing miserable, the urf plugged in on com port 9 that's appears fine I see a blinking red led, back on the erf I see the red "heart beat" led blinking even the green led on the bread board will blink. Yet I cant program 14m2. I've moved the breadboard away from the urf too at leashed a metre but know joy. anyone got any ideas where am going wrong.
thx jinx

PaulRB

Jinx, I don't see a 0.1uF decoupling cap near the picaxe power pins. Worth a try...

Does it program ok if you use the serial cable?

Paul

jinx

hi,
yea Paul it load the program via the serial cable, made slight alteration to the breadboarderf34.PNG added a 10k resistor on cts pin as well the jumper and the separate power line. set the urf on com9 urf config.PNGbut still no joy programming the picaxe .yet in the config wizard >info does appear to read and write from the erf.

Last edited:

jinx

hi,
my apologies Paul it was the wrong pic, altered now, well I spent most off the day on this without success :mad: read every thread I found, stripped the breadboard down, moved the setup on another part off the board doubled checked everything used a piece of test code from hippy I found
Code:
 #picaxe 14m2
 #terminal 4800
 do
 serrxd b0
 sertxd( "Got ", b0, cr, lf )
 loop
worked with the serial cable, but still not with urf/erf combo.

erf66.PNG the current setup with a switch on the picaxe power line to reset when needed, I've tried on two machines( laptop) to date. what ever my mistake is am doing it both.

Last edited:

PaulRB

Or something is faulty...

Have you tried connecting 2 more leds (+ series resistors) to the serout and serin pins of the picaxe to prove there is activity on either pin? (You said the green dtr led shows activity). With these leds in place, try the serial cable again to prove the leds are working.

Paul

jinx

hi,
nifty idea which I did they blinked with the serial cable but no such luck with erf, technical you have any ideas, while I read the manual again, was expecting these to work out off the box as they say.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
To check URF and ERF communications; wire up the ERF +V and 0V, connect CTS to 0V, and link the ERF TX and RX pins.

With URF and ERF powered-up, the heartbeat LED's should flash on both.

With the URF COM port selected, Programming Editor Terminal should echo anything entered into the Output Buffer into the Input Buffer when the Send button is pressed.

jinx

hi,
hippy not seeing anything in the input buffer, and that's on both machines (lappy)

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
hi,
hippy not seeing anything in the input buffer, and that's on both machines (lappy)
Are both heart beat LED's flashing ? If you wire-up the ERF DTR LED what does that do ?

Have you tried changing baud rate in Terminal ? Does the ERF DTR LED Flash when baud rate is changed ? When data is sent ?

You could try running the ERF Configuration Wizard to ensure configuration of the ERF is correct.

jinx

both the heart beat led are flashing, erf dtr blinks briefly when power applied nothing after that's, till I turn the picaxe off then it blinks. I,ve tried changing baudrates( close/open terminal window each time, the erf config windows doesn't show the pins b.0 or c.5.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
both the heart beat led are flashing, erf dtr blinks briefly when power applied nothing after that's, till I turn the picaxe off then it blinks.
Not quite sure I understand how you have things setup or what turning the PICAXE off means. For the loopback test the PICAXE is not used, should not be connected. Connect the ERF module TX and RX together, no other connections to TX or RX.

the erf config windows doesn't show the pins b.0 or c.5.
The ERF module has to be wired to pins which the PICAXE can use to configure the module. You will have to rewire to enable configuration.

jinx

Not quite sure I understand how you have things setup or what turning the PICAXE off means
got a switch on the 14m2 power pin
should I have to do a hard reset, means I don't have to cut power the erf if needed.
Connect the ERF module TX and RX together, no other connections to TX or RX
yea did that this morning no joy seeing anything in the terminal window either.

:mad:BAGED UP on their way back too techsupplies

Last edited: