URF not working for Programming

BeanieBots

I seem to have 'broken' my URF module!
In an attempt to get it working again, I have been following this thread
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?25268-URF-reset&highlight=urf*
but to no avail.

History: all I did was change the LED function from Heartbeat to RSSI on the URF.
I have never sent any AT commands to the ERF module.
After this, the units continued to talk to each other but programming was no longer possible.
Reading the linked thread explains why.

However, whenever I try to use "Program for PICAXE use", I get no comms at all let alone the ability to program.
When using the 'simple' wizard to program the URF for PICAXE, everything goes through the motions but the unit does not work. Not even comms.
When using the more detailed wizard, I get an error "Missing data verification string for '5AAA' (ATID)" whenever I try to write the changes.

Any help appreciated.

BeanieBots

OK, got it working again.
However, all attempts using the PE6 wizards failed. I had to use the XRFconfig application to change the PANid to 5AA5.

Hendriks

I had the same problem with the wizard failing to change the PANid.
Apparently a recent update of PE6 (6.0.6.1) covers this problem.
I didn't try it though (since I am really happy that it all works again now)

According to the Revision History:
Current Version: 6.0.6.1
Updated URF/SRF/ERF wizards as settings did not always write correctly

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, please make sure you use the very latest wizards, and make sure you 'match' Panids at both end (either 5AAA or 5AA5, doesn't matter which as long as they are the same at both ends).

BeanieBots

First off, I would like to point out that everything worked fine out of the box, until I fiddled!

I'm not at the hardware's or PC's location right now to check but the PE version is more than likely very early.
There appears to be two issues going on.
The first is that the modules as supplied came with PanID 5AA5 rather than the (PICAXE) 'default' of 5AAA.
The wizard changed the URF id to 5AAA and hence would not chat with the XRF.
Reading Hendriks's experience on this issue quickly showed why they no longer wanted to play together but how to solve it was not so easy.

This is where issue number two comes in. The wizard did not permit a change to the PanID. It accepted the text but would not make the change.
I had to use the wizard to do the main changes and then use XRFconfig to chance the PanID back to 5AA5
Admittedly, changing the ERF to also be 5AAA would have put everything good but that would not have been easy with my hardware setup.

I'll get the latest PE6 and have another play tonight.
The only issue of concern is why the 'as shipped' PanID was 5AA5 on both units.
I have had them since almost the first day they were advertised (so quite old now) and they simply just worked.
It was only because I was looking at getting some more units but wanted to do some range testing first, so I enabled RSSI (which I don't think worked, but one thing at a time...) and the wizard changed the PanID as well.

I'll be messing with frequency and channels next..... so don't go far!