Upsizing an OLED display???

OLDmarty

Hi All,

I have a few small OLED displays (ebay) on my picaxe projects, but these things are tiny at 128x64 pixel resolution.

If i upgrade to a physically bigger OLED display, for example 256x128 pixels (double my original size) will this result in my graphics only filling 1 quarter of the new display? and will i have to now adjust all my graphics/numbers to upscale to fill up the new (larger) display?

What i believe might happen:

I was thinking about this just recently, when i was asked by a friend if i could add a larger display to some (Non-Picaxe) equipment, but i have a strong feeling this won't work correctly without adjusting the code within the 3rd party product (which i clearly don't have access to).

Thanks in advance, if anyone has attempted something like this before?

oracacle

The answer is - it depends.
If the equipement ask the LCD about its specs and then works out what to display from there it could work just fine providing they share common commands and instructions.
I don't really see that being the case.
I have been playing with a u8g screen recently, and the code examples that I have ask the screen for information like hight and width, but the library used in those examples explictly state the chipset, size and interface type.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If i upgrade to a physically bigger OLED display, for example 256x128 pixels (double my original size) will this result in my graphics only filling 1 quarter of the new display? and will i have to now adjust all my graphics/numbers to upscale to fill up the new (larger) display?
I would have generally expected "yes" to both. But doubling horizontal and vertical resolutions shouldn't be too hard; it's basically putting a single pixel out twice to make it wider, repeating each line twice to make it taller.

The trickiness comes in converting some inevitable 8-bit data item holding 8 pixels to become a 16-bit data or pixels for output. That can slow things down if done at run-time so a change to 'font bitmap' or similar might be desirable.

AllyCat

Hi,
.... will this result in my graphics only filling 1 quarter of the new display?
No, it very probably won't work at all. :(

It all depends on the "Display Controller Chip" and two different ones are used even for the "standard" 128 x 64 pixel displays. Actually, the 128 x 32 pixel displays use the same controller chip and "pixel map" as the 128 x 64, but only half are shown at any time (i.e. with the capability of vertical scrolling).

Therefore, I would forget about using a PICaxe to drive a 256 pixel wide display (at least with individual pixels), but I have discussed the 128 by 32/64 OLED drivers HERE .

Cheers, Alan.