Uploading program question

Taniwha

Hi
I am new to Picaxe programming, but have had some experience in programming industrial PLC's. What i would like to know is there anyway to "upload" a programe from the Picaxe (18X) to the programming software on my P.C.? I.E. read the chip program from the chip?
This would be useful if I have programmed the chip from my home pc but want to work on the code on my laptop at work.

Thanks in advance
Stewart

alband

Unfortunately not. You will probably get a few replies from "the top guns" explaining why but you are not the only one to want this. I myself asked the same question when I first started :)

Why do you want to? Perhaps we can help?

Peter M

Hi Stewart,

Welcome to the forum.

simple answer, no.

... I save everything to a flash drive, and take that with me, so that when the bug bites to write, I have the program with me.

Taniwha

thanks for the prompt answer, as to why? well basic laziness and bad habits. I am still learning and not building any actual projects yet so I tend to write some code, download it then delete without saving. then decide I could modify that.... oh Bugger...... etc.

alband

Well I think the solution is clear.;) They don't take up much room so it's probably easiest to have a "clean up" every now and then.

Also, there is nothing better than a good project to get you going so try and think of something you need and get stuck in!

Taniwha

Also, there is nothing better than a good project to get you going so try and think of something you need and get stuck in![/QUOTE]

Well i have three projects to try but first i need to get my head around programming in basic after years of various "ladder" PLC programming.
Once i get started on a complex (to me) multi node system I guess i will be back here asking for help. But first I will learn to crawl.

again thanks for the help, the advice and the warm welcome.

Stewart

BeanieBots

Also, don't forget that what gets sent to the PICAXE is nothing like the (near english) that you type for your program. Even if there was a way of getting all those strange numbers back from the chip, you would not be able to read or understand them.
In particular, all your comments and code explanations (which of course you write religiously every time) would be missing.

I'll leave the copyright and business model reasons for others to explain.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Setting up a web-based email account may be one way to deal with developing in different places. You can email your programs to the web account and use it as a code repository and then have instant access to your programs from anywhere in the world with internet access.