Upgrading the KS0108

Oliverar

Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to change the standard KS0108 to one with a serial input, using the LED042 chip? Sorry to keep asking so many questions at the moment, I promise I will get the hang of it soon! :D
Thanks Again

BeanieBots

Possibly (FGC will be able to answer for sure, and I'm sure he will.) but you will have something non-standard and you will be on your own with any issues.
Much better to stick with something standard and then people can help with first hand experience.
Controlling a graphics display is not an ideal thing for a beginner to start out with and they can chew up the limited resources of a PICAXE very rapidly.

IMHO, you would be better off with an AXE033 for your application.
2X16 should keep you engaged for quite a while.
You'll get plenty of very rapid response for one of those.

eclectic

Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to change the standard KS0108 to one with a serial input, using the LED042 chip? Sorry to keep asking so many questions at the moment, I promise I will get the hang of it soon! :D
Thanks Again
To help you get the hang of questioning,
what are the KS0108 and the LED042?

Please provide Datasheet references.

e

Dippy

The LED042 is the complete module PCB + GLCD(with KS0108 controller).

The LED044 is the firmware chip which provides a serial->GLCD conversion (which I think is what you are after).
You will have to make a PCB (or some kind of board) to 'talk' to the KS0108 based GLCD.

The LED042 Data Sheet shows the electrical connections. There are quite a few so don't bite off more than you can chew - as they say ;)

As Ec says: try and get in the habit of providing links to Data Sheets or webpages to help others answer your questions.

One note of caution. I have heard of several instances of people buying supr cheapo Ebay-sourced GLCDs to do a DIY LED042. And it goes wrong. A 'bargain' turns into a nightmare. And when they buy a branded GLCD it magically works .... is there a lesson there?
So, be careful with your purchases.