Unrecognised Escaped Char

tjetson

Hi there. I'm using PE version 5.3.0 under Windows 7 x64. I'm trying to download some code to an 18X. The code contains the line
Code:
pause 4000
At the start. When trying to compile, simulate or syntax check, it highlights the above line and comes up with the following error:
Code:
'pause 2000

Error: Unrecognised escaped char 0x4E; will use it anyway.
I even tried to download while commenting out the pause line, but the error persists. Removing the line gives the same error, but with nothing highlighted and the error message has a blank space instead of quoting the offending line. I have been able to download before under this version of the editor.

EDIT2: I can download other files which still contain a pause at the start, so might this be a corrupt .bas file on my PC or something?

EDIT: It actually appears to highlight the first line of the code, not necessarily the PAUSE line. I removed it and deleted the 2 or so lines beneath it till the first line was a DO. It now highlights this DO and still has an error. It appears to always be a 0x4E error, if that helps.

EDIT3: And now the error has disappeared completely. All is well :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This normally occurs when you have an 'invisible' character on screen, which mostly occurs after a cut and paste from a PDF file or swapping a file between linux/windows/mac.

In general completely deleting the offending line (until the line above become the current line) will solve it.