tone evaluation

wob_b

This is almost a more general electronics question, but I would like to have the frequency of a tone, picked up by a mic, inputed into a picaxe chip. Does any1 know of a way this could be done easily?

Thank you

Andrew Cowan

What's generating the tone? This will affect how easy it is to pick up. However, even if it is a perfect sine wave, it is still going to pretty complex to recognize. Maybe there is an external IC that can turn frequency into voltage. However you would need something to remove interference.

A

boriz

Once a signal has been suitably buffered, the Picaxe can easily determine its frequency using a simple COUNT command. I assume you are talking about audio frequencies < 20Khz. Complex signals containing many different frequency components might prove difficult, but a simple tone should be easy. See the manual under COUNT command.

The electronics should be pretty easy. I’ll work out a circuit diagram once I have more details. Exactly what sort of tones are you talking about? What’s the source? What’s the big picture?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A number of Guitar Chromatic Tuner projects have been completed using a PICAXE. A Forum Search should give more information and discussion on detecting tones.