Things were working, now they aren't

Pat13

I have a setup for two animatronics that was functioning fine and as I added additional components it ceased to work.it seems to be hardware, rather than software. Setup that was functioning is as follows: 18ME controlling four Tenda mp3 players. Two groups of two 08M2's controlling 6 servos. 18M2 and servo powered by computer power supply. 08M2's powered by 5V cell phone charger (on meter reads 4.97V). 8M2s' provided signal only to servos. The problems began when I added an additional set of boards to control sound to servo and used a seperate power supply to power two tenda boards (9 V cell phone chargers). Program on 18M2 stopped working and now I am getting "device not found. One set of 08's is working, but was erratic in operation (appeared to shut down) second set not working, but will accept download. All grounds are tied together and the is 470 uF 35V caps across + and- of each group of six servos. Is it possible for a picaxe chip to be damaged but still accept a download. I am a little perplexed. I am under the assumption that tying the grounds together should help to eliminate issues TIA for any help.

nick12ab

Do you have decoupling capacitors fitted?

(by which I mean a capacitor of around 100nF for each IC and fitted close to the power pins of its associated IC)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is possible a PICAXE could be damaged but still accept download. The most likely case of that would be a damaged I/O pin which took out just that pin or a port that was not used for downloading - That would be a PICmicro port rather than the PICAXE port numbering which can differ.

Probably the best thing before doing anything too drastic is to remove the PICAXE chips and test on a breadboard or in a test circuit to see if you can download there ( with Hard Reset as necessary ), and then test every I/O line for high, low and input. If that all works then it should likely work back in the current hardware.

Pat13

If you remove the additions does it work :confused:
For the most part, no, it doesn't. The 18M2, which is the mother board for this project controlling the tenda thru it's Rx and "Busy" pins is not running it's program. The project uses a total of six 08M2s. As stated above, two sets of two controlling six servos per set (using multitasking, one servo per task). Of those two sets, one set is not working, although the chips accept a download. The other set was acting like the program was being interrupted and having to start over. As of last test, seems to resolve after 30 seconds or so.
The last two 08M2s were part of the new hardware added. Cannot tell if they are functioning as they are to receive right side of tenda stereo to drive a jaw servo to simulate talking. There seemed to be signs of life.

Do you have decoupling capacitors fitted?

(by which I mean a capacitor of around 100nF for each IC and fitted close to the power pins of its associated IC)
Yes, on each of the picaxe chips. And 470uf on each block of six servos. The tenda boards have their own decoupling caps.

It is possible a PICAXE could be damaged but still accept download. The most likely case of that would be a damaged I/O pin which took out just that pin or a port that was not used for downloading - That would be a PICmicro port rather than the PICAXE port numbering which can differ.

Probably the best thing before doing anything too drastic is to remove the PICAXE chips and test on a breadboard or in a test circuit to see if you can download there ( with Hard Reset as necessary ), and then test every I/O line for high, low and input. If that all works then it should likely work back in the current hardware.
Will give that a try. I have gone thru the circuit that was added to check for continuity and there is none where there shouldn't be, and continuity where there should. Have checked polarity and also verified that all grounds are tied together ( I did that before everything was initially powered up, but re checked). Not sure what has occured.