TextStar Serial LCD Display

geoff07

If you are asking if it would work with Picaxe, well, according to the spec (TTL levels, either polarity, many speeds, ascii implied) I expect it would. Worth a try I should say. Nice way to make a bar graph.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've seen these advertised in press releases and generally portrayed as 'cheap and easy to add and use'. Not so sure about "cheap"; I expect the DOG itself is cheap but it's adding the controller, serial to DOG interface, which adds extra cost.

As to connecting to a PICAXE; the datasheet mentions PICAXE by name and shows Basic SEROUT commands for interfacing to the module so that seems to be a definitive "yes" -

http://cats-whisker.com/resources/documents/cw-lcd-02_datasheet.pdf

I am a little disappointed that in examples of the "Battery Voltage" bar graphs I've seen ( in that datasheet and elsewhere ) none use a "g" with a descender. That could probably be created using CGRAM character programming.

john2051

Its a strange they chose the axe033 as a comparison. For two thirds of the price you get a proper display, one that can be mounted with four holes. You'd need a funny box to fit theirs in with all those buttons.
Still, each to their own....

Regards John