Talking chips ?!?!

Hey all !!!

I know this has been asked before but for some reason my searches keep turing up a blank so any links to other threads would be good too !

I have 2 picaxe 28x1 chips and i am currently using one to read inputs and outputs and then send the data via midi to a computer

This works fine...

But you only get 4 ADC inputs...

I have stumbled across chips communicating with each other before but cant remember how it works !!!

I need the second chip to constantly read inputs and send the data to the other chip which will then send that data on to the computer BUT WITHOUT INTERUPTING THE FIRST CHIPS OPPERATION ...

Sorry if its not really understandable !!!!

Any help Appreciated

Alex

Harware possible

It might be easily possible to do with hardware but i wondered whether i could do it with software.

I.e. a diode on each hserout pin to stop data reversal and then connect them both to the midi out socket.

Not sure wheather the data would clash though. I would like to try and chain about 6 of these together.

Alex

Dippy

Any comms link you add can slow things down.

In post#1 you mention 2 chips, then in post#2 you mention "about 6".

Is this Master + 6 Slaves? Or is it a 6 PICAXE daisy chain? Or what?

What is the Master doing? Is it getting data from the Slaves and sending it to a PC acting as 'Host' ?
Any interrupt to read data is going to cause a break, but a time slicing technique can at least provide predictable performance.

A system drawing would be nice along with a brief explanation of each PICAXE's task.

I'm afraid it's all too confused/messy for my poor grey cells. I'll leave it to the midi experts.