Tachometer using pulse width

Jeremy Leach

Tachometer using pulse width.

Hi
This is an old project (2006) that I'm putting on here as I no longer have a website, and someone might find it useful.

See attached PDF.

This article describes some horrendously complex maths to get a tachometer reading from an incoming pulse width. Even I find it baffling 2 years on and I wrote it !! But it might be of use to someone. Note that it might be easier with the new picaxe variants to just count pulses rather than use the pulse width.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hellmark

Ah, so you're the one responsible for the Rex Lantz digital tachometer. I've been really wanting to make one of those for my daily driver. Your work is a bit difficult to understand at times, but still fascinating.

José Lobo

Hi Leach,
thanks to your pages(yes, they are still on) i found the world of picaxe. I was looking for a homebrew weather station when i find your design. FANTASTIC... just what i was looking for although... for my personal taste, i would like to have separated displays and mount them in a picture frame or somehing alike and with wi-fi connection to a pc to show and record data in grafic,real time, way. Maybe some day when i'll know more on picaxe.
Now, i am also looking for an rpm meter for my old 1974 Toyota but Rex Lantz pages no longer exist. Is it possible to get a copy of the RPM meter???
Thanks again, cheers,
José