t4 PICAXE Trainer Kit

russbow

I would suggest no if you are hoping to put the battery output direct to the input socket of the trainer board.

There is clearly a voltage regulator next to the socket. You would need to apply at least 9 volts to the socket to get a regulated picaxe supply to the chips.

This of course can be 6 or more AA cells - watch your polarity.

@Rev-ed, the link to the data sheet from the AXE 055 actually brings up a CAT 12 page.

Could this then be powered by a 9v battery?

Could I connect it to the power test points (in/grd/out) just below the power socket?

The reasons behind the question is that I am about to get students to create programs for the picaxe range and will be teaching them in a normal classroom and so there will be no access to a mains socket to operate the power supply.

:)

Last edited:

eclectic

Could I connect it to the power test points (in/grd/out) just below the power socket?

The reasons behind the question is that I am about to get students to create programs for the picaxe range and will be teaching them in a normal classroom and so there will be no access to a mains socket to operate the power supply.

Until Technical gives a definitive reply,
I would suggest a careful trial,
using the test-points as connections to
V+ and gnd.
Addition. First try 4.5v, NOT 9v.

If it works, then fine.

e

Last edited:

westaust55

Yes you could use a 9V battery via the onboard 9V input connector.
The typical 9V battery is quite low Ah capacity and so may not last very long.

With respect to the power test points (in/grd/out) just below the power socketuse a multimeter to ascertain that those points are in parallel with the 7805 voltage regulator. If so, then it should be possible to apply 4.5V from 3 AA (1.5V) batteries to the Gnd/Out points as an alternative source.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This board is designed to be used with a 9V DC plug in the wall type power socket.
We wouldn't recommend a PP3 as it won't last long.

The 9V is regulated to 5V on the board via a regulator.

You could use 4.5V battery, but would need to connect it to the 5V rail on the board, for instance by the screw connector bottom right (V+ and 0V).

T4 Trainer

I connected the 3xAA battery pack to the V+ and 0V at the bottom right screw terminals (next to dip switches) and everything seems to work (even the power led is lit!) - however - I cannot seem to get pin0/out0 to work.

What happens is that the top bar on the 7 segment display (or green led) never comes on. This is happening on all of the boards and so is not an isolated case. I have checked in the manual, and tried the example, and can't see what I am doing wrong.

westaust55

Have you set the DIP switch to the correct position for the 7-SEG display?

Some of the outputs (LED, 7 segment display, piezo, servo) can be disabled via use of the 4 pin DIL switch
and consider
Output 0 is also connected (without buffering) to a terminal block at the lower right hand corner. This is for
connection of digital output devices e.g. the AXE033 Serial LCD module or USB030 MP3 module.
anything connected to that terminal in the lower right corner? :confused:

Thanks - it now works. It seems that I had a 'blonde' moment and connected the negative to the 0 terminal and not 0V terminal.

Thanks to everyone who suggested a solution to operating the T4 boards via a battery pack - it seems to works perfectly from 3xAA batteries.