Sunlike LCD SC1602C - does it work ?

bigbad

Hi all, this is my first post, so please be gentle... ;)

I am a newbie with PICAXE, and am trying to get a Sunlike SC1602C LCD module going with a PICAXE 20M processor. (with no luck yet ) I am trying to get it going in parallel 4 bit mode.

I have followed the wiring setups from revolution and hippy, and much of there code but still no luck. :(

I noticed that this LCD has PIN6 (Enable) as Level High with High to Low for triggering. Is this normal ? as it looks from most code samples I have seen that Enable is usually left LOW then pulsed to HIGH. :confused:

anyway I have tried both setups, with no luck....

I was thinking of geting a serial chip to se if I could get it to work !!
Or maybe another type of LCD display...

any Ideas for this DISPLAY

thanks in advance
BIGBAD

Attachments

inglewoodpete

After assembling your circuit, there are 3 stages of getting an Liquid Crystal Display working.

1. Is the LCD running? Wind the contrast pot up and down. Do the 'character positions' appear as (grey/black/coloured) rectangles when the contrast is set too high?

if Yes,
2. Is the electrical interface and timing working correctly? To test this, insert several 'Pause 5000' commands (5 seconds) in your code so that you can use a logic probe or LED+resister to check the timing of the data, enable and r/w lines. Extend the pause command period if necessary. Also, you could temporarily wire in 6 LEDs+resistors on the interface wires.

If that seems OK,
3. Finally, have you got all the initialisation commands going to the correct registers in the correct order?

It looks like you are using the Altronics 7001 device, which uses the same interface as the Z7000A and Jaycar's QP5516, which I have used. The 'enable' timing data in the documentation for all of these displays is a little hard to get your head around. What "H/H->L" means is that the enable pin must be high for the LCD to be enabled. The data is latched on the falling edge.

Peter

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The LCD looks to be HD44780 compatible so should work. Double check power supply, contrast and mis-wiring.

manie

Peter:
What "H/H->L" means is that the enable pin must be high for the LCD to be enabled. The data is latched on the falling edge
Could you elaborate here a bit more please ? Do you have to go H-->L with each character or set of characters etc. ?

Thanks so long
Manie

bigbad

Thanks - I will try a few of these suggestions - before I tear whats left of my hair out..

Will let you know how things turn out .

thanks
BB