Stuck 40X

I have just encountered a 40X that claims it has programmed but never does... It just continues to run the old program, even after I download a blank program. Is it doomed and is anyone else experiencing this?

ylp88

Not meaning to offend but you do have the right PICAXE connected right? Are you sure you're not blanking another chip instead of the one you intended to... I did that once... 2 PICAXEs on one breadboard and a whole lot of messy wiring.

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

It was right because it talked to the PC and verified, but didn't run the new program. Also, it worked with another 40X. It has firmware version 7.6 - is it possibly a bad batch of chips?

ylp88

Maybe starting a fresh would do good.

Hook up the 40X to a breadboard with the download resistors and power supply. Reboot the PC and start up Prog. Ed. and load your program. Then send it to the PICAXE...

Sometimes we overlook the most obvious of things, taking for granted that it would be right in the first place.

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

Tried as you suggested, Ylp88, but now it won't do anything. Probably just its way of telling me it was about to die. Mind you, I only programmed it ~20 times... Maybe it didn't like my circuit. Thanks for your time and help, anyhow.
Notwhoyouthink

SD2100

I had an 18X die on me yesterday, first came up with eeprom error so checked supply voltage etc etc, tried again then came up with hardware error, wasn't connected to anything and had only been programmed a couple of dozen times. plugged another 18X in and off we go no problems ????.

R.I.P

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've only killed one PICAXE (18X), by mis-wiring an LCD and adjusting the contrast pot which pulled an ouput pin to 0V which tried to source loads of current, behaved weirdly for a while, then finally went awfully quiet.

Having now got involved in PICmicro programming, slapped it in the programmer and it read the fuses okay which were as would be expected for an 18X. Wouldn't bulk erase but after some bit-bashing at it as part of other ongoing experiments I 'screwed something internally' and it's now erased and working happily as a 16F88 ( or so it appears ). So not all money down the drain :)

Edited by - hippy on 15/04/2006 18:18:19

SD2100

Hippy, I've used PIC's for a long time programming in assembly before getting sucked into PICAXES so I might do further
checks on the dead 18X, I'll see if I can
revive it in the programmer, this is the first micro that has stuffed it on me.