Storage Variable Endurance

Doogie

Hey,

I'm building a clock that logs daylight levels every 10 minutes from sun up to sun down and then "plays" back the daylight during the night (PWM a small lamp). Kind of a night light thing. I'm using a 24LC256 so I can store a years worth of light levels and play back a years worth of light levels. I'll be cycling the data through the 24LC256 so it will last a long time... 114 years as each byte can be written to 1,000,000 times.

What I'm not sure of is how many times can I write to the Picaxe 28x1 storage variables before they burn out? If it's only 1,000,000 times I'll have a very short life clock.

Thanks in advance.
Doogie

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If you mean variables like b0, b1, w0, w1 and so on, they have no such limits.

I would say "have unlimited lifetime", but that's not entirely accurate, although for most intents and purposes it would be a fair thing to say.

Doogie

Thanks Hippy

Had I been more on top of it I would have downloaded the Pic16f886 data sheet where it plainly says that the Storage Variables are Static RAM. Now I'm free to write, write, write and write again, as much as I want, to the Storage Variables, Scratchpad and Special Function Variables. Next time I'll dig deeper before bugging you.

Doogie