Stepper Motor Voltage

donrecardo

Hi
I have a stepper motor that I would like to have a go at driving with a Picaxe, however I havent used a stepper before so dont really understand them too well
The motor is an ac420484610 with 8 wires and according to the data sheet its details are ......

Step Angle 1.8Deg
Voltage 4.6V
Current 1A /Phase
Resistance 4.6 ohms/Phase
Inductance 4mH/Phase

Not knowing any better , I assumed that meant I should run it on 4.5 to 5v ( the data sheet says 4.6v) through an L293D and all would be well. However, when I look on the website from where I bought my motor I see they sell Stepper Motor Drivers and the one they say is suitable for my motor it tells me the voltage I need to input to the controller to supply the motors is 10v to 40v
So now I am confused , I thought I should run it on 4.6v as per the data sheet , but am I wrong ?
Lastly , the data sheet shows several ways of connecting the windings ,
Bipolar Series
Bipolar Parallel
Unipolar 4 phase
but which way should I choose, is one way better than another and if so why ?
Obviously it must make a difference depending on how you wire them or they wouldn't have offered me a choice , but what is the difference ?

Don

Andrew Cowan

Try it on 5V, and if it doesn't work (or seems very weak), you can try increasing the voltage.

Can you post a link to the datasheet?

A

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

I'd use it has a bipolar motor, and drive it with a L298 motor driver. That will cope with up to 26V.

4.6 ohms. 1A max.

V=IR

V=4.6 x 1

V = 4.6V max. Try it on 5 or 6V - it won't break it.

A

westaust55

I'd use it has a bipolar motor, and drive it with a L298 motor driver. That will cope with up to 26V.

4.6 ohms. 1A max.

V=IR

V=4.6 x 1

V = 4.6V max. Try it on 5 or 6V - it won't break it.

A
Yes, the L298 can handle 2 Amps per channel / Phase so will easily handle the 1 Amp load of the stepper motors referenced in post 1.