Step down regulated supply

westaust55

While it would do the sugegsted task, I ask why not just use a 7805 fixed 5V regulator.

The Surplustronics unit is rated at a max of 1 amp and the basic (not LDO version) 7805 is also rated at 1 Amp with a suitable heatsink.

Not many PICAXE projects other than robots will draw around 1 Amp. most will be say 100mA and no heat snk is required.

The Surplustronics unit is $9-50. I think you should be able to pick up a 7805 for a fraction of that price.

Last edited:

papaof2

It depends on the load and the power source.

If you have nearly unlimited power available, it may be OK to to waste the power in heat dissipated by the regulator.

If you're using batteries/solar with limited capacity, then the step-down wastes less power.

John

westaust55

MC34063 versus 7805

True papaof2,

Comparing the MC34063 with a 7805:
- The MC34063 efficiency is much better – great for battery operation
- The output voltage ripple is about the same
- The MC34063 Vout regulation (30mV) is 7 time that of the 7805 (4mV)
- 7805 has better short circuit protection dropping the current to 250mA (MC34063 is 1200mA for short time only)

Another potentially more compact switching type device as a 7805 drop-in replacement is
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW050.htm

LizzieB

Or if you are really into tinkering, this guy's website has some very simple (two transistor) but high performance low power switcher designs.

Dippy

"i was just wondering if the stepdown converter from the link would be alright for dropping 12v to 5v"
- well, er, um, if it works and is within your parameters then why not?

But is there a need for a swiching supply?

Switchers have far higher efficiency but produce noise. With a good design, both electrical and physical, can reduce the noise but you'll NEVER get rid of it. I've never used, or even heard of, the device you linked to. (Every man and his brother can make and sell on the nerdynet thse days). I could not tell you of it's quality.

Linear regulators are not so efficient but dead smooth.

If you gave a clue as to your application and current loads then people could advise. I have yet to design my swiched-mode crystal ball :)