StampPlot Pro

tjetson

Does anyone know how to get StampPlot Lite or Pro to plot values from a file instead of from the serial port?

Not technically a Picaxe question, I know, but I plan to use it in conjunction with a Picaxe.

I have some maths to do which will be a bit complicated to work out how to do on the Picaxe (negative numbers), so I plan to have a program on the computer read from the serial port, then do the maths and save to a file. I then want StampPlot to plot the values from this file.

Janne

How much data will be in a single plot? If it's somewhat reasonable size, then you could get away by simply logging the data in to a csv file from the computer serial port. Many free serial port monitoring programs are able to do this.

After that, you could use excel to modify and plot the data in whatever way you want.

tjetson

Can I make excel continually check the csv file for updates, though? I will be plotting 4 or 5 different sets of data (for a solar weather unit, temp, pressure, humidity, wind).

westaust55

Can I make excel continually check the csv file for updates, though? I will be plotting 4 or 5 different sets of data (for a solar weather unit, temp, pressure, humidity, wind).
Tentatively yes, by using say VB6 (if you are experienced with that)

This concept has been mentioned before in thread you have been involved in.
I have given a link in that past thread on this topic to information Jeremy Leach posted here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10367&highlight=Excel

tjetson

Tentatively yes, by using say VB6 (if you are experienced with that)
Not in the slightest, I'm afraid. Unfortunately it seems a bit too complicated for me. :confused:

If we could go back to StampPlot for a minute, the webpage by StampPlot's developers mentions this:
"Configurations may come from the controller or PC based text file (StampPlot Macro)."

Unfortunately I can't find this macro. Such a macro is exactly what I am looking for. I have Googled macros for StampPlot, had a look on their site and also had a look within the program itself, but I didn't find much.

I have also considered the option of doing the mathematics within StampPlot, but I haven't yet figured out how to do anything in their maths.

MFB

The Selmaware site provides extensive documentation on StampPlot. If you still have problems AFTER reading this I suggest you contact Martin Hebel, who wrote this application. He has always been most helpful when I have asked for help.

tjetson

I've emailed the StampPlot people asking them, but in the meantime I've found a different program called LiveGraph. It reads from a csv type file after a certain delay, which can be set. The program does nothing if there is no additional data since the last reading of the CSV, which is ideal for me. Thanks all for the help. I would recommend this program, it seems quite good. A Google will yield a download link for those interested.