sserial2mobile with picaxe - Remote Weather Station

Hi everyone,

Im looking at making a remote weather station, that will text me the wind conditions for kitesurfing at the beach, have found a weather station that will do the trick, but need to interface it with a cell phone or a GSM module to send the sms. The weather station I plan on using sends out a string of serial data containing all the data so that part should be quite easy.

For the SMS stuff, i found this info below. Would a Picaxe work with this design?

http://code.google.com/p/sserial2mobile/

I have one of the phones shown in the picture, to thought it would be a cheap place to start.

From the looks of it, do you just serial out the AT command followed by the number and the SMS? (+ delays e.t.c.)

thanks for your help

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Should work and there are prior discussions on using SMS with PICAXE on the forum. You need a suitable interface to the phone, need to know the right AT commands to use, and you may need to put the message in PDU format if the phone doesn't accept raw text message input.

In some cases you may be able to achieve a workable system with an 08M if sending text or can predefine the PDU encoded message to send.

manuka

Mark: Which beach - BoP maybe? Before you hit the soldering iron remember that active surfcams are now installed at many top NZ beaches, & may already be giving a web feed for your kite site!

Stan. (who lives a stones throw from a great windsurfing & kite beach - Eastbourne, Wellington Harbour).

In raglan,

There are a couple, but they aren't very accurate, or close to where we kite.

This is a complicatedish way of doing it, but will be a fun project :)