Speakjet or mp3 ?

1968neil

Hi Guy's

Im looking at using a speakjet ic to interface with an axe.
Using the serout command to get the jet to say the text when an i button is read correctly ie: "Hello Neil Access granted".

My problem is the audio quality isn't exactly good. (aweful in fact !)
What i was thinking was to use a cheapy mp3 player with pre-recorded messages (using real human voice).
I can't seem to find much in the way of data sheets for any of the cheap players.
then I noticed on the Rev-ed website that the VMusic2 MP3 module
plays such files from a usb memory stick.
Does anyone have any experience of these ?
Its a little more expensive than the jet but the quality would be way better.
I need to find out if i can get the vmusic2 to play a particular file when selected by an axe, depending on the key info from the ibutton ?
Thanks again guys.

Regards

Neil

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Certainly should be possible and control is relatively straight forward. I haven't used one myself but a Forum Search ( top right of page ) will turn up previous projects.

Although more expensive than a cheapo 'MP3 player on a stick', what you gain is ease of use and interfacing, documentation, plus support for the actual unit. Though it should be possible, controlling a hacked MP3 player takes time to work out how to do it and you are pretty much on your own. It may also end up incredibly clunky, slow or unreliable as you are likely only able to control it by simulating its button pushes.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I need to find out if i can get the vmusic2 to play a particular file when selected by an axe, depending on the key info from the ibutton ?
No problem at all, you can play different filenames at will, so just select a different filename for each switch.

1968neil

Vmusic it is !

thanks for the advice guys.
Will order one on monday and have a play.

Many thanks again.

Regards

Neil